Good Omens

Good Omens

This is a discussion on Good Omens within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Driving home from DIA Wednesday afternoon, my wife and I saw a Bald Eagle flying towards us while we were on Pena Boulevard. It was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Good Omens

Smile Good Omens

Driving home from DIA Wednesday afternoon, my wife and I saw a Bald Eagle flying towards us while we were on Pena Boulevard. It was majestic. Gorgeous. Later that afternoon, as the day waned, she then looked out our kitchen window, and called me over. We then watched a Mountain Lion angle across our back yard, stopping and checking the brush and timber piles for dinner. We got to watch him for 10 or 15 minutes.

We feel blessed.
    DMan, Badey, jbum and 16 others like this.

You are, I have had a similar experience two years ago this past fall. The difference is that it was a Bald Eagle in the early morning, and a Brown Bear late afternoon.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I don't blame you for feeling blessed… An Eagle is a rare sighting around here.
    My blessed feeling last night was from the sounds of US Marines having fun, to the northeast of me I could hear artillery reports late into the night, and to the southeast the steady beat of heavy weapons being fired in short and well-controlled bursts.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

When I was a kid we almost never saw birds of prey. Now I see hawks or owls almost daily and eagles once in a while (Ospreys more than Bald Eagles). At any rate for sure they are good to see!

Administrator
    We need some good omens these days.
    I'll take the sighting of an American Bald Eagle as a good omen.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    When I was a kid we almost never saw birds of prey. Now I see hawks or owls almost daily and eagles once in a while (Ospreys more than Bald Eagles). At any rate for sure they are good to see!
    Before I left Boston we were suddenly seeing Hawks in the city. I saw that as a bad Omen. Hawks, I would imagine, would rather not be in the city unless they had no choice. One dropped a mouse on a woman's lap in the middle of a Red Sox game. Now there are wild turkeys in the city I grew up in

One dropped a mouse on a woman's lap

Birds are very sensitive to the quality and cleanliness of the environment. Hence more sightings are a great sign the environment is healthier and bird populations are rebounding.

Raptors hanging out in the cities is great - cleaning up the sky-rats, the rats and the like. They'll go where is food is plentiful and they are safer, maybe the cities meet those needs.

In McAllen one winter, I watched Hawks sun on this building's ledges:

It was very neat to see raptors up close and personal from inside.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No eagles and lions here, only ospreys and bobcats. You take what nature gives you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

mouse on a woman's lap
    Mouse Nachos?

VIP Member
    I've seen a few Eagles around here...swooping low over the Potomac river. They are breathtaking! I've never seen a wild cat like that though. Down the street there is an old farm with a very old barn in bad shape. One day in the fall I saw this...a whole row of Turkey Buzzards lined up on the roof. They were totally silent. Very creepy!
    Attached Images
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I thought at first that the little guy shown in my thumbnail pic here was a knick knack my wife had picked up at a yard sale until he finally blinked at me. He hung around here for about 2 hours one day last summer and then he flew away. Whether or not this little owl was a good omen he did have the effect of raising our spirits that day. I'm no bird expert but I believe he's a Western Screech Owl.
    Attached Images

Owls are great to have around! No rodents!
    IronMike likes this.

Nothing here but housecats and buzzards. Not sure what kind of omen that is.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One saying your cats are starving and the buzzards are waiting.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A couple of years ago while traveling to a musical gig up WV St. Rt 2, I was fortunate to witness a Bald Eagle floating overhead.

I have lived here all my life and this was the very first time I have seen out National Bird. It was a breathtaking site for sure.

Apparently up at a wetlands area at Greenbottom there are a pair of nesting Eagles who have found this area to their liking. I have not witnessed the Eagle anymore.

I did see a Golden Eagle on a stop while migrating. Thought it was a Red Tailed Hawk but as I got closer it was no hawk. Too big. It was sitting on the limb of a dead tree surveying the surroundings. Impressive to say the least.

Ben Franklin suggested the Turkey to be the National Bird but for some reason it didn't "fly."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links