A thought on retorts to "Guns are designed to KILL"

This is a discussion on A thought on retorts to "Guns are designed to KILL" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's an often used "tactic" by anti-gunners when faced with the fact that MANY more things kill more people than guns (cars, bats, knives, hands, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A thought on retorts to "Guns are designed to KILL"

A thought on retorts to "Guns are designed to KILL"

It's an often used "tactic" by anti-gunners when faced with the fact that MANY more things kill more people than guns (cars, bats, knives, hands, alcohol, cigarettes...you get the point). Where's the outrage over all the other various product specifically "designed to kill"?

Antibiotics, weed killer, Lysol, hand sanitizer--all designed to kill LIVING things, yet we all (I would hope) agree these are beneficial products. What others can you think of?
    zacii and tony1990 like this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

2. Remove Ads

Of course they're designed to kill.

Does anybody have a problem with killing someone who's intent on killing you? It's called justifiable homicide; it's a legal and moral thing to do.
    pittypat21 and Tzadik like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

That's always my answer, too, zacli. "Yeah, no kidding it's designed to kill. That's why I need/want/like them".
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Guns are designed to kill more efficiently than bats, hammers, knives, etc. I have absolutely no idea why you're comparing guns to hand sanitizer. None
    DaveJay likes this.

When someone finds you CCWing and says isn't that gun dangerous?
    My answer is, "Of course it's very dangerous, and I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My response is that guns are designed to shoot first and foremost. That can sometimes include killing in certain circumstances...but I would suggest that killing is not their sole purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Guns are designed to kill more efficiently than bats, hammers, knives, etc. I have absolutely no idea why you're comparing guns to hand sanitizer. None
    That's why I put this thread in "Off-Topic & Humor." Of course I agree with the sentiments of zacii and pittypat21. It was just a humorous thought I had about anti's screaming at us about how "Guns are MADE to kill," as if I didn't already know that. I'm sorry my humorous tone didn't get conveyed via Internet very well.
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    That may be the ultimate in the illogical emotional argument. Anyone who sees their world through such a utopian lens is probably not going to accept any counter logic. Those types of people fail to understand one of the most basic, fundamental factors of life; predation advances existence. While I always try and offer a reasoned and logical path for folks that are afraid of firearms, someone who takes the base level view is probably a lost cause, and unless they live in a mud hut and eat only scavenged berries, they'll never understand how much of a hypocrite they actually are.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    That may be the ultimate in the illogical emotional argument. Anyone who sees their world through such a utopian lens is probably not going to accept any counter logic. Those types of people fail to understand one of the most basic, fundamental factors of life; predation advances existence. While I always try and offer a reasoned and logical path for folks that are afraid of firearms, someone who takes the base level view is probably a lost cause, and unless they live in a mud hut and eat only scavenged berries, they'll never understand how much of a hypocrite they actually are.
    Oh, I know this type of argument against an anti-gunner is illogical and invalid. Maybe I should have used a different title for my thread ("Self musings about the hyprocritical "Guns are meant for KILLING" argument"). I was just pointing out the humor in their hypocrisy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    Oh, I know this type of argument against an anti-gunner is illogical and invalid. Maybe I should have used a different title for my thread ("Self musings about the hyprocritical "Guns are meant for KILLING" argument"). I was just pointing out the humor in their hypocrisy.
    I guess the ultimate come back would be something like "No, guns are designed to shoot bullets. The person using the gun decides what happens from there".
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    It's an often used "tactic" by anti-gunners when faced with the fact that MANY more things kill more people than guns (cars, bats, knives, hands, alcohol, cigarettes...you get the point). Where's the outrage over all the other various product specifically "designed to kill"?

Antibiotics, weed killer, Lysol, hand sanitizer--all designed to kill LIVING things, yet we all (I would hope) agree these are beneficial products. What others can you think of?
    Some would disagree on the lysol and sanitizer, as they have now led to the development of super-strains of resistant germs that we're having a very hard time killing off.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Guns are designed to fire a projectile. It's the people pointing them that gets others killed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Edited to reflect my lack of originality. People take action that results in death. Whether they use a stone, club, knife, potato peeler or whatever. Personal responsibility seems to be taken out of the equation.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Re: A thought on retorts to "Guns are designed to KILL"

Rocks are designed to kill (just ask Cain)... Everything since has just been improvement in design.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Yes...when something bad happens,get down!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links