PC junk or Sensitive?

This is a discussion on PC junk or Sensitive? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw on the "news" that the new movie Gangster Squad pushed back its release date to January because they wanted to remove a scene ...

View Poll Results: PC bologna or Respectful?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC bologna

26 47.27%
  • Respectful

6 10.91%
  • Doesn't really matter either way

23 41.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PC junk or Sensitive?

PC junk or Sensitive?

I saw on the "news" that the new movie Gangster Squad pushed back its release date to January because they wanted to remove a scene in which the gangsters shoot up a theater full of people, sighing the CO shootings that happened.

What are your feelings on this? Is it sensitive and appropriate or PC bologna? Personally I am not sure how I feel about it. It is a movie and do not think it is a big deal that they removed it, but I have a thought that it also shouldn't matter. Not even sure why I am trying to make up my mind on it. I do not think things are ever black and white, so I am just personally interested in hearing others' thoughts.

The link has the trailer WITH the theater scene in it, near the bottom of the article.

Cutting room floor:
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I voted "doesn't matter" because people don't decide to kill people just because they see a movie if they aren't all ready demented.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I agree. Did you see that Sandy Hook thing in the latest Batman movie? People are sick because they are sick. I am not one to believe it would influence anyone to do it, but am wondering if it was the polite thing to do or an over reaction. Again it is just a movie (that I will go see none the less) but it continues the usual crap that we get filtered down to not offend anyone.

Thanks for the input JL!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    When Gangster Squad was postponed from its original fall 2012 release date in the wake of last summer's Aurora, Colo., movie-theater shooting, [screenwriter] Beall and [director] Fleisher quickly mobilized to devise a new sequence to replace a violent mob-ambush scene set inside Grauman's Chinese Theatre (and glimpsed briefly in the first Gangster Squad trailers). "The decision to get rid of that scene was not one that we entered into lightly, but I think everybody felt like it was the right thing to do," Beall says. "And I think it's actually a better movie with the new scene" - a scene, appropriately set in Chinatown.
    -LA Weekly. Scott Foundas. "L.A.'s Finest". Vol 35 no 7.
    It's not about saving lives. But I think that it's respectful and artistically sensitive.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Movies are all about $$. They probably see the political/media backlash as a loss of revenue. They'll rework the scene and everyone is happy.

They did it to get publicity for doing it. Good move.

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They did the same thing with Jack Reacher.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

REally? I never knew that. Saw the movie Sunday, enjoyed it except for a few glaring inconsistencies.
    BigJon

VIP Member
    Yeah, something got changed in the opening scene.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They sure did not and do not have a problem showing Vietnam war films.....................
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I have a rare superpower that enables me to seperate entertainment from reality. I've seen a lot of violent movies and played a lot of violent video games, still do. I'm probably halfway through my life and haven't killed or hurt anyone yet. I'm not sure if my parents, siblings, neighbors, superhero cartoons, and the bible had anything to do with this but somehow I've managed to learn right from wrong.

I reserve the right and relish the ability to research a movie or video game before watching or playing or allowing my child to watch or play. I feel it is my duty as a parent to know what my child is being exposed to. Do I shield my child from violence on TV, movies, and video games? Sometimes, but I also don't want my child to wake someday and kill over from the shock of seeing the world as I see it.

There is evil among us and you're not looking for it it may find you and you won't be ready.

If I were a screenwriter or producer or whatever I would not want my creativity dictated by political correctness. Here's my product (movie, game, book, etc), characters portrayed by celebrities who will make millions from this and then demonize the props they use. It contains these buzz words that society feels like we need to warn you about. Here is a rating we are also forced to put on it. Here is the google machine for you to research my product.

Do you feel like you or your children should be exposed to my art? It's up to you the individual, the parent, the young adult, the child to proceed with caution or run away back to your hole away from the yucky society. I'm also not adding any cutesy public service announcements against my art. You are either good or you are bad, my 2 hour movie didn't make you that way.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    For most of these kids it's not the videos, it's the lack of a good swift kick in the butt on occasion as needed.
    boscobeans and pfries like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For most of these kids it's not the videos, it's the lack of a good swift kick in the butt on occasion as needed.
    Oh you're so violent, but correct.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    It certainly has nothing to do with respect. Those people (Hollywood) don't respect anything other than money.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I have a rare superpower that enables me to seperate entertainment from reality.
    You, too? And here I thought I was all alone in the world.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links