Pay check

This is a discussion on Pay check within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by kapnketel Entitlements take up most of the Federal budget Exactly. How about we ditch all the entitlement programs. I'll take care of ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Pay check

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Entitlements take up most of the Federal budget
    Exactly. How about we ditch all the entitlement programs. I'll take care of myself and the Federal government can just concentrate on wars; at least wars are actually within their Constitutional purview in the first place.
    Doghandler, mg27 and packinnova like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I do the math on these things fairly often and it just burns me up. The math on my newest pay stub says that between Federal income, OASDI and State income taxes I will pay 21% of my income to taxes this year. Yes I will get a refund next year so it's not a true 21%, but I wont get that money, my money, back until next year.

The sad part is that the above mentioned 21% doesn't cover property tax, sales tax, taxes on gas, auto registrations and a myriad of other taxes I'll be paying this year and NONE of them offer me a refund. I'll bet that close to 45 or 50 cents on every dollar I earn goes away from me as a tax. I'm getting a little sick of it.
    Sorry if this comes off as offensive, but I think you might be doing it wrong. You might be able to claim more exemptions to reduce your automatic withholding as well as itemizing the amount you pay for sales tax to get a bigger deduction than you would get from the standard deduction.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Sorry if this comes off as offensive, but I think you might be doing it wrong. You might be able to claim more exemptions to reduce your automatic withholding as well as itemizing the amount you pay for sales tax to get a bigger deduction than you would get from the standard deduction.
    I think right now I'm claiming married and 7 Federal and married and 4 state.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Everyone that pays a payroll tax is going to pay more in taxes. The increase is from the Bush tax cut expiring and not being renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Yeah me too! To the tune of about $200
    Yep...count me in this group as of Friday. Freakin blows!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Everyone that pays a payroll tax is going to pay more in taxes. The increase is from the Bush tax cut expiring and not being renewed.
    Incorrect. The 2% "increase" in taxes is from the temporary stimulus Obama put into effect 2 years reducing the social security tax taken out of paychecks. As agreed upon by democrats and republicans, this was allowed to expire. No additional tax increases went into effect for anyone making less than 400,000 a year.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I do the math on these things fairly often and it just burns me up. The math on my newest pay stub says that between Federal income, OASDI and State income taxes I will pay 21% of my income to taxes this year. Yes I will get a refund next year so it's not a true 21%, but I wont get that money, my money, back until next year.

The sad part is that the above mentioned 21% doesn't cover property tax, sales tax, taxes on gas, auto registrations and a myriad of other taxes I'll be paying this year and NONE of them offer me a refund. I'll bet that close to 45 or 50 cents on every dollar I earn goes away from me as a tax. I'm getting a little sick of it.
    Wait til your taxes on everything exceed your income so you have to make more money to pay the taxes on your other money,but then realize you have incurred more tax liability and the only way to get ahead is sign up for welfare since you can't afford to work
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Just a slight taste of what is coming. The addict needs more money to feed its habit.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Incorrect. The 2% "increase" in taxes is from the temporary stimulus Obama put into effect 2 years reducing the social security tax taken out of paychecks. As agreed upon by democrats and republicans, this was allowed to expire. No additional tax increases went into effect for anyone making less than 400,000 a year.
    By your logic you would have been OK with letting all expiring past & present tax decreases just expire which wouldn't be a tax increase? Same should go for all expiring tax increases that had time limits on them but wait temporary tax increases never really expire as well as governments over reaching their true & constitutional authority.

The reason Government at all levels does what they do is to control & dominate the average citizen. They pass laws such as ObamaCare, Fiscal Cliff package etc.... that they don't even bother reading or understanding because? They aren't effected by them & never will be. Anytime they create a new law or tax they protect their selves from it with exemptions. New gun laws will probably have exclusions for past & present members of Congress.

Any tax decrease aloud to expire is a TAX Increase as well as any Tax increase aloud to expire is a decrease but we all know what happens with this type of increase.

This is the same logic I use with any branch of Government.

Senate, House, President, LEOs etc etc etc........ They all enforce laws but are rarely if ever held EQUALLY accountable as others are.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Anyone else get a smaller pay check than they were expecting? My taxes (OASDI and Federal tax) went up $183.
    why were you expecting your pay check not to go down? pretty sure everyone that doesn't watch only MSNBC and CNN knew about Obama doing this.
    mcgyver210 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    why were you expecting your pay check not to go down? pretty sure everyone that doesn't watch only MSNBC and CNN knew about Obama doing this.
    As long as he keeps spending as he is we will have many more taxes added, the writing was & is on the wall. The people that actually earn what they receive are going to pay for more & more entitlements.

The next four years will be harder than the last & I truly believe he will not be satisfied with only 8 yrs & will try to stay in control as any dictator has done in history. If he manages to get our weapons the fight is over.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

I do the math on these things fairly often and it just burns me up. The math on my newest pay stub says that between Federal income, OASDI and State income taxes I will pay 21% of my income to taxes this year. Yes, I will get a refund next year so it's not a true 21%, but I wont get that money, my money, back until next year.

Yep, when you add it all up. It's about half of your earnings.

And think, we seceded from the British Empire over 3% taxes. What would the founding fathers think of us now?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Yep, when you add it all up. It's about half of your earnings.

And think, we seceded from the British Empire over 3% taxes. What would the founding fathers think of us now?
    I'll tell you what they'd think; they'd think "what the [insert expletive here] were you guys thinking to allow the government to become this?
    mg27, atctimmy, phreddy and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by shadow247 View Post
    I freak out about ANY taxes, period. If it weren't for my wife, there is no way I would be living in the state known as the "Commonwealth of Virginia". Commonwealth just means they take money from the commoners and give it to the wealthy. Since moving here, I have paid personal property tax on my vehicles, to the tune of about 500 dollars a year, that is on top of registration and inspection. They've also got a sweet scam going where they make you purchase license plates for your vehicle, and if you let the registration expire on those plates, you can not register them to a newly purchased vehicle. I've been here 2 years now and have about 3 sets of license plates that are worthless now, yet I have paid over 120 dollars for them.
    Don't forget about the sales tax you paid on that vehicle when you bought it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links