The Art of Shaving

This is a discussion on The Art of Shaving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder if you shaved bald men would ever consider the ladies' fine art of waxing. I get a sage bentonite bar for my husband ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Art of Shaving

VIP Member
    I wonder if you shaved bald men would ever consider the ladies' fine art of waxing.

I get a sage bentonite bar for my husband to shave with. It will leave your face smelling absolutely irresistible, great for the ladies to cuddle up to.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

I've been Straight Edge shaving for about three years now. And I have the nicks and cuts to prove it! I own five razors and buy the soap at the local drug store....couldn't believe they carried it the first time I went there.

I was watching a John Wayne film and saw him shaving the "old Fashioned" way and just thought it was neat.

I only need to shave every threes days and have learned to take my time and enjoy!

Anyone know where I can get a 12,000 grit honing stone? Reasonable priced, I mean.

Is there a real store that carries this stuff, I don't mind buying on the Internet after I'm used to something, but that initial purchase I would like to handle.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I'm the type of person who can't use a blade of any sort. My facial hair is also very coarse. I'll ruin a Mach 3 in one shave with any measurable amount of growth but the bad part is afterwards i'll break out and have very bad burning/itching.

I use head clippers to knock it down if i go a week or so and then finish off with an electric triple head rotary type. Then as soon as i get finished splash my face with the coldest water possible to close the pores and sometimes will use a quality lotion type aftershave.

Even then i still have times where i'll get the itching and burning in certain areas.

Those Feather blades are wicked sharp - my utmost respect to those skilled enough to use them without medical interventions. I've found the Derby blades to be just right and can get almost a month's use out of each blade.

There's a great product called "My Nik is Sealed" that beats the pencils, though the TP tabs look manly!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Is there a real store that carries this stuff, I don't mind buying on the Internet after I'm used to something, but that initial purchase I would like to handle.
    The Art of Sahving outlets are in some malls, but they are way overpriced. Study up at badgerandblade.com and ten buy.
    IronMike likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Sometimes Walgreens and other drug stores carry an inexpensive brush and soap. Sometimes they come in a package with a shaving mug. That's where I initially got mine. Walgreens shows they carry soap. Van Der Hagen*Deluxe Shave Soap | Walgreens
    IronMike likes this.

I have had some luck at antiques shops.

finding the perfect razor set up is very similar to finding the perfect carry gun.....a lifetime quest. Been shaving since I was 11.....had a beard when I was in college.
    Looked at an old ID from years ago, and I looked like Habib, the Unhappy Terrorist.
    Here is a site that has lots of stuff that you just can't find out and about today, and some that date back to when I was a boy just getting my first haircut.

eBarbershop.com - Classic, Nostalgic Toiletries & Gifts For Men
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

mkh
    I have straight blade razors that belonged to both of my grandfathers. Never tought about using the. May need to reevaluate

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: The Art of Shaving

The straight razor is great way to find out what you are made of. The meditative stropping followed by the deliberate meditative shave is good for the soul. Wonderful way to live for 15 or 20 minutes but I'm in a hurry. I can do it in less than five minutes with a Mach3.

If I'm ever allowed the grace of retirement I'll get the antique straight razor out again.

The world is a ghetto
    War
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Re: The Art of Shaving

Do you guys use an open or closed comb straight razor? Pros and cons?

VIP Member
    For anyone that says DE shaving has not been successful in the past, you just need to work on technique. For anyone that thinks their beard is too tough or skin too sensitive to shave- that is what I used to think as well. Wet shaving with a DE razor changed my outlook pretty quickly though. For anyone that wants to learn, there's a youtube channel that has taught me and many, many others how to start wet shaving.

Shave Tutor - YouTube

Anyway, some of the shaving forums do like I did earlier and describe each day's shave. I'm not going to do it daily, but maybe when I post to this thread. Today:

Brush: Edwin Jagger Super Badger
    Razor: 1959 Super Speed (blue tip)
    Blade: Crystal
    Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado
    Post Shave: Taylor's St. James scent.
    ctr likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Honestly I think that I'd fit better in the "Art of Getting Out of Shaving Category".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I went back to using a brush and soap in October 2012. I used one briefly back in the early 70's, but I had no idea what I was doing and quit. The thread referenced earlier about putting bullets in a brush handle got me back in it. My wife gave me an Edwin Jagger 8911 double edge razor and blade sample pack for Christmas, and I must say I love it, and will never go back to a cartridge razor. Cartridge prices are outrageous, and shaving with a brush, soap, and DE razor is indeed relaxing, and as you learn the technique speed definitely picks up.

How many shaves you get from a blade is dependent on a lot of factors, such as beard type, skin sensitivity, how many passes you make, etc. I'm finding that 5 days is pushing the limits of every blade I've tried so far.

Traditional wet shaving is relaxing, economical (there is some investment up front, but it's well worth it), environmentally friendly (no more plastic cartridges and cartridge holders, and shave goop cans going in a landfill - the steel blades are recyclable), and once you learn proper technique (no pressure, blade angle, how to hold razor) the shaves are better.

The Shave Den is another good forum to check out for those wanting to learn more about traditional wet shaving.
    ctr likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links