Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children

This is a discussion on Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Over dinner we typically discuss everyone's day and touch on current events. I like the idea of having the kids think of others and not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children

Amazing how easy schools can indoctrinate children

Over dinner we typically discuss everyone's day and touch on current events. I like the idea of having the kids think of others and not just themselves, to have an outlet for discussion, and to think of the bigger picture. Some days are better than others, and some days are full of surprises.

Last night my two elementary school aged children mentioned the two-year anniversary of the Tucson shooting where Gabby Giffords was shot. They went on to tell me how "guns are bad and just used to shoot people." Wow, these are kids that go shooting with me on a regular basis, who have been exposed to firearms (and safety around firearms) their entire life, who are interested in hunting, and who are excited about going to training later this year. There was obviously a logical disconnect, but how could that have happened - and happened so quickly?

So, we started to discuss this more. I asked specific questions, and got answers like "guns and concealed carry are good for you, but new people shouldn't get them." I replied, "So, I guess that means that you won't have any guns, including any of mine after I die?" They hadn't thought of that. I then asked them, "So, what happens when you are in a mall, at the grocery store, or even sitting home watching TV when someone or a small group of people decide to hurt everyone?" Answer: "We'll wait for the police!" Me - "What if you can't call them, or if it takes them 5 or 10 minutes to come - what now?" Answer: "That's why you have concealed carry, Dad." Bizarre.

We then talked about how bad people do bad things with whatever tools they have access to - knives in China, bombs in some places, sometimes they drive a car into groups of people, sometimes they start buildings on fire, and sometimes they use guns. The problem is the people, not the tools they use. Each of the tools can be used for good and bad, just like a hammer or a saw. That seemed to click.

We then talked about good and bad, right and wrong, and how we determine that. We talked about how believing in something other than yourself helps make people think twice about doing really bad things because they think about what happens to them after they get killed or kill themselves. They got this.

We then talked about how all this came about. It started with instruction about what to do if they see strangers in the school, see guns anywhere, or hear anyone talking about violence. That message was reinforced daily, and each day there were variations (maybe to keep things interesting, but more likely to promote their agenda). An anti-gun message was central to that messaging. At one point my son said he spoke up, but his teacher shut him down and didn't want to talk about it.

I'm thinking about the next steps with regards to the teachers and/or school. But, I thought that I would post this as it only took two weeks to get my kids thinking in a way that is inconsistent with what they have been taught and experienced themselves. If you have younger kids then you might want to chat with them to help ensure that something similar isn't happening to them.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I would go to each and every teacher my child or children has, and have strong words about keeping their moral ineptitude to themselves. I'd then withdraw my children and home school them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

What concerns me is that the liberal viewpoint is reinforced and consistently propagated from kindergarten to graduate school. That side will indoctrinate and graduate millions of people with the same message.

That's why we home school. My concern is that homeschooling will be made illegal.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

I graduated no so long ago an never had a class on the constitution. Don't even remember a teacher mentioning it. SAD

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    This is a great time to start teaching your kids about critical thinking. Use it as a teaching tool that they cannot always believe everything they are told/taught.

My 5th grade daughter was working on a section about Christopher Columbus. The school gave them a small biograhpy to read. It stated that Columbus was the first to call the inhabitants of the islands "Native Americans." I asked her how could they be called "Native Americans" when America was not even named America yet. The name America came from Amerigo Vespucci who did not sail until 1497. I told her to ask her teacher about this. She did and the whole class learned that the inhabitants were called "Indians" because Columbus thought he was in the Indies. Even though the term is frowned upon by some, you shouldn't change history. The school is looking to replace the book too.
    goldmaster and WINTEJER000 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    I graduated no so long ago an never had a class on the constitution. Don't even remember a teacher mentioning it. SAD
    Probably because many of them have never read it either. Some probably don't know what it is. Many of today's teachers are products of the government indoctrination stations we call schools. They are passing along the indoctrination that they received and enhancing it along the way.

Personally, I believe that every American should read the constitution as amended every year to remind them what the government is allowed to do. If everybody did this, action would be demanded. Some would want to amend the constitution to support much of the current government efforts and others would want to shrink the government back to its constitutional mandate - pre Marshall.
    cn262 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    This is a great time to start teaching your kids about critical thinking. Use it as a teaching tool that they cannot always believe everything they are told/taught.

