"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists" - Page 2

"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

This is a discussion on "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Funny what a couple generations of failure to engage, communicate, enlighten has resulted in. Unsurprising. And not all that funny, either. Personal responsibility. Parenting. Hard ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

Funny what a couple generations of failure to engage, communicate, enlighten has resulted in. Unsurprising. And not all that funny, either.

Personal responsibility. Parenting. Hard work. Education. The "golden rule." Balance and moderation. What a concept. And if those were foremost in everyone's lives, I'd bet that much of the storm of disconnected insanity would evaporate ... after a couple more generations. If only.
    iguanadon likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I would call the author of that article a boring, unimagitive, old fart. He's trying to blame the products of our society with the problems of our society. Products are never a problem, people are the problem.
    Interesting point steffen... along the same lines of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."....

"Video games don't make deluded narcissistic people, bad parenting makes deluded narcissistic people."
    TX expat and OldVet like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    We ARE raising a generation......etc.....???? How about we HAVE raised 2 generations of selfish twits and are continuing with the current crop of kids. Seems like the good kids are fewer and fewer.
    I would disagree. There are many, many brilliant people in the younger generations and its foolish to make general statements like that.
    DandLfam likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Interesting point steffen... along the same lines of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."....

"Video games don't make deluded narcissistic people, bad parenting makes deluded narcissistic people."
    More like, narcissistic people are to blame for themselves and they should be held accountable for their actions, not their parents, not the media. It's a pretty simple concept, but it's hard to put into practice.

More like, narcissistic people are to blame for themselves and they should be held accountable for their actions, not their parents, not the media. It's a pretty simple concept, but it's hard to put into practice.
    Well I'll meet you half way on this one... when parents plant their 6 year old kids in front of a TV with handheld video games to act as electronic baby sitters, the kids have no control over that and of course will be thrilled with the visual stimulation. They don't know any better and have no reason to question their parents as to whether it's good for them or not.

Once you reach a certain age, by all means you should be held accountable.

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

I am not raising deluded narcisissts. I played video games, but also played in the street. The big difference was my parents made sure I knew the difference. Video games are no different IMO than the cops and robbers cowboys and indians shoot em up play games people (myself included) played. It is the reality at home IMO. I see kids everyday that I teach, and I have yet to be surprised by their parents. They are replicas. In some cases it is great and others it is scary. My job is to be a good parent and that will prevent my kids from being worthless nutjobs...pending head trauma which I also may give them if they act a fool!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    IMHO, the video games and blood and guts movies of today have no more of an impact on our kids as the shoot-em up cowboy movies of 1930's to the 1960's have on my generation. The problem is the lack of parent supervision and guidance and/or the lack of two parents within the home and the well documented fact that 60% of one groups offspring are being raised by the grandparents and have little or no contact with their parents. This coupled with a completely dysfunctional court system will perpetuate the problems. Births by never wed mothers continues to rise and the majority become a burden on our society.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    While I agree that society is producing deluded narcissists, I disagree with the author as to why people have this mentality. He is using the same old beat-the-dead-horse blame TV and video games for the worlds problems.

Well I'll meet you half way on this one... when parents plant their 6 year old kids in front of a TV with handheld video games to act as electronic baby sitters, the kids have no control over that and of course will be thrilled with the visual stimulation. They don't know any better and have no reason to question their parents as to whether it's good for them or not.

Once you reach a certain age, by all means you should be held accountable.
    Look at it this way. You hold the parents and the kids responsible for their own actions. If you can prove that the parents harmed their kids, then take appropriate action against the parents. If you can prove that the kids harmed somebody else, then you take action against the kids.

Keep in mind that you can't take action against a crime that hasn't been commited yet, no matter how rational your argument is.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    My wife made a point last night that rings true, I believe. FYI, I am 39,and she is 33. We are raising children that have never seen a day that email, cellular service, digital television, etc. were not available. It's in the schools in every classroom. Their friends have access to any and all forms of technology that may or may not be available in our home. Instant messaging, video games that allow users to speak with and interact with anyone around the world in real time, webcams (thankfully allow users to "virtually" speak face to face), etc. No one in my generation, nor the preceding generations, was raised in this type of environment. Her point in this statement was that no one from any other generation can tell the current crop of parents what is correct in raising their children. This ain't your daddy's world.

Even though things have changed, this is where we are. I told my son he has the fortune (and at times, misfortune) of growing up with amazing opportunities in areas we never dreamed of. He has the ability to learn how to do things that my parents and grandparents probably said would never happen in their lifetimes. However, regardless of how different things may be, there is one element that remains in parenting. Raising children in a way that teaches them the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, and the ability to make the right decisions and go down the most productive path.

No one ever said parenting was easy.
    PB2 and Jeanlouise like this.

Look at it this way. You hold the parents and the kids responsible for their own actions. If you can prove that the parents harmed their kids, then take appropriate action against the parents. If you can prove that the kids harmed somebody else, then you take action against the kids.

Keep in mind that you can't take action against a crime that hasn't been commited yet, no matter how rational your argument is.
    Dude, who said anything about a CRIME? I'm talking about raising kids that are able to function at a normal level in society. This conversation has gotten way off track. Never mind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    That which is not dealt with by the parent/s now will be dealt with by the Sherrif later.
    The problem is that there aren't enough sheriffs to protect our rights from the narcissists who think that they run things by their rules and their "know-what's-best-for-all-especially-me" ideas while the world waits for their cell phone call or text message conversation to end.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Dude, who said anything about a CRIME? I'm talking about raising kids that are able to function at a normal level in society. This conversation has gotten way off track. Never mind.
    I'm just saying, people can raise their kids however they want. I'm not going to get involved unless I can prove that they caused harm.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    We ARE raising a generation......etc.....???? How about we HAVE raised 2 generations of selfish twits and are continuing with the current crop of kids. Seems like the good kids are fewer and fewer.
    2? I count three, starting w/ the Baby Boomers.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I'm reminded of Chuck Palahniuk's quote from the movie "Fight Club." “I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. [Expletive deleted], an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [stuff] we don't need. We're the middle children of the history, man - no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't, and we're slowly learning that fact, and we're very, very [upset].”

(Posted with apologies to the grammarians on the board. It's colloquial spoken English. I've tried to meet standard grammar rules, but the last sentence defeats my efforts.)

FWIW, I don't agree with the "greatest men who've ever lived" sentiment. Greatest opportunity, perhaps.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links