How far will you go boycotting "anti 2A" companies

This is a discussion on How far will you go boycotting "anti 2A" companies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How well did the boycott of BOFA over the new charges work this summer? Pretty good from the looks of it. They backed down. Last ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How far will you go boycotting "anti 2A" companies

How well did the boycott of BOFA over the new charges work this summer? Pretty good from the looks of it. They backed down.

Last year we pushed hard in NC on Harris Teeter grocery stores when they posted all their stores. They caved in about 3 weeks.

It can work, if enough people get involved.

I have a list of places I refuse to do business with. Do I unknowingly do business with others that are anti gun? Probably. But when and where I can, I choose not too. We quit grocery shopping at Walmart because of how I was treated while OC'ing in one of the stores. They finally resolved the issue, and I shop there occasionally. But the bulk of our grocery shopping is at regular grocery stores now. Their reaction caused us to stop, once we found out it was cheaper elsewhere we stayed away. So much for everyday low prices, I should go thank them.
    phreddy and MamaMaria like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    It has as much to do with chance as it does being careful, cautious and precautionary. I stay away from areas of poverty. ...... Americans by my definition. Everyone else I ignore or play pleasant with, but never get involved with.
    If I believed in voodoo I would curse you into poverty for that statement. I guess because I grossed $10k last year and live in a neighborhood that I can afford on that budget, it disqualifies me from being an American in your definiton. Good thing I don't care about your definition!!! I'm just living the American dream, at federal minimum wage, (sarcastic font:)I guess you should get the min wage raised considerably higher, so we can become Americans again. (/Sarcasim) Last time I checked, while it is theoretically possible to buy your way into "being American," it's not a requirement.
    There wouldn't be an America if it weren't for us poor folks slaving away in the service industry. I suppose you'd rather I give up my job to someone from another country?
    Hopyard likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Guess what I am saying is "do you really make a difference?"
    Maybe not but when they close the lid I want think that I stood for what I believed was right.
    suntzu likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Maybe not but when they close the lid I want think that I stood for what I believed was right.
    There are many different ways to stand for what you believe is right. There will be times and situations where boycotts
    work; and others where letters work; and others where walking the sidewalk with a sign will work. Keep in mind that
    with the large big box stores and the larger manufacturers, they are not their to please small segments of their market.
    They are not their to displease small segments of their market. They are their to sell to as broad a cross section of the
    population as they can reach. They can't afford to hold a public position on much of anything without losing some
    business. When they do publicly take a stand that they know will cost them some business, they will have balanced that
    against the likely gain from a different population segment.

In short, boycotts work well against smaller operations in local markets. They are about useless on a national scale
    unless the precipitant is so outrageous that almost everybody is angry at them. And then, as our OP stated, we all have the
    collective memory of a gnat.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If private businness concerns feel thay have to involve themselves in our lives to the extent of telling us how we are to live......I'm done doing business with that organization.....and as far as I'm concerned....Interpretation of our Constitution is not for Wal-mart or BOA to decide......they can shut it down.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    National organizations, such as Dick's, are effected by local boycotts of individual stores within the corporation, it is called gross corporate revenue and profit. The corporation is dependent on a fixed percentage of revenue from each of their stores and a decrease in these revenues effect the corporation across the board. One store may not have a major short term impact but does require a reassessment of their operation and the possible closing of the store(s) that don't meet a set return to corporate. Does anyone remember Falstaff beer? One the oldest and largest beer breweries in America at the time ceased to exist after a small local boycott snowballed into a national boycott. Never under estimate the power of the people.
    phreddy likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Hardly country club. Lol I'm lower middle class. I speak of a class of character. And I am all about me and mine. You are 100% correct that if it didn't affect me I would be fine with anything being trashed. But nobody here said anything about trashing the whole constitution, merely one element of it. Don't go blowing this out of proportion crying Wolf her guys. I'm fine with debate and exploring other points of view, but when words start getting put into mouths and extreme exaggerations take place of fact, well, then you're just liberal. Ooooooooo....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Those who don't understand history are doomed to repeat it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    How well did the boycott of BOFA over the new charges work this summer? Pretty good from the looks of it. They backed down.

Last year we pushed hard in NC on Harris Teeter grocery stores when they posted all their stores. They caved in about 3 weeks.

It can work, if enough people get involved.

I have a list of places I refuse to do business with. Do I unknowingly do business with others that are anti gun? Probably. But when and where I can, I choose not too. We quit grocery shopping at Walmart because of how I was treated while OC'ing in one of the stores. They finally resolved the issue, and I shop there occasionally. But the bulk of our grocery shopping is at regular grocery stores now. Their reaction caused us to stop, once we found out it was cheaper elsewhere we stayed away. So much for everyday low prices, I should go thank them.
    On Ohioans for Concealed Carry, the group did much the same to Kroger when it posted its stores in the Ohio area. We e-mailed and boycotted. It took a few weeks, but the signs came down.

I personally, and as far as I know single handedly, got a local restaurant chain to remove its signs. All it took was a little time and a couple of e-mails with their general counsel. It is not always that easy, but it can be. One thing is for sure, if you don't try, it won't happen.
    phreddy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I don't consider the "Big Picture" of my actions. I don't shop at businesses because I decide based on my own set of values. How much effect it has is only of peripheral interest to me. You must make a decision like this for yourself and to be truly moral you must be true and consistent to your own set of values. If I decide that I won't shop somewhere, it matters little if others agree. So, the question "do you think I make a difference?" is meaningless. The question is "Do you think you are doing what you consider the right thing?"
    chuckusaret and ccw9mm like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links