Video Games and Movies...

This is a discussion on Video Games and Movies... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I read a lot on this forum. Way more than I post, but ive been keeping up with everything and the video game / ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Shiphted
  • 1 Post By Betty
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Video Games and Movies...

So I read a lot on this forum. Way more than I post, but ive been keeping up with everything and the video game / movie arguement so many make is just getting to me. So here is my rant.

I am 27 years old and I have been playing violent video games for close to 20 years. I played Counter-Strike which is a first person shooter for 9 years, 4 of which i played professionally in competitions for money. I grew up in Gary, IN and Chicago area. Ive seen drugs, alcohol, gangs, killings and many other bad things that people shouldnt ever have to deal with. I grew up with my mother never around and my father being a alcoholic. I basicly raised myself. At 21 i joined the US Army and served 5 1/2 years to which I was medically discharged after being injured while overseas. During my time in the military i received 2 Good Conduct medals which are given every 3 years without getting into trouble. I also have a Army Commendation Medal with "V" Device (Valor) for my actions after receiving a direct mortar hit and continuing my job while being injured and returning fire on the enemy.

Now ive been CC'ing since i was 18 years old legally. I have never once thought of commiting any crime of violence or anything else for that matter. I have been very successful in my life and i know plenty of others my age that have done the same. I still play the FPS games on a regular basis and watch "violent" movies.

Now i personally think games, movies, lifestyle are honestly not to blame. I think these days there are alot more mental issues that seem so minor for alot of people that they ignore them. When something so small as not having a social life can lead to delusional effects on the mind. In which some act on these delusions because they fail to seperate reality and virtual reality. But i personally think that falls back on the persons mentallity and could also be blamed on parenting. As ive stated about myself not really having a parental figure in my life early on i still managed to turn out ok. The one difference with me is i learn from others rather than learning on my own. So watching people do the wrong thing growing up made me run the other way. I think some people get so lonely in life that they turn to violence because the media will take a nobody and turn them into somebody. Most if not all mass murders are obvious anti social people. And the 5 oclock news portrays murderers as heros in a way. And i think alot of that is the issue. Hell in school you get taught about our history and you learn about what Murderers have done in the past.

You take a lonely kid that goes to school daily gets bullied and feels so worthless and then they go home and see a mass murderer all over the news, and it goes to there head. If they cant get attention any other way then why not get attention the one way they know other lonely people have. Kill People.

Now I could be completely and Psychos are psychos but this is just my view on things. I dont view myself as anything special in life other than, it being special that I wake up daily and have a wife and kid that love me dearly and my family. Thats the only reward i need in life.

What I do feel that is really special is the older generations that I deal with on a daily basis. If i could have a job that allowed me to do nothing else but talk to people in there 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s i would love it! I will miss that generations when they are gone because honestly i think that generation is what keeps this country rolling.

/rant off
    tony1990 and ClutchSR9C like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First of all, thank you for your service.

Yes, I do believe that there's a lot that makes up a killer. I think it's a combination of parenting, mental health, medication, environment, and choice, and the same combination won't always end up with a killer. You can grow up with a hard-knock life and turn out just fine, or have a great childhood and end up a killer.

My husband loves to play violent video games - he's on Assassin's Creed III right now. He does it to relax. He's a mental health therapist who specializes in children, many who have been abused. So I can only imagine whacking some redcoats help let off some steam.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks for the reply Betty. I always wondered why some people just have a terrible social make up. Ive always been what they call a Social Butterfly. I can hold a conversation with anyone or anything. Hell if a wall would talk back id probably talk to it! haha

While I agree with your assessment, a control group of 1 isn't exactly the best proof

But if you look at violent video games and movies, that have arguably become increasingly more violent over the past twenty years, and compare that to the violent crime and homicide rate over the last twenty years, you'll find that there is no correlation. Violent video games and movies have become worse, and yet the violent crime and homicide rate is half of what it was 20 years ago. Things have steadily improved.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Shiphted...well put! You made some very good and valid points, especially about loneliness and isolation. The games in themselves don't cause people to act out; but coupled with emotional and/or mental issues they can become a factor.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I grew up trying (unsuccessfully) to outdraw Matt Dillon every Saturday night, yet not once did I ever assume that was reality. I don't feel most who play the video game do either. But somewhere along the line, knowing right from wrong fell off the morality cliff.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Jean I do agree with you except that I find the media is the main contributing factor. Superman has always been my hero an I have the tattoo to prove it but to other people Jeffery domer might be there's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Yup. Good post and thank you for your service to our country.

