Thought about "Public redirection"

This is a discussion on Thought about "Public redirection" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading an article a few minutes ago about "How to defeat the NRA on gun control," (link below) as it's always good to ...

Thread: Thought about "Public redirection"

Thought about "Public redirection"

I was reading an article a few minutes ago about "How to defeat the NRA on gun control," (link below) as it's always good to understand the logic and strategy of your opponent. One thing that is consistent with those types of articles is the need for urgency due to concerns about this issue losing attention in the public eye. So, idiots like Piers Morgan are probably being far more effective than you would think just because he keeps popping-up in the news almost daily.

One way to defeat the NRA - CNN.com

Their arguments are based on emotion and fail to accurately address the facts, which actually makes sense because 1) Emotion triggers fear that stops rational thinking 2) Most people won't bother looking further into the facts. The video going around about naming the bills and assigning labels to firearms to induce fear are perfect examples.

Rational people and organizations who respect the Constitution and Bill of Rights are doing many good things to protect our rights. But, is there something else we could be doing? It seems there could be.

Physicians have a saying, "Treat the cause, not the symptom." What if we create a lot of focus around one of the main, true causes of violence, mainly Gang violence due to illegal drug trade (Chicago is a prime example of this)? Gangs are scary - enough so that they can trigger the same emotional responses in people. The levels of gun violence associated with gangs is real - around 75% based on many things that I've read (a few good links below). And, in most major cities you will find examples daily (although MSM tends to treat many of those acts as "random violence"). You also find many examples of how gangs are spreading to the suburbs (I've found several articles on the Police Dept. websites of local communities where I live - something I would not have expected and was unaware of until I started looking).

This approach could do two things - Create awareness around the real causes (as opposed to the tools), and redirect public attention to something more likely to effect them. I'm sure that there are many websites around where more liberal people could find this type of information very enlightening. Any thoughts?

FBI — Gangs
    COPS Solutions to Address Gang Crime Mobile Media CD, Version 2.1 | Statistics and Research on Gangs

Here's a recent DC thread on gang violence - Gang Control not Gun Control

2. Remove Ads

Good post.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Thanks Brad. It just seems like an opportunity to use "lessons learned" to help turn the tide on this debate.

Where's a good F.M.E.A. when we need one? (FMEA: Failure Mode and Effects Analysis.) Nowhere to be seen.

I'd imagine it could have serious benefits, if done well and done completely. Particularly in areas involving systems and processes (ie, security), tools (weaponry), training (behavior identification, profiling, security skills, defensive skills), and physical structures (buildings, ingress/egress zone design, blast/firefight protection).

Seems clear to me that each of these key areas, and likely a host of others, has a number of failing elements of logic and/or physics involved, else those things wouldn't be so frequently incapable of preventing, handling or mitigating any crimes of violence.

Any engineers in the crowd, who want to take a quickie stab at the concept as it relates to combating violence, in terms of the format and key questions, situations, problems to be analyzed in such an FMEA?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links