Recommend some old, non-slanted American History books

This is a discussion on Recommend some old, non-slanted American History books within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by gasmitty You have to be very, very careful about what constitutes "non-slanted" history books. Remember that winners get to write the history ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Recommend some old, non-slanted American History books

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You have to be very, very careful about what constitutes "non-slanted" history books. Remember that winners get to write the history.

I think ultimately all history books will have the bias of the author, so you really need to approach a given topic from more than one viewpoint. Fore example, an excellent book about Teddy Roosevelt is "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris, but this view of TR is trashed by those who paint him with the broad brush of a "progressive."
    Good points. It's all about the writers. If you read a book about the Civil War it's going to be very different depending on which side the author's sympathy lies. Even things that you think are objective, such as dates, can be subjective...or at least open to nit-picking discussion.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Good points. It's all about the writers. If you read a book about the Civil War it's going to be very different depending on which side the author's sympathy lies. Even things that you think are objective, such as dates, can be subjective...or at least open to nit-picking discussion.
    That's a fact. Some authors aren't convinced it's over yet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I like reading multiple sources about history so I can have multiple points of view. I also like reading period first person accounts (diaries and journals) from the time periods that I am interested in, that way I get people opinions from history before it was history
    rstickle and aus71383 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Re: Recommend some old, non-slanted American History books

Thanks for the thoughts and advice everybody!

I guess what I meant by non-slanted was current American history books that have really dumbed down the principles that our country was founded on. Slanted away from American exceptionalism I guess.

Keep 'em coming!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice everybody!

I guess what I meant by non-slanted was current American history books that have really dumbed down the principles that our country was founded on. Slanted away from American exceptionalism I guess.

Keep 'em coming!
    The author I recommended basically shows similarities between the American political system post WW2 and during the cold war and totalitarian systems of past and current governments. Definately slanted away from American exceptionalism.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

When I posted earlier I was wracking my brain for the Harvard author whose name escaped me. Minus the pressure of getting my butt out the door, it came to me - Samuel Eliot Morison. He was a close friend of one of my most respected college profs, and his notable works are found in the cited link, in the "Works" section. Samuel Eliot Morison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

History has been slanted since long before books.

The world is a ghetto
    War
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Although a newer read, I can suggest David Barton's "The Jefferson Lies". In it, he explains how modern historians have revised history and slanted actual events. He also suggests reading original publications and pre 1900 publishing dates.
    Just picked this up. Eye opening.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    A must read is McCullough's John Adams. Given that Adams left a huge amount of letters and documents, it is the best first person insight as to the founding of this country I have ever read. It will give you the best understanding of the early years of our country than any other book written to date. Then go get Team of Rivals.
    Second John Adams, it was the first title which came to mind.

Although not an old print, the following overall reference might be good: "A Patriot's History of the United States" by Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen.

I'm gonna be brutally honest here.

History, as written. Is a compendium of lies. There will be no completely un-slanted versions of history. There will be dang few that are only partially unbiased.

The more documentation you can find in the form of writings of historical figures is going to be the least corrupt...But the fact is that you would be looking at the writings of that historical figure... are you then going to read the writings of his detractors?

They have said that history is written by the victors... that is true. But even more truth can be found in one simple exercise. Break down the word history.... His Story.

With the most advanced means of collecting data to date, regarding our own "gun issue," there is no compelling evidence for either side in the argument of more gun=less crime or more guns= more crime...

Even the historical writings like the Federalist Papers... the only reason they were ever seen by the public was that somebody had the money to publish them. The only reason they made it into print in books is that somebody decided to save them, because they agreed with what was written, and wanted to save that, and disseminate it for future generations, and had the money to do so.

There is truth on both sides of every issue... you have to decide which truth you choose to believe... and then, until you change your position, you will be, in the pure definition of the word, a bigot.

That said, any recommendation above, is as good a place as any to start your quest.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The all encompassing or even period specific books are always disappointing fluff IMO. I'd look at specific events/figures for real in depth study. Otherwise I feel youre missing the whole picture. Just what ive noticed over the years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links