PC junk or Sensitive?

This is a discussion on PC junk or Sensitive? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Don't think it was a PC move - either respectful as the wounds are still fresh or $$$$. I see PC stuff as outright banning/condemning ...

View Poll Results: PC bologna or Respectful?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC bologna

26 47.27%
  • Respectful

6 10.91%
  • Doesn't really matter either way

23 41.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PC junk or Sensitive?

Don't think it was a PC move - either respectful as the wounds are still fresh or $$$$. I see PC stuff as outright banning/condemning otherwise innocuous things b/c they might be taken out of context or exaggerated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Art imitates life. See ripped-from-the-headlines shows like Law and Order. Artists pride themselves on their relevancy. The decision to delete the theater massacre scene "was not entered into lightly".
    I think that it was made out of respect for sensibility and to maintain focus on the plot of the product and not detract from it with overbearing "political correctness"; and the screenwriter and director responded with what the screenwriter says is a better product.
    Political correctness is not always a bad thing in art if it causes self-examination of society. Art has to be free to grow and not be mired in tragedy. Maybe the violence in the movie is gratuitous. OTOH, maybe it is a good rendering of the violence of the society that it depicts and that has some corollary with the violence on big city streets today. Maybe the artists want to focus on that and not confuse the audience with a senseless act of random violence fresh in their minds.
    So is it mind control and desensitizing the consciousness toward political correctness? I vote just the opposite.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    I really don't see where it matters. It's all gratuitous violence. Without it, Hollywood would be just like Bollywood.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I couldn't care less either way. Now, that scene where they are shooting up the theater and coming through the screen - if they took the shot from head on and did a 3D film, that would be interesting.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The person who decides to be "politically-correct" is just saying the same thing in a different way. When I recognize someone being PC on purpose, I usually think they're just too afraid to say how they really feel. PC has its place, but so does Mac.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Don't think it was a PC move - either respectful as the wounds are still fresh or $$$$. I see PC stuff as outright banning/condemning otherwise innocuous things b/c they might be taken out of context or exaggerated.
    They're just taking out the violent part that most people don't want to see and replacing it with a violent part that people want to see. It's possible the change is coming out of the kindness of their hearts, but it's actually coming out of a love for their wallets.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Load of balogna in my humble opinion. In that case, let's remove all shooting scenes altogether. A shooting scene/murder scene comes too close to home with the recent shooting events. Hollywood will do whatever benefits it $$$. Remember the Jackal? People were up in arms because Bruce Willis' character killed a gay man in the movie. But if they had killed a straight woman or a priest or a kid...well that would be ok. Political correctness is garbage - it's a method of controlling how you think and what you say.

Crap I voted on the "respectful" and had no idea what the poll was about. That was a "special" moment

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Movies are all about $$. They probably see the political/media backlash as a loss of revenue. They'll rework the scene and everyone is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    It certainly has nothing to do with respect. Those people (Hollywood) don't respect anything other than money.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I really don't see where it matters. It's all gratuitous violence. Without it, Hollywood would be just like Bollywood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I couldn't care less either way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Crap I voted on the "respectful" and had no idea what the poll was about. That was a "special" moment
    I thought that this might be an intellectual conversation about violence in the movies.
    Do you guys pay to see movies? And give any thought to them? Careful with that finger, Maximpactguns, and keep it on the side of the keyboard until you're sure.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

A similar thing happened with one of the Grand-Theft Auto video games a few years back. They changed some thing within the game before it was re-released to cave to political pressure.

I'm gonna start voting with my wallet,most of these Asses are anti gun but portray gun slinging murderers in movies they get 7 figure pay days making,then claim guns are bad,No Hypocrites are bad and your not getting one more red cent of my money
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Now I'm confused. Are you gonna change your avatar again? Or is that reality? I'm gonna go see _Gangster Squad_. Pray for me.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna start voting with my wallet,most of these Asses are anti gun but portray gun slinging murderers in movies they get 7 figure pay days making,then claim guns are bad,No Hypocrites are bad and your not getting one more red cent of my money
    I started voting with my wallet many years ago. I can't remember the last time I was in a movie theater.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links