The most difficult problem we face is that there is no "answer". The causes for these tragedies are as diverse as the individuals doing them. If you look at all the homicidal murderers that commit these acts you'll find a number of common threads; none will line up with all of them, but a lot will line up with a number of them and there will be overlap. The difficulty in even taking all that commonality and making something out of it, is there's a plethora of perfectly normal people that will aslo have those traits and commonalities. So how do you find the Adam Lanza and separate him out from the 'normal' ones who won't ever think of actually doing anything like this? How do you detect that base level, fundamental, flaw in the brain chemistry that allows these antisocial disorders to bloom into something sinister?

The truth is you don't. You won't and you can't. And that's the hard bottom line that humans just cannot accept. We need to do something. To fix something. Then when you add a political agenda that has nothing to do with fixing anything, you further muddy the waters because now we can't even focus on the real problems because we have to deal with all the made up problems that support their agenda.

At the end of the day we are always going to have more questions than answers because it's always the series of little 'failures' that end up culminating in something unforeseen like these shootings.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yup. How do you detect that base level, fundamental, flaw in the brain chemistry that allows these antisocial disorders to bloom into something sinister?

The truth is you don't. You won't and you can't. And that's the hard bottom line that humans just cannot accept. We need to do something. To fix something. .
    You are absolutely right about that. We think we can fix everything but we can't. Once we accept that, maybe we can realistically deal with protecting ourselves against that which we can't fix.
    TX expat likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    double post

Just like 99% of gun owners, 99% of violent video game players will never act out violently towards others. I think it's just a case of finger pointing and other things wrong with those people's mental health.
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Yes I was disappointed to hear Wayne LaPierre try to shift blame to video games and movies. He in a sense did the same thing that the anti's do to guns. As others have stated the truth is we as a society will never be able to stop things like school shootings/or violence from happening. Crazy people like that will always seek to try to do harm to others regardless of what weapon they use to implement it.

I believe we should be hammering the anti's with the point that evil like that exists and things like that will continue to happen. I would hope that fence sitters are seeing the anti's for how they are trying to use this tragedy to further a political agenda. It is so blatantly obvious when you see them come out against having a police officer in every school. They seem to overlook the fact that the only ways to stop a mass killing once it starts is the following:

1. The shooter runs out of ammo or the weapon they use is no longer useable.
    2. The shooter is killed by somebody else who is armed.
    3. The shooter offs themselves after they are confronted by somebody who is armed.

Anybody with half a brain knows that options 2 and 3 are the only ways to minimize the number of innocent people getting killed, and yet anti's are opposed to having every school have an armed cop that can respond quickly. Heck I would take it even a step further and say that every cop that is assigned to a school should also be issued a carbine to aid in them taking the bg out even quicker and from a much farther range. It seems to be accepted by many that rifles are far more effective at stopping threats quicker than handguns. And another way further aid in quicker response would be to allow teachers that have received training arm themselves to protect their classrooms.

Well thats my rant for tonight.

Some of it's individual, not everyone reacts the same to the same stimulus. Video games can and do teach people to react in certain ways and can be used to increase muscle memory and provide stimulus to do certain things. That's why the military, police, and airlines use them to train with. They work. See if you can get your hands on "Stop Teaching our kids to kill" by Lt Col Dave Grossman. It's a very interesting book and goes into some of the first person shooter games and how some of the kids that went on shooting sprees basically trained with them and became very effective. To the point that they converted video game knowledge and muscle memory over to a firearm even though they have very little experience with a real handgun.

Does that mean everyone that plays is going to shoot someone? No. But I think it's something that parents need to be aware of and look out for. Because they are in a far better position to judge than some bureaucrat.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links