Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children

This is a discussion on Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Regular family dinners when the kids are young are vitally important for parents to be able to reinforce their teachings and correct what kids have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children

Regular family dinners when the kids are young are vitally important for parents to be able to reinforce their teachings and correct what kids have been exposed to. My daughter has remarked about how she's learned more about certain subjects around the dinner table than she has at school.
    phreddy, Betty and cn262 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not too worried about school indoctrination - youth, inexperience, peer pressure and a natural trust in any and all authority figures may influence my children when they grow up, but since that's not something I can shield my children from their whole lives, I intend to do my best to give my kids the skills to think critically, and have open communication with them to be able to guide them on the right path. I'm also lucky to live in TN where the drone groupthink isn't bad in most areas (out of city limits, yay!). When I was in middle school, we moved from NJ to TN, and I was shocked to see the teachers paddled students and went hunting with them.

My son is three, so what I can teach him that will stick is fairly limited, but I think I'm doing a good job at trying to teach consequences and thinking skills. I've told him, "Mommy carries a gun to stop bad guys. We don't tell people mommy carries a gun because a lot of people are scared of guns and might think mommy is bad, and we don't want bad people knowing mommy has guns to try to steal them." I ran through it again a couple days ago, and he was able to give the whys and why nots, along with some good reasonings through a couple of scenarios I made up.

There are some very good Critical Thinking homeschool books to help parents teach their children this important skill and help them decide what to believe.
    I did some quick online searching and was pleasantly surprised to see books for children as young as three. I'm going to get some.

I commend those who do it successfully, and I've waffled on the idea of homeschooling, but admit I'm not going to homeschool my children. I think it's very important for children to deal with other teaching styles, varying authority figures, and be exposed to environments that may not always be fair. These teachers, as good or bad as they are, are good representations of the types of employers out there. I had teachers who loved me and teachers who hated me, and that was something I had to learn to deal with, and I think that made me a stronger person. But I fully intend to supplement their schooling with my own.
    Last edited by Betty; January 10th, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    msgt/ret and Ransom like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I commend those who do it successfully, and I've waffled on the idea of homeschooling, but admit I'm not going to homeschool my children. I think it's very important for children to deal with other teaching styles, varying authority figures, and be exposed to environments that may not always be fair. These teachers, as good or bas as they are, are good representations of the types of employers out there. I had teachers who loved me and teachers who hated me, and that was something I had to learn to deal with, and I think that made me a stronger person. But I fully intend to supplement their schooling with my own.
    Betty, thanks for the good post. Keep it up!

Homeschooling is not an all-or-nothing proposition. Our kids started homeschooling at different ages. We were blessed to have an excellent public elementary school with many Christian and like-minded teachers, so we did not start homechooling until they were in about 7th grade plus-or-minus a couple of years. Furthermore, we did not homeschool 100% on our own--there has been quite a variety including classes at a homeschool academy (much like a regular private school but only 2 days per week), music and drama academies, and when they reached 11th grade they started taking two classes per semester at the local community college. This last thing was great preparation for full-time college because they were already used to college classes plus they started college with a lot of credits to transfer--our oldest started his freshman year of college with 28 credits and several of his basic requirements completed!

Even if you never take your kids out of public school you can keep doing what you are doing at home: fill in the gaps and fix any teaching you disagree with. Best wishes with your little guy. Children are our greatest earthly treasure.

VIP Member
    My next door neighbor homeschools her daughter, and when my son is old enough to go to school, she will have an empty nest. I told her not to worry, she can take mine in for some misc. classes. She signed her daughter up for private classes on the Constitution, so we're on the same page.

Young children have such curious minds - mine is all up in the "whywhywhy" stage. While on one hand its utterly exhausting, its also prime opportunity to teach. Sometimes I'll quiz him about things on tv to make him rationalize them out. Like when a badguy character does something and why, and what should be done about it. I also have stranger danger and house/fire/public safety books.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Why should the fact that they are spreading their propaganda in schools... with success...be a surprise? They do it to adults all the time.

My brother (lacking anything else to discuss) asked the hubby and I, "What do you guys think? Does anyone really need a assault weapon like the one that nut killed all those little children with?"

Then his actual education on that incident began. He was told that the Bushmaster that was in the guys car wasn't used to kill anyone. He used handguns. Brother didn't know that. He was told about the guy in 1927 that blew up a school and killed over 30 children. He didn't know that. FBI stats show that crime is actually decreasing in our Country, but raising in places like U.K. He didn't know that. We discussed the young mother who shot the BG 5 times, stopping his crime, but not killing him. She could have used more ammo. He agreed. We told him that rifles are not usually used in crimes. He didn't know that. He was told that the largest segment of our society buying guns and getting training for self defense are FEMALES. He thought that and elderly were good candidates for CCW. He learned many facts that evening. This is how we correct the lies being told.....one brother (or sister) at a time and each child.
    Last edited by Spirit51; January 10th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Why should this surpriseanyone when its people like this that are educating our kids:

Teachers union leader jokes about killing the rich | The Daily Caller
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Schools are tools for socialization they always have been. Indoctrination? I would agree on a more national level, as far as patriotism (at least they were). As a teacher I believe that I should be objective in the classroom. I offer both sides of every issue. I do not feel it is my place to use my position to sway kids. That is what facebook is for! I give them information and let them choose. I try to bring in more information than I am handed at the beginning of the year to be as objective as possible and I freely admit it is a hard thing to do. Many do not. There is a teacher on campus that has literally cried because the kids yell "Obama" in her class and she looses it. Nutjob, no matter what side you are on.

