Can't legislate Utopia

Can't legislate Utopia

This is a discussion on Can't legislate Utopia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just for fun... an exercise. You cannot legislate a Utopia into existence. In fact, if you believe the story, God Himself can’t even do it… ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By txron
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Can't legislate Utopia

Can't legislate Utopia

Just for fun... an exercise.

You cannot legislate a Utopia into existence.

In fact, if you believe the story, God Himself can’t even do it… You see, there is evil in the world, and people, from time to time, act out in evil ways. I happen to believe the story…

You’ve heard it before… Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden… They had it all! Paradise! Only one rule… you can have whatever you want, but just one thing… [insert booming voice] “Don’t eat from this tree… this one right here… right here in the middle of the garden… don’t eat its fruit…” [/booming voice]

We (humankind) couldn’t do it… We could have had it all… Handed to us on the proverbial silver platter… But no. We just had to break the law… The man tried to blame the woman… “It was her… she made me do it... it’s her fault!” She blamed the snake… And finger pointing was invented (didn’t work then either, by the way)!

So, we got an eviction notice… But the landlord was benevolent, and didn’t throw us out nekkid… In fact, he clothed us! And showed us how it was done… Could have been worse… he could have made it snow, and let us out naked… but he didn’t… not bad considering we broke the only rule.

Fast forward a few years… maybe a decade or a few… Earths’ population doubled… Now there were four. And life wasn’t absolutely miserable… but it was a challenge, I’m sure… One of the kids was jealous of the other… maybe one got an I Pad for his birthday or something… (couldn’t have been Christmas, not yet anyway)… And in a jealous rage, Cain slew Abel.

Later that year, the first FBI UCR (Uniform Crime Report) came out. It indicated a violent crime rate, including murder, of 250 (per 1000, extrapolated), or 25%. There were no “assault weapons” to ban. But they weren’t used in the crime anyway, and no politicians were around to legislate against whatever it was that was used.

Maybe we weren’t kicked out of Paradise, after all? Maybe we made our own “Hades on earth” by inventing politicians?

It really doesn’t matter whether you believe in the Bible or not*… The tenets are valid.
    1. There is evil in the world.
    2. People do evil things.
    3. Legislating against the objects they use will not stop evilly influenced people from committing heinous crimes with whatever weapon they can find.
    4. Politicians make life miserable for the law abiding, and do not deter the evil.

*Well, it matters, but this isn’t a religious discussion.
    high pockets and BigStick like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Works for me!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

That about covers it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As long as people are individuals there will be no Utopia. We all have a different idea of what it should be.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like Utopia, but y'all...can't live here.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My wife and I in a summer getaway far away in Montana--that's Utopia.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I suppose open season on politicians isn't a plausible solution?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

It's not about legislating utopia. It is about legislating control of the masses and selling it to us as utopia.
    oakchas likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Administrator
    Actually Adam and his problems started before Eve was created from his rib.
    His first Wife was Lilith and she was Female Number 1 created from the same earth as Adam.
    He didn't like her very much because she wasn't subservient enough to him & believed that she was equal to Adam because she was created from the very same earth - That was a No-Go with Adam and so Lilith requested that she be allowed to split Eden & so she left the garden of Eden - flew across the Red Sea and hitched up with archangel Samuel and had kids with him.
    She also had the feet of a bird so I guess she was pretty flighty also.
    Eve was Female Creation #2 made from the rib of Adam...which is probably why human beings still love a heaping plate of Ribs to this very day.

Lilith became an evil succubus who would suck the breath out of sleeping babies and small children and that is why a Lullaby was in reality originally called a Lilith-Bye or Lilithbie which was recited to children before they nodded off to sleep in order to act as a deterrent so that dreadful Lilith would not pay the baby or small child a visit and kill them while they were sleeping.

Today that is known as Infant Death Syndrome...and this would be a friendly preemptive reminder for folks to keep the thread on topic to legislating a utopia and off of religion in general.

So far So good!
    oakchas and Tzadik like this.

Re: Can't legislate Utopia

Heck yeah! It ain't ' bout REligion, it's about them legislators!
    QKShooter likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    If there was some possible way to "tally up" the actual numbers of innocent human beings that were killed/murdered throughout human history and before firearms were invented...the actual number would be staggering, mind bending, incomprehensible, and well beyond belief.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Guns don't murder people, violence murders people. Before guns it was swords, before swords in was arrows, before arrows it was rocks & sticks. Whoops! I may have just inadvertently begun a a price-gouging, buying/hoarding frenzy on...rocks & sticks. Everybody - HURRY AND STOCK-UP BEFORE THE R&S BAN!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The Utopian ideal is based on the ideology, or theology, that man is mostly or inherently good. I see no real evidence of the mostly, or inherently part. Matter of fact, the book I choose to believe over politicians tells me quite the opposite. And the evening news seems to back that up. Now lots of folks squash that evil, sin, wickedness or whatever you want to call it with different means. Religion, grace, education, or sheer force of will. But it's still there, hiding below the surface. Even in good people it's there. It's the ability to do great and horrible violence to another person, even for the right reasons. I'm pretty laid back most of the time. But put me or my family in danger and God have mercy on your soul, because I likely will not. And in order for Utopia to come to fruition, that would have to disappear. Along with a lot of other things that appear to me to be human nature.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links