"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists" - Page 3

"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

This is a discussion on "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These trends come from a whole generation of politically correct "self-esteem buiding". Self esteem doesn't come from telling kids how great they are all the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

These trends come from a whole generation of politically correct "self-esteem buiding".

Self esteem doesn't come from telling kids how great they are all the time whether they are doing anything worthwhile or not. It comes from teaching kids how to set achievable but challenging goals, and then making sure they work hard to actually achieve them.

When you tell kids how great they are all the time without challenging them and making them try hard you get (surprise!)... a generation of deluded narcissists.

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    My wife made a point last night that rings true, I believe. FYI, I am 39,and she is 33. We are raising children that have never seen a day that email, cellular service, digital television, etc. were not available. It's in the schools in every classroom. Their friends have access to any and all forms of technology that may or may not be available in our home. Instant messaging, video games that allow users to speak with and interact with anyone around the world in real time, webcams (thankfully allow users to "virtually" speak face to face), etc. No one in my generation, nor the preceding generations, was raised in this type of environment. Her point in this statement was that no one from any other generation can tell the current crop of parents what is correct in raising their children. This ain't your daddy's world.

Even though things have changed, this is where we are. I told my son he has the fortune (and at times, misfortune) of growing up with amazing opportunities in areas we never dreamed of. He has the ability to learn how to do things that my parents and grandparents probably said would never happen in their lifetimes. However, regardless of how different things may be, there is one element that remains in parenting. Raising children in a way that teaches them the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, and the ability to make the right decisions and go down the most productive path.

No one ever said parenting was easy.
    I agree with this. However, the problem starts when children are allowed to do as they please with all of these opportunities. There has to be balance. Not being allowed to play video games until chores and homework are done is a good start. Too many children and young adults these days feel they are entitled to everything rather than earning it. In my opinion, this attitude of inflated self worth and entitlement began with making every child feel like a winner. If you run in a race you get a trophy or ribbon just like the person who finished in first place, what does that teach? When these children grow up and get into the world that treats them like second place is only "first loser" they can't cope with it. Teaching children that they need to work for what they get and if they don't like what they get then they need to work harder to get more next time is the way to get them to understand the world and their place in it. Do the work first, then reap the reward. But then, when even our government confiscates what we work hard for and gives it to people who feel they are entitled to it for doing nothing, it's a very difficult lesson to teach children.
    Jeanlouise and GraySkies like this.

This whole country sucks. You want to talk about misguided and delusional, look no further than Congress. Average age roughly 60.
    DandLfam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    This whole country sucks. You want to talk about misguided and delusional, look no further than Congress. Average age roughly 60.
    ^^This.

To single out one generation is narrow-minded. This is not a broad stroke, an entire generation is not to blame. It's many factors starting with parenting, ranging from not enough butt-beatings to host teen-drinking parties. It's like saying, "every gun owner is a killer"...just naive.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    I agree with this. However, the problem starts when children are allowed to do as they please with all of these opportunities. There has to be balance.
    absolutely
    Not being allowed to play video games until chores and homework are done is a good start. Too many children and young adults these days feel they are entitled to everything rather than earning it.
    your last sentence explains this very well
    In my opinion, this attitude of inflated self worth and entitlement began with making every child feel like a winner. If you run in a race you get a trophy or ribbon just like the person who finished in first place, what does that teach? When these children grow up and get into the world that treats them like second place is only "first loser" they can't cope with it. Teaching children that they need to work for what they get and if they don't like what they get then they need to work harder to get more next time is the way to get them to understand the world and their place in it. Do the work first, then reap the reward.
    As a former athlete that used his God-given talent to earn a scholarship and graduate college, I teach my kids the value of winning, and also the value of losing. There is in fact first place, and then the rest. As a former little league coach, I despised the whole "all games are ties" approach. Drove me nuts. We won, you lost.

Funny thing is, my middle child (8 year old daughter) is driven to win at everything. She, and her 3 year old sister, will benefit from the lessons learned raising our 13 year old son.

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    ^^This.

To single out one generation is narrow-minded. This is not a broad stroke, an entire generation is not to blame. It's many factors starting with parenting, ranging from not enough butt-beatings to host teen-drinking parties. It's like saying, "every gun owner is a killer"...just naive.
    Hard to disagree about the country being a mess, but what do we do about it?
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman weighed in recently with his take on the media's role in shaping our children's behavior.

How do we stop the next Sandy Hook? Glenn talks with Dave Grossman about gun violence in schools – Glenn Beck

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Lt. Col. Dave Grossman weighed in recently with his take on the media's role in shaping our children's behavior.

How do we stop the next Sandy Hook? Glenn talks with Dave Grossman about gun violence in schools – Glenn Beck
    Blame the video games, blame the parents, blah blah blah. I have respect for both Beck and Grossman, but they are wrong here. They lost all credibility when they say people use video games to train for marksmanship.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

You reap what you sow... I love technology, and I cannot imagine going back to a simpler time... Think about it: when was a simpler time inherintly better? The '70's had disco, Middle East war, gas shortages... 60's had social unrest. Vietnam, and drugs... 50's had scandalous rock and roll, Cold War, Korean War, and apartheid 40's had World War II... 30's had Depression... 20's had prohibition, Gangsters and Stock Market Crash..... bottom line, everything seems simpler and better if you look at it from rose colored rearview mirrors, but it's still better now, if only we would manage our economy better... The "me" generation isn't to blame for the finacial mess we're in... they didn't cause the housing bubble; they never decided to expand the empire by invading two Asian countries at the same time...

The main problem with our younger generations and their sense of "me/entitlement" is that they cannot even see the huge collapse we have set them up for with our staggering national debt. Their sense of entitlement won't get them jack squat when they realize that everything around them is actually owned by someone in China..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links