I have always been critical of homeschooling in that teachers have gone through much more of a detailed education on a variety of subjects. I am a history teacher, I do not plan on being a math wiz and teaching my kids upper levels of mathematics. IMO the same applies with homeschooling parents/teachers.

@Ransom, I appreciate your families approach and not being afraid to seek help. To me that is what homeschooling should be.

To the OP I think our job as parents is to keep our kids following the path we believe is best. Some may say we indoctrinate our kids and I personally feel it is my job to indoctrinate my kids to be hard working, successful, self sufficient and not losers. So I am all for parental indoctrination. God knows there is plenty of it going on on the other end of the spectrum. Sure our little ones may veer to the left, or right from time to time, but as long as we give them the tools to keep on the straight and narrow, I think they, and we, will be ok.

Keep up the good work everyone!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Why should this surpriseanyone when its people like this that are educating our kids:

Teachers union leader jokes about killing the rich | The Daily Caller
    Talk about taking something out of context. She is correct in her historical statement. I do not see anything about espousing killing though.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

"Last night my two elementary school aged children mentioned the two-year anniversary of the Tucson shooting where Gabby Giffords was shot. They went on to tell me how "guns are bad and just used to shoot people." Wow, these are kids that go shooting with me on a regular basis, who have been exposed to firearms (and safety around firearms) their entire life, who are interested in hunting, and who are excited about going to training later this year. There was obviously a logical disconnect, but how could that have happened - and happened so quickly?"

My 13 yr old was basically told the same thing when she was in first grade. By that time, I had already started teaching her to shoot with a little 22LR rifle. My daughter mentioned that to her teacher and her teacher said she was too young to know how to shoot a rifle. We discussed it over the dinner table as well, and I was not happy about what the teacher sad. I called the princpal and schedule a meeting with her and the teacher that made the comment. The meeting was basically me telling them in not too many words that I did not appreciate the school/teacher voicing her "opinion" as teaching material. The teacher got defensive and I reiterated my opinion and that if her "opinion" was presented as teaching material, then she would be hearing from me again and it would no be pleasant. The meeting lasted about 20 minutes and I basically ended it by telling her and the principle that I respected their profession to teach reading, writing and arithmatic, but the social issues were to be tought by me and my wife and walked out. To this day, my wife uses me like a club when talking to the teachers in our school district. "Would you like for my husband to come down and talk to you?" The answer has always been "no" and that they would take care of it. I guess they have a file on me or something because each of my kids principals go out of their way to say hi by name to me even though I have never been introduced to any of them.
    BigJon10125 and Ransom like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I like parents like you txron! I guess it is because I do not do the opinion thing on school time. If the kids want my opinion I happily give it to them on breaks, but the classroom is for teaching.
    BigJon

BigJon,

It sounds like you are one of the good teachers (i.e., teach facts, expose both sides of the issue, and then promote critical thinking), so thank you for that. Relative to your peers, do you feel that you are representative of "many / most teachers," or are you in the minority? I wonder how many teachers "do what they're told," even if they don't completely agree with the policy, approach, or agenda, because of possible implications relating to making waves? Just curious if you have an opinion on this.

cn

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Teaching critical thinking skills and a healthy distrust/questioning attitude is key. I think that is one of the biggest things my parents did for us growing up. Respect people in authority, but question and evaluate.

If you can teach them that, then they can resist the brainwashing on their own. I read one study saying the the largest predictor of future success is not what school they go to or how rich or successfull parents are, but which families had dinner together around the table. Quality time with family and parents is formative and hugely important.
    Ransom and txron like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Why should the fact that they are spreading their propaganda in schools... with success...be a surprise? They do it to adults all the time.

My brother (lacking anything else to discuss) asked the hubby and I, "What do you guys think? Does anyone really need a assault weapon like the one that nut killed all those little children with?"

Then his actual education on that incident began. He was told that the Bushmaster that was in the guys car wasn't used to kill anyone. He used handguns. <snip>
    I appreciate what you are saying on the whole, but your facts on Sandy Hook do not match what I've read. The Bushmaster is what the killer used on those little children. It was a shotgun that was left in the trunk of the car. He used a handgun to kill himself. I think it was reported early that he used handguns in the school and left the AR in the car, but then the facts were later corrected.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying on the whole, but your facts on Sandy Hook do not match what I've read. The Bushmaster is what the killer used on those little children. It was a shotgun that was left in the trunk of the car. He used a handgun to kill himself. I think it was reported early that he used handguns in the school and left the AR in the car, but then the facts were later corrected.

Carry on.
    Hubby looked it up in wicapedia and it says you are correct. Thanks for correcting that. Still doesn't change anything I believe, but it is good to have correct information.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My son is in the 6th grade, and I ask him about political things that are mentioned by teachers. So far I've been impressed, not because his teachers are pro gun or pro conservative, but because they haven't really pushed an opinion at all. We seem to have good public schools in this area, no teachers unions, and a lot of great teachers. I know one teacher at my daughter's school that has her CHP, too bad she can't use it at school.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links