Local man making a 'statement' - Page 2

Local man making a 'statement'

This is a discussion on Local man making a 'statement' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy This is America friend. If he wants to protest the actions of his government with an upside down flag then I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Local man making a 'statement'

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is America friend. If he wants to protest the actions of his government with an upside down flag then I say go for it.

While we are here let's get something else straight. Nobody, not one single soldier, sailor, airman or Marine has died for that flag. They all died fighting to preserve what that flag represents....The United States and freedom.

A flag is just a few polyester patches and some thread. Freedom is being able to protest your government the way you see fit when you notice that things are starting to smell like rotten fish.
    Well said my friend.
    aus71383 and atctimmy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I spent 24 years of my life defending his right to lawfully protest the actions of the government. While I may not agree with his means, I still defend his right to do so.
    Well said and thanks for the service!
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

acttimmy nailed it.

To the OP - I'm a veteran - there is a long list of things that bother me - this doesn't make the list by a long shot. If someone does/doesn't do something because they're concerned how "the veterans" will perceive it - that makes the list.

Austin
    atctimmy and BigJon10125 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Sorry, you are mistaken. It is however a "national" signal for distress with meaning only to other citizens of the United States. I could be used, for example, to let other ships of the battle group know when your ship was in trouble. Actually had more practical use back when we had fewer methods of communication WWII and prior. International signals of distress do not include flying national flags upside down because with a huge number of national flags you could not tell the difference. They are the same upside down or right side up; probably some sideways. Check out some of them on Wiki and you'll see what I mean.

I was a Navy Signalman for 20 years, it was my job to know these things. Funny how it can still come in handy 12 years later.
    Thanks for straightening me out on that.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Thanks for straightening me out on that.
    Glad to help. That's a fairly common mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise;2541717[B
    ]Flying the flag upside down is a sign of "extreme distress".[/B] Personally I wouldn't do it but we have a neighbor who is active duty Coast Guard who flew his flag upside down for several months before the election.
    +1... It is in no way disrespectful; I have done it in the past and will probably do it again in the (near) future.

There are a lot worse ways to express ones self!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    In defense of the OP I don't think he realized that flying the flag upside down wasn't being disrespectful of the flag.
    With all the rules for flag flying and disposal, it would be easy to miss the "extreme distress" rule.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

IMO everything that involves our current government should be a heated debate. we have let them take to many of our rights we have let this happen doing NOTHING its time WE THE PEOPLE DO SOMETHING

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links