The Art of Shaving - Page 3

The Art of Shaving

This is a discussion on The Art of Shaving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I haven't been clean shaven for about 17 years. I mow my beard with electric clippers, and keep it short in the summer. You can't ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Art of Shaving

Re: The Art of Shaving

I haven't been clean shaven for about 17 years.

I mow my beard with electric clippers, and keep it short in the summer.

You can't be the king of the jungle if you don't have a mane.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    aus71383 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While googling an old radio favorite "Mr. Manley", I came across a silly website called "The Art of Manliness", with most articles apparently targeted to guys raised by women in cities. There are a few good ones worth reading, like one of shaving, Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa | The Art of Manliness and an interesting view of how to carry concealed effectively, maybe old news for most of us, but a good primer for newbs. Concealed Carry: How to Dress For Concealed Carry | The Art of Manliness.
    aus71383 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Shaving, what is this shaving of which you speak?
    Actually CINCHOUSE makes me shave once a week whether I need it or not. I'd rather set my shorts on fire while wearing them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Chuck was always clean shaven
    Maybe he meant the "Arafat" look. My boss once commented to me about that, not critically, but
    I changed by shaving habit pretty fast after that.

The big "expensive" problem with blades instead of electric is the cost of the toilet tissue. I haven't seen a
    styptic pencil in decades; though apparently they are still around--- per Google;
    Amazon.com: Nick Relief Styptic Pencil Twin (Blister): Beauty

Good luck all. I think I'll go back to that "Arafat" style.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I learned how to shave with a DE. About 6 years ago I went back to it and have a much better shave. Mostly I use a Merkur razor and Feather blades. I chose to make the switch because I get a great shave, not because its cheaper... but it is less expensive. A box of 100 blades for $30 lasts me two years. I use a puck of English soap that costs $15, but lasts me for almost a year. Yes, you need to buy a razor for $25-$50 and a good brush is going to cost at least $75, but they will last a lifetime. You can also land a deal for a 'starter kit" on ebay or from one of the vendors who advertise on the wet shave forums and get started for $50-60

Unfortunately, wet shaving is quite a bit like guns. All you might really need is one, but who wants just what they really need

VIP Member
    Shaving has become one of the ways I relax over the last couple of years. Everyone talks about how much money you save on blades... but that's only part of the story. It is true that blades are cheap. I bought 1500 crystal blades a couple years ago and haven't even thought about needing more. I think it cost me $30. But when you're picking up a "new" razor every week or two the savings kind of disappear. When you add in the soaps and creams things can get out of control.

Anyway, my shave today.
    Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger
    Cream- Geo F Trumper Extract of Limes
    Post Shave Treatment: Geo F Trumper Sandlewood skinfood
    Razor- Fat Boy Adjustable E-2 (1959)
    Blades- Crystal... always Crystal.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You guys can say what you want but shaving is a pain.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You guys can say what you want but shaving is a pain.
    That's what I'm saying. I shave my head and can't stand doing it because it takes so much time. However, I have found a product that I really like. I use a normal Mach or Fusion or whatever they call them now and a shave oil called Shave Secret. That stuff is amazing. I used to get a little razor burn on the back and front of my neck when I used cream or gel. Now I don't get any razor burn whatsoever. I love the stuff. I put 2 or 3 drops in my hand, rub them together, then rub it all over my head and go to town. Very smooth/clean shave and no burn or tenderness afterward.

I have had a Merkur 38C for about 5 years and use it when I shave....used to be 5 days a week, now it's more like every 3-4 days. My brush is somewhere packed up.... love the cheap blades compared to cartridge shaving. I've thought about getting RAD...haven't done it yet. I'd get a Merkur HD with comb, and a slant. For a start. Then after that - things would get out of control.

Austin

VIP Member
    A DE shave is a great way to start the day. The English Shaving Company is one of my favorite places to purchase items from.

I thought I'd try this a few years ago, got a decent quality Merkur, brush and tried soap, gel, my regular gel and a few other things. Maybe I just don't have the finesse or patience (likely both) but every time I shaved I look like I got in a fight with Wolverine.

I went the route of laser removal for the neck and back to my 5 blade Hydro and gel, I've been temped to try again to see if my recent shoulder surgery might force me to slow down and get it done right. I'm not sure I am brave enough to use the DE to shave my head though, that could get ugly and fast!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Shaving has become one of the ways I relax over the last couple of years. Everyone talks about how much money you save on blades... but that's only part of the story. It is true that blades are cheap. I bought 1500 crystal blades a couple years ago and haven't even thought about needing more. I think it cost me $30. But when you're picking up a "new" razor every week or two the savings kind of disappear. When you add in the soaps and creams things can get out of control.

Anyway, my shave today.
    Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger
    Cream- Geo F Trumper Extract of Limes
    Post Shave Treatment: Geo F Trumper Sandlewood skinfood
    Razor- Fat Boy Adjustable E-2 (1959)
    Blades- Crystal... always Crystal.
    Now that is a nice way to shave. My ritual:
    10 minute hot shower
    Prorasal preshave creme rubbed into beard
    Vulvix super Badger brush soaked in hot water
    Proraso shave creme on brush, lathered onto face
    4 Pass shave with vintage Gillette of my choice
    Alum bar rub on face
    witch hazel splash
    Nivea skin splash
    Aveda balm
    The wife comes in and says "I love a clean smellin' man"
    Me happy
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Oh man, I love DE razors! Have you ever used a straight razor? I really like the shave, smooth as all get out, but a pain. All the honing and stropping gets tedious. I have a nice Edwin jagger brush and an old cool looking merkur razor. What are you using? What type of blades? You can get a 1000 ( yes one thousand ) derby blades off of amazon for like 10 bucks.

This year I found my grandfather's DE blade and some Gillette blades from the 50's in an old shoe box of random things. Mind you he died in 1986 so this hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. I bought a boar hair brush, some shaving soap and that's how I roll now. Don't miss the expensive cartridges that cut me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I gotta get off the gun control topics for a while, way too depressing...

So I thought I would share my latest "hobby" (it also serves a real purpose). I have taken up shaving with a DE razor the old school way-DE razor, shaving soap, brush, etc. It fits in with my somewhat OCD personality. Taking the time to get a really good shave is very relaxing. It also has led to the beginnings of RAD (razor acquisition disorder) which is way cheaper than firearms. With blades costing under a dime and lasting three shaves, it is a lot cheaper than cartridges. As a hobby it is fun to try different blades and products.

Anybody else out there into this hobby?

Yup, got into it when I was going through my fathers things when he passed and came across his Gillette Fatboy razor circa 1959.
    I've learned only to use it on the days when I have a little more time to shave. Learned that the hard way because if you forget and think you're shaving with a Gillette fusion blade you'd better hope you're not a bleeder.....lol.
    ctr likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links