My 5th grade daughter was working on a section about Christopher Columbus. The school gave them a small biograhpy to read. It stated that Columbus was the first to call the inhabitants of the islands "Native Americans." I asked her how could they be called "Native Americans" when America was not even named America yet. The name America came from Amerigo Vespucci who did not sail until 1497. I told her to ask her teacher about this. She did and the whole class learned that the inhabitants were called "Indians" because Columbus thought he was in the Indies. Even though the term is frowned upon by some, you shouldn't change history. The school is looking to replace the book too.
    Yeah, if you know history, you can find all sorts of inaccuracies in, particularly, the history books. One of their favorites is to state that Kennedy was the youngest POTUS. That is inaccurate. He was the youngest at the time of his election, but Teddy Roosevelt was younger when he was sworn in due to McKinley's assassination. By the time Teddy won his own election he was older than JFK. But the history books usually say that JFK was the youngest president.

I have had teachers tell me I am wrong about this one even when I show them documented evidence - they have been indoctrinated. In this case, I am not really sure what the point of being wrong is, but they are resistant to change.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    Over dinner we typically discuss everyone's day and touch on current events. I like the idea of having the kids think of others and not just themselves, to have an outlet for discussion, and to think of the bigger picture. Some days are better than others, and some days are full of surprises.

...We then talked about how all this came about. It started with instruction about what to do if they see strangers in the school, see guns anywhere, or hear anyone talking about violence. That message was reinforced daily, and each day there were variations (maybe to keep things interesting, but more likely to promote their agenda). An anti-gun message was central to that messaging. At one point my son said he spoke up, but his teacher shut him down and didn't want to talk about it.
    Excellent! Sounds like you have an ideal opportunity to correct the damage done at school and to teach your kids to think critically. There are some very good Critical Thinking homeschool books to help parents teach their children this important skill and help them decide what to believe. Obviously the school teacher you mentioned wants to tell them what to believe without being questioned and that ought to be challenged. However getting a teacher (and all that will follow) to teach the way you want them to will be an uphill and continuous battle. So it's very important to stay on top of this yourself, as you are already doing.

As others have mentioned, if you can make it work for your family situation, homeschooling is an excellent alternative. We've already graduated three homeschoolers and have one more currently in 7th grade. Our oldest has graduated college with a software engineering degree and is in the work force doing very well. Our second is a hair dresser (tried college and did not like it) and our third is currently working on her degree and certification in elementary education (I love the irony).

If you talk to their teachers/school, please let us know what happens.

That's one thing I like about Alabama - most of the state seems to stick to good ol' traditions.

The only thing that's been mentioned in my kids' classes is what to do if an active shooter episode happens.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Homeschooling isn't an option based on my work schedule. My oldest goes to a Catholic High School, and their curriculum and teachings are more traditional / conservative (go figure). If it wasn't so expensive I would have all go to parochial schools now instead of waiting until high school.

It's a shame that is so difficult to get a good public school education anymore (despite some very good and well intentioned teachers - they are out there). But, you could tell things were going downhill 8-10 years ago when schools eliminated competition because someone's feelings might get hurt. So, no Science Fair winners, no School Olympics, etc. Many of those kids (and their parents) will be shocked when they find out that colleges and employers care a lot more about doing well, carrying your own weight, and making a difference.

Congrats/thanks for being a good parent.

Teachers today have learned what they know from the public education system...it's a self licking ice cream cone of failure.

Austin
    cn262 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would never tell someone they couldn't home school, but many people shouldn't. The parents that actually care and have solid educations themselves do a great job. Sadly I know of some kids that home school that learn next to nothing. There is a family that lives about 2 blocks from me that home schools and has the best of intentions. But sadly neither parent has enough education to really teach the kids what they need to know. It is a tough issue.

I've decided the best plan is to encourage people that aren't brainwashed into becoming teachers. With the economic downturn there are many educated people out of work. In states that allow one to teach without an education degree it is a great alternative. You may have to take a test and/or a couple of extra classes- but in may places you can teach with any degree. If you have a math of science degree you will find most schools really need teachers in those areas. A couple friends of mine found their way into the classroom and it comforts me to know that those kids have at least one teacher that won't be trying to brainwash them.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

It is not amazing schools can easily indoctrinate children. Schools have been indoctrinating students for years, more so public schools.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    That's why we home school. My concern is that homeschooling will be made illegal.
    We will too if not illigal by then

Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    we actualy took a class on the constitution, even tho it was heavily slanted left...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links