"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

This is a discussion on "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An interesting article that makes some very valid points about today's youth. I myself have had this conversation with my 13 year old son, explaining ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

"We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

An interesting article that makes some very valid points about today's youth. I myself have had this conversation with my 13 year old son, explaining to him the mental and social problems that constant television, video games, electronic devices, etc. are perpetuating. The addiction to these devices is crippling to say the least. Of course, he doesn't see them as that big of a deal.

We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists | Fox News

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's exactly why it's up to the parents to make 'good' choices for their children.

Kids aren't ever going to grasp the negatives of dangerous behavior if it's pleasurable on the surface; they're kids, it's not their job to see stuff like that.

I'll tell you the sad thing from my perspective. I talk to other parents all the time and I hear plenty of people "know" how this stuff is bad for children, but my wife and I are the only one's I know who actually walk the walk. It's like people understand it's bad but just assume it's only bad for everyone else. Their kid is OK with the video games or the constant TV entertainment. It boggles my mind...
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One of the prime reasons I decided to end my military career when I did was the overwhelming influx of the "me" generation. They all felt "entitled" to outstanding ratings and promotions.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

That which is not dealt with by the parent/s now will be dealt with by the Sherrif later.

The world is a ghetto
    War
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I don't know why parents let their kids become tube heads, if it is nice outside I send the 2 oldest one's outside with the 2 dogs and they have a blast. Funny thing is that after about 15-20 minutes the kids in the yard start to multiply as neighbors send their kids out also.

Best part about it to me is that these kids are all playing game outside that kids should be playing at a young age, (Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, War, Hide&Seek, Baseball, Football & Basketball). They also know that when the street lights come on its time to go home.
    Jeanlouise and atctimmy like this.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

I would call the author of that article a boring, unimagitive, old fart. He's trying to blame the products of our society with the problems of our society. Products are never a problem, people are the problem.
    GunTrooper and Spade115 like this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I don't know why parents let their kids become tube heads, if it is nice outside I send the 2 oldest one's outside with the 2 dogs and they have a blast. Funny thing is that after about 15-20 minutes the kids in the yard start to multiply as neighbors send their kids out also.

Best part about it to me is that these kids are all playing game outside that kids should be playing at a young age, (Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, War, Hide&Seek, Baseball, Football & Basketball). They also know that when the street lights come on its time to go home.
    My grandkids hardly ever see the light of day due to an overly protective daughter-in-law.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm a young man, 24. My significant other is also 24. I would overwhelmingly agree, people born from the late 80's to now are a "me" generation. But they are the exception, not the rule. I come from a very small Christian town with guns and tractors. Raised on a farm, went to church, listened to country, and father was a part of the Navy Seabee's for 20+ years.

With all this being said, as with guns, there are the FEW TERRIBLE/IRRESPONSIBLE gun owner's that make us all look bad. Let's not generalize an entire generation just because a few of my fellow aged people's are idiots.

JMO FWIW

Derrick.
    goldshellback and Jeanlouise like this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

You know, kids can enjoy TV, games etc. and still have a healthy lifestyle if they just balance. I've done it for a while. Back in high school I managed to do pretty well in school, played for the school soccer team as well as a league outdoor team and an indoor team. I also reffed soccer, attended church on Wednesdays, Sundays and for other activities, did recreational reading and still had time to play plenty of games.

These days I play less and I watch almost no TV, but I still enjoy several games a week while working a full-time job, spending time with my wife, volunteering with the church, etc. And you know what? I still find time for Krav Maga training and other exercise. I'm in what I believe is the best shape of my life so far. I started out with balance, taught by my parents, and I'm doing pretty well for myself these days.

What kids need is responsibility and balance, which usually requires parents to do some, I don't know, parenting?
    TX expat and sauerpuss like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post

I think it is amazing how the internet has changed the way that people can be entertained. Its hard to analyze the differences between friends in the online world and the offline world. Whether you think it's better or worse, you can't deny that it is part of our world now and it's not going away.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Re: "We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists"

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I would call the author of that article a boring, unimagitive, old fart. He's trying to blame the products of our society with the problems of our society. Products are never a problem, people are the problem.
    Recent techno gadgets and communication are another illusion, new Towers of Babel that distract the consciousness and pollute the ontology.

The world is a ghetto
    War
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Recent techno gadgets and communication are another illusion, new Towers of Babel that distract the consciousness and pollute the ontology.
    I would consider instant communication with people all over the world pretty awesome. I don't want to go back to the stone age. Life might have been much more simple back then, but simple means that things like food, shelter, and reproduction were all that humans were worried about.

Edit: Also, if you think technology is so evil, then why are you using the internet to participate on this forum? By you're current post count you've poluted the ontology about 66% more than I have. (Don't take that the wrong way, because I love reading your posts)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    You know, kids can enjoy TV, games etc. and still have a healthy lifestyle if they just balance. I've done it for a while. Back in high school I managed to do pretty well in school, played for the school soccer team as well as a league outdoor team and an indoor team. I also reffed soccer, attended church on Wednesdays, Sundays and for other activities, did recreational reading and still had time to play plenty of games.

These days I play less and I watch almost no TV, but I still enjoy several games a week while working a full-time job, spending time with my wife, volunteering with the church, etc. And you know what? I still find time for Krav Maga training and other exercise. I'm in what I believe is the best shape of my life so far. I started out with balance, taught by my parents, and I'm doing pretty well for myself these days.

What kids need is responsibility and balance, which usually requires parents to do some, I don't know, parenting?
    That's exactly correct. There is no inherently "bad" in things taken in moderate, logical amounts. When you let things become the focus of a child's life, then you have opened the door for the influences that are better left out. The problem becomes understanding that there is no set rule for everyone. Some minds can cope with a lot more 'influence' than others can. Some stay healthy and some go to an extreme that is very unhealthy. In a lot of ways it's akin to alcohol. Some people can be around it their whole lives but never be dragged down to an alcoholic state. Other's will battle addiction from the first exposure.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

We ARE raising a generation......etc.....???? How about we HAVE raised 2 generations of selfish twits and are continuing with the current crop of kids. Seems like the good kids are fewer and fewer.
    msgt/ret and Herknav like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    That's exactly correct. There is no inherently "bad" in things taken in moderate, logical amounts. When you let things become the focus of a child's life, then you have opened the door for the influences that are better left out. The problem becomes understanding that there is no set rule for everyone. Some minds can cope with a lot more 'influence' than others can. Some stay healthy and some go to an extreme that is very unhealthy. In a lot of ways it's akin to alcohol. Some people can be around it their whole lives but never be dragged down to an alcoholic state. Other's will battle addiction from the first exposure.
    I would also argue that there is nothing inherently "bad" about taking something to the the extreme. While living like a hermit and spending the entire day inside your home on the internet might not be exactly what you want to do all day, that doesn't mean that you are better or worse than the guy who wants to do that. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that many famous and influential historical figures were hermits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links