Local man making a 'statement'

This is a discussion on Local man making a 'statement' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every morning I usually get on our local news papers website and browse the local articles and notices. Earlier this week I seen an article ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Local man making a 'statement'

Every morning I usually get on our local news papers website and browse the local articles and notices. Earlier this week I seen an article 'Berlin man uses upside down American flag to express political views'. Of course I read the article and I understand him 'exercising his right' but is this man so dense that he is flying a national symbol that irreplaceable lives have been lost for the sake of our flag.

"He said he believes the people who are complaining are "sitting around waiting for a government check."
    This has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I swear whenever a 'educated' person is making their assessments on our country, our direction that one of the first cards they pull is 'government checks, SSI, ect'. It is one of their strongest and loudest rants that I see people running their gums about all the time.

At my younger age I just do not understand how some people and be so thick skulled. His statement is a embarrassment.

Thank you to all our service men/women past, present and future. Our nation may not support our forgien affairs, but the support for our military and their familys should NEVER vary.

Sorry for my rant.. just had to get it out.

-Jared

Original article: Berlin man uses upside down American flag to express political views - dailyamerican.com

Local veteran (from same town) response: Berlin veteran questions flag display - dailyamerican.com
    Last edited by fail_187; January 12th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.

VIP Member
    Flying the flag upside down is a sign of "extreme distress". Personally I wouldn't do it but we have a neighbor who is active duty Coast Guard who flew his flag upside down for several months before the election.
    fail_187 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fail_187 View Post
    Every morning I usually get on our local news papers website and browse the local articles and notices. Earlier this week I seen an article 'Berlin man uses upside down American flag to express political views'. Of course I read the article and I understand him 'exercising his right' but is this man so dense that he is flying a national symbol that irreplaceable lives have been lost for the sake of our flag.

"He said he believes the people who are complaining are "sitting around waiting for a government check."
    This has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. I swear whenever a 'educated' person is making their assessments on our country, our direction that one of the first cards they pull is 'government checks, SSI, ect'. It is one of their strongest and loudest rants that I see people running their gums about all the time.

At my younger age I just do not understand how some people and be so thick skulled. His statement is a embarrassment.

Thank you to all our service men/women past, present and future. Our nation may not support our forgien affairs, but the support for our military and their familys should NEVER vary.

Sorry for my rant.. just had to get it out.

-Jared

Original article: Berlin man uses upside down American flag to express political views - dailyamerican.com

Local veteran (from same town) response: Berlin veteran questions flag display - dailyamerican.com
    This is America friend. If he wants to protest the actions of his government with an upside down flag then I say go for it.

While we are here let's get something else straight. Nobody, not one single soldier, sailor, airman or Marine has died for that flag. They all died fighting to preserve what that flag represents....The United States and freedom.

A flag is just a few polyester patches and some thread. Freedom is being able to protest your government the way you see fit when you notice that things are starting to smell like rotten fish.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Rather than getting a violation for forum rules I will only say I support his First Amendment rights to express himself.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Right.. I was not thinking clearly when I started this thread.. not trying to start a heated political debate.
    I just wanted to express my personal opinion on the subject and how I feel what he is doing will be seen and is currently being seen as something negative to the veterans.
    To each there own, I know that I will never support his business.

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is America friend. If he wants to protest the actions of his government with an upside down flag then I say go for it.

While we are here let's get something else straight. Nobody, not one single soldier, sailor, airman or Marine has died for that flag. They all died fighting to preserve what that flag represents....The United States and freedom.

A flag is just a few polyester patches and some thread. Freedom is being able to protest your government the way you see fit when you notice that things are starting to smell like rotten fish.
    Thank you for clarifying that, that was to be exactly my point. I am sorry that I generalized with the 'sake of our flag' when I really meant the core values, rights, freedoms, all of what it represents. As said in my above post was not trying to start any heated topic.. just needed to rant a little about something that irritated me.

PS - Really like this part!

'Freedom is being able to protest your government the way you see fit when you notice that things are starting to smell like rotten fish.'

That would make for a nice sig line!
    Last edited by fail_187; January 12th, 2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: had to add PS
    Jeanlouise and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    He's making a statement as he sees fit, which shouldn't twist anyone's panties into a wad. Appropriate, proper, correct? All a matter of opinion.
    fail_187 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I persoanly think it is stupid but then again he can do what he wants. If you use his reasoning the flag should have been flying upside down for the last 50 years or so...
    fail_187 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Flying Old Glory upside down is an international distress signal.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Guess he wants the UN to get involved then LOL
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Flying the flag upside down is perfectly appropriate. It is a sign of extreme distress and has been used successfully several times to get assistance. It is also a way to identify extreme distress in the political government. I wish I could remember the name of the author or book, but in it he had a short portion (Maybe half a page) that stated flying the American flag upside down demonstrates love for the country, and respect for the flag, but at the same time demonstrates frustration, and distress over what is happening to our beloved country.

At least that was his take.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Sorry, you are mistaken. It is however a "national" signal for distress with meaning only to other citizens of the United States. I could be used, for example, to let other ships of the battle group know when your ship was in trouble. Actually had more practical use back when we had fewer methods of communication WWII and prior. International signals of distress do not include flying national flags upside down because with a huge number of national flags you could not tell the difference. They are the same upside down or right side up; probably some sideways. Check out some of them on Wiki and you'll see what I mean.

I was a Navy Signalman for 20 years, it was my job to know these things. Funny how it can still come in handy 12 years later.
    aus71383, fail_187 and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Perfect!
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Per US Title 4 Chapter 1:
    9 (a). The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Dire distress can be left as a matter of opinion.
    fail_187 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I spent 24 years of my life defending his right to lawfully protest the actions of the government. While I may not agree with his means, I still defend his right to do so.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links