The Art of Shaving

This is a discussion on The Art of Shaving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been using Derby Extras, but just ordered some Feathers, Astras and Gillette super thins. I do the traditional 3-4 pass shave....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Art of Shaving

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I've been using Derby Extras, but just ordered some Feathers, Astras and Gillette super thins. I do the traditional 3-4 pass shave.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

There is a thread here about a guy who puts bullets in his shaving brushes for heft and balance. Fun read. My dad used a badger brush but the cheap plastic razors.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The Art of Shaving

Ah, shaving! Another good manly subject!!

Myself, I love a good hot shave with a Dovo straight razor, or if I am in a hurry, I will use the DE.

Check straightrazorplace.com it is a great resource and group of guys that will assist anybody in getting started.
    pfries likes this.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

I got a setup from The Art of Shaving Store last year with a badger hair brush and I love it. I am still using a modern style razor but I'm thinking of switching to a more classic razor soon as those quad blade power blades are really expensive. and my wife goes crazy for the sandalwood scent right after I shave!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I started shaving with a DE blade about a year ago. I get a much closer shave for a lot less money. I tried a straight razor, but I did not have as good results. Probably need a better straight razor. I haven't really gooten into collecting razors though.
    OK, I am intersted in how you save money. I have been looking at DE razors, brushes, cakes etc. Yeah, the blades are a lot cheaper than the Fusion blades, but the up front cost on the gear and supplies looks a lot more expensive. Where do you get your stuff?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The Gillette cartridges are expensive and someone suggested going to Walgreen's and trying their brand name cartridges. They fit the Gillette handle and work great for me at less than half the price.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Distinguished Member
    I'm into it, started a couple of years ago actually. I don't do it on a daily basis, but there is nothing more relaxing and refreshing than a nice shave on weekend evenings.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

you can pick up a nice DE razor for $30 brand new.. or go to garage sales and pick up someones grandfathers 1940s or 1950s razor for a couple bucks.. go buy a 10 pack of blades for $5 and call it good. You dont have to use shaving soap or a badger/boar hair brush to get started.. just using a good foaming shave gel for the time being works.

Distinguished Member
    Interesting timing. I am just about to purchase my first DE safety razor. I'm looking at an EJ DE89L. I've also sourced out a kit with a pure badger brush, soap bowl, stand, etc.

I'm just well and truly sick of paying $50 every few months on over-priced cartridges.
    Last edited by Xader; January 11th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

VIP Member
    Fear the beard!

shaving is for city boys
    WHEC724 and zacii like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm going for the Yeager look. Oops, bad idea.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm going for the Yeager look. Oops, bad idea.
    Chuck was always clean shaven
    TX expat and sioux565 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've grown a full beard so I rarely have to shave anything except for just a little trim up.

In my past I have fully shaved my head and its not so much of a hassle, but I gotta say I don't miss shaving my face everyday.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I got an Edwin Jagger de razor for about $38 from Duluth trading. I got my brush from target for about $8.00. It has lasted a year so far and is in good condition still. I'll replace it with something better if it fails. I don't remember where I got my mug for my soap, but you can use an old coffee cup if you want. I am trying different soaps. I found a three pack of edwin jagger soap pucks for (I think $18.00). I am still using them. I got 100 derby blades for $8.00 on amazon. One year later, I have a ton of blades left and two soap pucks. All of that is less than 2 Costco packs of blades from my old gillette 4 blade razor. I would go through about 2 of those big pack of blades each year before.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links