The Art of Shaving - Page 5

The Art of Shaving

This is a discussion on The Art of Shaving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Wisewolf Do you guys use an open or closed comb straight razor? Pros and cons? My razor is closed comb. A closed ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Art of Shaving

Quote Originally Posted by Wisewolf View Post
    Do you guys use an open or closed comb straight razor? Pros and cons?
    My razor is closed comb. A closed comb is typically milder than an open comb.
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Gillette slim user here. I find the blades last 8-9 shaves before they get dull. Much better than a modern 5 blade razor and is much cheaper.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

KoB

Re: The Art of Shaving

I sport the "Kojack" look...bald head and you know what...this is my best friend!!!

Don't laugh ....get with the times!!!
    KMB, I

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Is there a real store that carries this stuff, I don't mind buying on the Internet after I'm used to something, but that initial purchase I would like to handle.
    Like OP said, The Art of Shaving stores are really high priced. Some other high end retailers may carry a couple of razors, but for the most part you're limited to the internet, antique stores (hit or miss), or family heirloom pieces passed down. You can get them from Amazon or e-bay, but I would recommend an online dealer specializing in this type of product. Lee's Razors, West Coast Shaving, and Italian Barber are all good reputable merchants, and will talk to you directly by phone or e-mail to answer questions and/or make sure you get what you need.
    NRA Life Member

After using a twin blade razor for 20 years, I suddenly couldn't find blades. Bought Gillette's 3 blade monster and a month later was back for more blades. Annoyed, I looked for options and bought a beautifully restored and honed straight razor. Started collecting razors and now have far too many. Hey - they're less expensive than guns! Love my straight razors, but they require complete focus - something I've been too busy for recently. For the past year, my go to combination has been my 1956 Gillette red tip, Feather blade, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, and boar brush I bought way back in college. For Christmas, I bought the one razor I hadn't been able to find in an antique shop or on evilbay: a Merkur Slant. Got the Merkur, a couple new soaps, and 110 blades from West Coast Shaving - great people to deal with! Below, is the photo of the new Merkur - first new razor I've bought in years.

As for saving money - yeah, you can do that if you only have a few razors, but aquisition disorder happens. Just roll with it. I'd rather spend my money on things I enjoy than overpriced, overhyped plastic garbage that is headed for the landfill. I envy you fellows and ladies who are fortunate enough to inherit your parents or grandparents cool razors. Clean them up and given them a try!

IMG_7102a.jpg

10 year head shaver here. I shave with an Edwin Jagger de89L with Gillette Russian blues. The only forum out there with more of my posts than Defensivecarry.com is Badgerandblade.com. Good group of members over there. I use the same forum name and avatar. Over there as well.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    10 year head shaver here. I shave with an Edwin Jagger de89L with Gillette Russian blues. The only forum out there with more of my posts than Defensivecarry.com is Badgerandblade.com. Good group of members over there. I use the same forum name and avatar. Over there as well.

Cheers!
    Gillette Russian Blues are good blades. The original Gillette Blues are incredible. The smoothest shaving blade bar none, and I have tried many.

I just drank the Kool-Aid… I ordered a starter kit for double-edged razor from Amazon, now I'm hooked.
    My wife loves the bay rum scented shaving soap, and now thinks I should shave twice a day.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    There is a thread here about a guy who puts bullets in his shaving brushes for heft and balance. Fun read. My dad used a badger brush but the cheap plastic razors.
    Just found this thread. That would have been me. What Bullet Do You Use In Your Shaving Brush?

I actually loathe shaving, always have and always will, but the re-introduction of the classic double-edged razors, soaps, and methods makes the chore much more bearable.

My eldest son began shaving with a Merkur Slant several years ago and tried to interest me in giving a double-edge razor a try. I initially would have no part of it, having recalled the discomfort and outright bloodletting administered by a Gillette Model 195 Adjustable "Fatboy" (they hadn't acquired that nickname at the time) that I used the first 10 years of my shaving career. I finally grew tired of paying through the nose for Fusion cartridge blades and thought that blade quality of the Fusion had fallen off from when it was first introduced. So, the old Fatboy being long gone, I latched onto a 1940s Gillette ball-end Tech that had belonged to my wife's grandfather and was being displayed on a what-not shelf in the bath and gave it a try. The little Gillette Tech was very mild and, with decent blades, gave an acceptable shave.

I then went down to the local antique store and, for twenty bucks, gathered up all the double-edged razors they had in a box under the counter, 12-15 of them, and sorted them out. The were mostly Gillettes: Fatboys (late 1950s-early 1960s), Slim Adjustables (early/mid 1960s), Super Speeds-both the old style (late 1940s-early 1950s) and the flare tip (mid 1950s-mid 1960s), and Techs (1939-1970s). There was the odd Auto Strop and a Schick injector handle with a miniature 4-speed gear shift knob on the end of its handle. I cleaned them all up and kept an example of each style adjustable and one of each of the Super Speed styles and gave the rest to my sons.

My son had been shaving with any of several modern Merkur razors but went over to the vintage Gillette models. He's actually settled on the same style Tech as the one I used here as his go-to razor.

Then my wife brought home a 1940s vintage fat-handled gold Tech, found in an antique store while she was out of town on a convention. It was a nice shave too.

I became reacquainted with the Fatboy and actually "got to know" it better than I ever did back before 1980 when I gleefully tossed the Fatboy in the back of a bathroom drawer and embraced the Gillette Trac II.

After taking the rehabilitated razors on a "test-drive" I decided the Fatboy and Slim tied for top spot as my go-to razor.

But then a 1930s short-combed Gillette "New" came along and the open-comb design added a novel feature that seemed beneficial.

My current go-to razor is a 1930s Gillette Aristocrat, a fortunate find on Ebay, found suffering from grime, poor photography, and poorer auction description. It cleaned up to nearly new condition. This razor combines the open-comb feature with the first twist-to-open shave head marketed by Gillette and seems the best of both worlds. The Aristocrat was redesigned in the late 1930s when the open comb was deleted in favor of a bar guide. The open-comb Aristocrat was Gillette's top-of-the-line model and is difficult to find as it was only made for a few short years and smack dab in the middle of the Depression. Gillette ads of the day claim this model is plated in 24kt gold and the cool "barber pole" handle is the "bees knees." This razor does beat out everything I've tried. It's aggressive, yet comfortable and forgiving. One can take his time and gain a very close shave or one can shave in a hurry and still be presentable and all without needing a blood transfusion. Very nice for someone who hates shaving. One can imagine he's in the company of Bogart, Cooper, and Gable when he's shaving with this vintage razor.

Last spring my eldest son and I popped in an antique mall on the north side of Little Rock and found this real oldie Gillette. It was tarnished black and had a tag that said $4. It's a "Single Ring" with a good measure of its original silver plating intact. Early Gillette models were serial numbered and this one dates to 1909. Still perfectly useable, it renders a great shave but is picky about shave angle and can bite if wielded incorrectly. I guess it was worlds better than the straight razor of the day.

Brass63 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have to ask...what is a "DE blade?"

Double Edge Razor (The old safety razors with the double edged blade sandwiched between the razor parts). A good modern example is the Edwin Jagger DE89. The pics above your post are an example of an Open Comb design of a DE razor.

Wow, sounds interesting and fun. What is a good place to learn more about this?
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Wow, sounds interesting and fun. What is a good place to learn more about this?
    Badger & Blade - Home is a great forum similar to this one.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I'm told there are forums for this info, but I'm learning in front of the mirror.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Badger & Blade - Home is a great forum similar to this one.
    Knew that "Camjr" looked familiar over there.
    Camjr likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links