22nd Amendment Under Attack

This is a discussion on 22nd Amendment Under Attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A bill has been introduced in Confress to repeal the 22A - term limits on the pres. Now, this is not the first time this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 22nd Amendment Under Attack

VIP Member

22nd Amendment Under Attack

A bill has been introduced in Confress to repeal the 22A - term limits on the pres. Now, this is not the first time this has been tried, and I don't see it going very far, but it is just another indicator of the Left's agenda. As long as we are all writing our reps, this is just another topic to bring up.

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President. (H.J.Res. 15) - GovTrack.us
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

You mean you are talking about this effort that has zero chance of passing anything sponsored by the same guy (Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15]) who has introduced this bill every two years whether a democrat or republican has been in office? Yeah....great LEFTISTS conspiracy.

The question about Serrano's efforts are not concerning Obama as it is a proven fact even Republicans leaders point to that Serrano has tried to get the 22nd Amendment repealed every two years since 1997.
    Here is a link to Snopes. I also looked at other sites to verify this information

Republican politicians have also tried to indroduce bills to change the 22nd A also.

snopes.com: Bill to Repeal the 22nd Amendment

Wouldn't it just be easier to say you don't like or trust democrats instead of posting something that is not true. The man has been doing this for years so I would have to disagree with your statement that
    it is just another indicator of the Left's agenda
    torgo1968 and Hopyard like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You mean you are talking about this effort that has zero chance of passing anything sponsored by the same guy (Rep. José Serrano [D-NY15]) who has introduced this bill every two years whether a democrat or republican has been in office? Yeah....great democrat conspiracy.

Here is a link to Snopes. I also looked at other sites to verify this information

Republican politicians have also tried to indroduce bills to change the 22nd A also.

snopes.com: Bill to Repeal the 22nd Amendment

Wouldn't it just be easier to say you don't like or trust democrats instead of posting something that is not true. The man has been doing this for years so I would have to disagree with your statement that
    Not all leftists are democrats and there are some democrats that I like. If you read what I posted, I state that this has little chance and is not the first time it has been tried. I also did not mention democrats - you brought that to the discussion. One of the biggest progressive leftists we have seen was Teddy Roosevelt.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are trying to say in it an indicator of "THe lefts" agenda." Sorry if I confused that with democrats. What agenda? The man has been trying to do this for years. Tell me how with the data available (one man who persistently does this even when a Republican is on office) that it is a Leftists agenda.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

VIP Member
    You are trying to say in it an indicator of "THe lefts" agenda." Sorry if I confused that with democrats. What agenda? The man has been trying to do this for years. Tell me how with the data available (one man who persistently does this even when a Republican is on office) that it is a Leftists agenda.
    Well, one of the biggest differences between the leftists and conservatives is strategy and patience. Leftists will plan for years and make repeated attempts to do things even when it appears to be against their interest - like trying to repeal the 22A under Bush. They know that if they can get their agenda in, even when it does not serve their immediate purpose, they can, down the road, make it work to their advantage. I wish conservatives were as patient and strategic as leftists, but, alas, they are not.

Personally, I don't think this guy will get far with changing the 22A, but as long as we are writing our congress critters, might as well mention it - which is really all I said in the OP.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Theory or fact LOL....I saw almost that exact same sentence being used on a political forum talking about Republicans LOL. Fact is nobody trust each other and if one wants to by into that theory it can go both ways. I need to get some coffee.

Edit: I can see your point though. Years ago the leftists elite bankrolled Serrano into office..his sole clandestine mission was to continue to push legislation to change the 22A. By doing this under all administrations it makes it look like he is not biased...but...wait....we figured it out. He has been a deep plant all the time! Whew! Glad he is exposed for this debaeuchery! j/k

VIP Member
    For me the bigger threat is that there are people more than willing to vote repeatedly for Serrano.

Does his proposal have any chance? Probably not, but other things have happened recently that I never dreamed had a chance either.

It's short sighted to say "never".
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    For me the bigger threat is that there are people more than willing to vote repeatedly for Serrano.

Does his proposal have any chance? Probably not, but other things have happened recently that I never dreamed had a chance either.

It's short sighted to say "never".
    What about the three Republicans that have brought forth the same legislation? Don't vote for them either?
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. - Thomas Jefferson

Just for fun....what do you think internet forums would have been saying when they introduced the 22nd A? Betcha folks on DC for the most part wold have been against it because we don't like to mess with the Constitution...rememebr...the FOunding Founders had right the first time (not)

VIP Member
    Well, this is, by large a pretty conservative group. I think that at time 22A was put into place this group would have been for it. I also bet that most members here would be for term limits on Congress as well.

If the founding fathers had it right the first time, the Bill of Rights would not of been needed. Even they understood that. So they created it. They would also have not included an amendment process.

VIP Member
    What about the three Republicans that have brought forth the same legislation? Don't vote for them either?
    Anyone who proposes something like that should be kicked out of office, no matter what party they represent.

Unintended consequences eventually rear their ugly head.
    ksholder likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Anyone who proposes something like that should be kicked out of office, no matter what party they represent.

Unintended consequences eventually rear their ugly head.
    Even if they supported everything else you stood for including the 2A.....

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Well, this is, by large a pretty conservative group. I think that at time 22A was put into place this group would have been for it. I also bet that most members here would be for term limits on Congress as well.

If the founding fathers had it right the first time, the Bill of Rights would not of been needed. Even they understood that. So they created it.
    I am not disagreeing with but just take this at face value.

With that statement you acknoledge that the Founding Fathers were wrong or not perfect in drafting the Constittuiton. They did not and could not forsee everything. This is noteable by the amenedments to include slavery and the sufferage movement.

Now...how can we say to anti's that on one hand the Founding Fathers had it wrong or could not envision the future but then on the other hand say that they got the 2A right 100 percent.......just playing devils advocate here.....

EDIT: BTW...needed to throw the 2A in so it stays within forum rules

VIP Member
    I am not disagreeing with but just take this at face value.

With that statement you acknoledge that the Founding Fathers were wrong or not perfect in drafting the Constittuiton. They did not and could not forsee everything. This is noteable by the amenedments to include slavery and the sufferage movement.

Now...how can we say to anti's that on one hand the Founding Fathers had it wrong or could not envision the future but then on the other hand say that they got the 2A right 100 percent.......just playing devils advocate here.....

EDIT: BTW...needed to throw the 2A in so it stays within forum rules
    Suntzu - Now you are arguing a non sequitur. The fact is, when the founding fathers realized they had not included rights needed to be included in the Constitution, they amended it. The legislation under question in today's environment has no intention of amending the Constitution or changing Second Amendment. The agenda underfoot today simply seeks to undermine the Constitution by ignoring the Second Amendment rather than changing. If the left were actually intellectually honest in this effort, they would in fact repeal the Second Amendment or make modifications to it to suit their needs. But, unlike the FF, that is not what they are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links