The Art of Shaving

The Art of Shaving

This is a discussion on The Art of Shaving within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I gotta get off the gun control topics for a while, way too depressing... So I thought I would share my latest "hobby" (it also ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Art of Shaving

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

The Art of Shaving

I gotta get off the gun control topics for a while, way too depressing...

So I thought I would share my latest "hobby" (it also serves a real purpose). I have taken up shaving with a DE razor the old school way-DE razor, shaving soap, brush, etc. It fits in with my somewhat OCD personality. Taking the time to get a really good shave is very relaxing. It also has led to the beginnings of RAD (razor acquisition disorder) which is way cheaper than firearms. With blades costing under a dime and lasting three shaves, it is a lot cheaper than cartridges. As a hobby it is fun to try different blades and products.

Anybody else out there into this hobby?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

No, but I may have to look into it. In the summer months I keep my head clean shaven and it gets expensive after a while!
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I started shaving with a DE blade about a year ago. I get a much closer shave for a lot less money. I tried a straight razor, but I did not have as good results. Probably need a better straight razor. I haven't really gooten into collecting razors though.

Senior Moderator
    I use a Gillette fatboy, boar hair brush and shaving soap.

Either you have a really tough beard or you need different blades if they only last you three shaves
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Actually, from what I have read on the shaving message boards three shaves is considered the norm. I find the first a little rough, the second perfect and sharpness falls off after three. As cheap as they are (I bought 100 Derby Extras for $7.00) its not a problem.

Have you seen the prices on Fatboys? I would like one but not at those prices. I rotate between a 49 Superspeed, a 56 flair tip (my birth razor) and a 62 Slim adjustable. Thinking about a slant but too scared to try it yet, LOL.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I went back to shaving with soap and brush years ago. Love it - relaxing and dirt cheap.
    BamaT likes this.

I do the same, especially for the last couple years now since i shaved my head in october of 2009. What you save in shampoo you make up for in razors.

But when im not in a hurry or rush to get shaved, I use an old 1953 Gillette Fat Boy double-edged safety razor... safer than a straight razor but dang.. those blades are so thin and sharp you can EASILY hurt yourself badly..takes a lot of slow practice...

For those that shave their heads, dont diss it but the Venus disposable for women works VERY well.. as well as my Mach 5 blade and tons cheaper too! I still like the mach 5 for the face though when i dont use the DE razor.. but since Nov 1st ive gone form a Balbo to a full beard..

VIP Member
    I haven't shaved in two weeks.

Mach 5's are getting way over priced..........in general the price of blades is rediculous......thought about going back to the old DE razor......still have my grandfather's brass DE razor probably Hmmmmm... 100yrs.old and in great condition......never thought of trying it.

NMB
    I dont shave from Nov-March. I trim a little to keep it from being insane, but the winds are cold out here in New Mexico
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

While I don't use a double edge razor or straight razor, I do still use fixed generic Atra twin blade (they last a week and cheap from Walmart or Publix) in a chrome razor from Colonel Conk. I have used a boar brush and shaving soap since 1988 or 1989, even aboard ship. That's one reason I never got started with a straight razor, a little leery of pitch and yaw.:) I think some of the other Chiefs thought I was nuts going through the "trouble" of soap and brush. But, yes, there is something comforting about lathering up a nice warm shave. Get all my soap from Colonel Conk, highly recommended. Colonel Conk

I am actually about to pick up a Merkur 38 HD and all the accouterments. No more $30 cartridges for me.
    aus71383 likes this.

I have been wet shaving for about 4 years now. I rotate between a Muhle R41 and a Merkur Futur and I use only Israeli Personna red blades. I stared doing it to save money that didn't workout so well hehehehe.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm I use Feather blades and they last me for about 8-10 shaves.....but I have a beard and only shave the bottom of my neck and little of my face so I just might not use them enough
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Shaving? I'm rocking the John Noveske look.
    zacii likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links