Soldiers turned away at Ryan's

This is a discussion on Soldiers turned away at Ryan's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They pretty much exist to slop the hogs....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Soldiers turned away at Ryan's

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They pretty much exist to slop the hogs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have no idea what a "Ryan's" is , but can't blame a business for not wanting to deal with Government. I worked at a small auto shop here for a while. The State Park system brought us vehicles. We could not afford to store vehicles while a commitee decided on repair estimate increases once we took things apart to see how bad they messed it up , nor could we afford to wait three months for payment.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    I have no idea what a "Ryan's" is , but can't blame a business for not wanting to deal with Government. I worked at a small auto shop here for a while. The State Park system brought us vehicles. We could not afford to store vehicles while a commitee decided on repair estimate increases once we took things apart to see how bad they messed it up , nor could we afford to wait three months for payment.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but reading this reminded me we found out how to get paid immediately on any government invoice. Offer a discount - anything, like 1% 10, which means they get a 1% discount if they pay within 10 days. Government agencies are REQUIRED to take a discount if offered. We always got paid within 10 days.
    OldVet and Bark'n like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but reading this reminded me we found out how to get paid immediately on any government invoice. Offer a discount - anything, like 1% 10, which means they get a 1% discount if they pay within 10 days. Government agencies are REQUIRED to take a discount if offered. We always got paid within 10 days.
    That's what the internet is for, so hijack away!

I have dealt with the city government many times, and it was more of a hassle than it was worth. We gave them an upfront discount on labor, to the tune of 20%, then when we would take a car apart and find additional damage related to the collision it was always the same story. "You provided an estimate for the repairs and we require that you honor that estimate," I would always reply, " Did you read the fine print at the end of the estimate? It clearly states that this is an estimate only and that additional hidden damage may be found upon start of repairs."
    After several back and forth phone calls, usually over a period of weeks, they would finally approve the additional repairs. The day after approving the repairs, they would be hounding me to get the vehicle back, saying I was unnecessarily delaying the repairs and all kinds of other BS. Then it would be a month or two before we would finally get paid.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Works often on medical bills also, Gov't and civilian agencies alike.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They pretty much exist to slop the hogs.
    What did the hogs ever do to you?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

When I was in the Guard as officers we would have to pay for our own meals. The enlisted (of which I was 13 years) had to sign a meal roster and ate free. The company clerk had the credit card and settled up when we left after each meal. The place we ate at when I got out was a mom and pop operation and the manager was former military. He was great to us.
    At one with the gun.

I know the DoD is getting away from contract feeding and using the pay at time of service with the cards.

This could just be a case of miscommunication.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links