I did something dumb the other day - Page 2

I did something dumb the other day

This is a discussion on I did something dumb the other day within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We get very few visitors that we aren't expecting, But meat sales people are one of the main offenders. One shows up a couple of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I did something dumb the other day

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    We get very few visitors that we aren't expecting, But meat sales people are one of the main offenders. One shows up a couple of years ago with the wife out in the yard. He starts his spiel, She says no, He asks why, she says her freezer is full, He gathers up an arm load of meat and says He can make it fit. She says no again but hes headed into the house! That's about the time I'm coming up from the barn with the dogs. For some reason the dogs locked on him, He jumps back into the back of his truck, Now Hes mad because his meat is spilled all over, I'm apologizing for the dogs [ They have really never done that before!], and the wife is trying to tell me to get rid of this guy. So I sort out the mess and send him away and get the whole story from the wife. After I asked her what she would have done if he had gone into the house? She said "I don't know its never happened before". I reminded her that there's a gun and a phone in the garage. [ it's detached from the house]. But we live and learn. Had I not been home the dogs would have been up with her at the house, And I don't think they would have let him in the fence. But you never know. DR
    JoJoGunn and 383 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I heard a knock on the door, saw a van outside and opened the door. I had my dog by the collar because he always has to be first to see who's there. It was a man I'd never seen before and there was another guy sitting in the van waiting. He asked me if I was interested in a home delivery service of meat and seafood.

So there I am, alone in the house, distracted by the dog, talking to a guy I've never seen before in a relatively isolated neighborhood. Gun is upstairs locked in the gun safe.

While he was talking all I could think was, "I can't believe I just did this. If I admit this to the forum they will have a field day telling me how dumb I am", so I thought I'd beat you to it.

It was a wake up call for me and I'll never do it again. It's so easy to let your guard down and not pay attention.

^^Jean, Don't be so hard on yourself^^^^^^^^^

All we had to do is look at your hair color.

In all seriousness, glad you had an epiphany under a non-incident instead of it being an actual personal SHTF scenario.

Especially if you are home alone, the pistol should be ON YOU!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

One of the great things about a community like this is that we can all learn from each others' experiences instead of having to learn everything on our own. The great thing about OUR community is that we can share our experiences and not get ridiculed for it.

Thanks for contributing to our learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I heard a knock on the door, saw a van outside and opened the door. I had my dog by the collar because he always has to be first to see who's there. It was a man I'd never seen before and there was another guy sitting in the van waiting. He asked me if I was interested in a home delivery service of meat and seafood.

So there I am, alone in the house, distracted by the dog, talking to a guy I've never seen before in a relatively isolated neighborhood. Gun is upstairs locked in the gun safe.

While he was talking all I could think was, "I can't believe I just did this. If I admit this to the forum they will have a field day telling me how dumb I am", so I thought I'd beat you to it.

It was a wake up call for me and I'll never do it again. It's so easy to let your guard down and not pay attention.

It's crazy you bring this up. Just yesterday, while I was upstairs a meat salesman came to the door and my girlfriend actually let him into the house.

I came downstairs to some stranger who didn't want to take no for an answer. I finally got him to leave and, needless to say, I had to a long, important talk with my girl about the situation. This WILL NOT be happening in this household again.

I tend to carry while I'm around the house, so I did have my glock on my hip, but it was the 30 seconds this guy had to case my house and be alone with my girlfriend before I could get downstairs that bothered me...
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Glad you're OK.

Their meat is lousy anyway.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Te absolvo. Go and sin no more!
    JoJoGunn likes this.

It's ok, Jean, we are human and can't be on our game at all the time. We are so distracted by life that we do not take the time to think about what we would do should we be confronted by a situation that could result in an attack.

I also did something really stupid myself, but at the time the shock of the event made me lose my situational awareness.

We had a burglary on 12/9/2012 as we came home from putting on a Church Play for our youth. When I went to put the key into the back door it swung open and I saw wood debris on the floor. Uh oh.

Did I call 911? No

Did I go get the wife's .357 magnum from her before entering. No

I charged in, ran upstairs to discover 6 of my firearms gone and drawers ranscacked. I was lucky, if I the thug had still been inside, he would have been armed with my .25, .380, .38spl and my 9mm, all but the .25 loaded and ready to fire. Lucky for me the theif was gone out the front door with my handguns and two rifles. No doubt I could have been wounded or killed by confronting the thug and my loaded pistols and me being unarmed.

I learned a valuable lesson and if I ever find that door open again and a possible inturder is there, I won't be so instistient on going in unarmed or at all.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

There are times I do not carry in my own home (I'm sitting in my bathrobe as I type this) but I have learned from the various JW's that want to talk about the bible in early AM, that I finally hid a gun within ~two feet of the front door and can easily grab it on my way to that front door. I can see who is at the door as I approach so I feel confident that I can be armed as I approach that person(s). They have seen me grab something from my hiding place and they are then aware. Besides, my dog at this time is highly agitated and he is normally the one that is stared at as I get to the door.
    My first question through the door is if they saw my no soliciting sign at the mailbox at the end of the driveway. I wait for the response and tell them its real. They do go away every time.

BTW, its just the wife and me... no kids... so the loose gun is OK... we are both trained.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    No one has said it so I will:

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Hang on a second. The door bell just rang and the dog is going nuts...
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Smart people do dumb things all the time.

I'm reminded of the story of the burglars that were shot by a homeowner. The surviving one was quoted as saying "Who the **** carries a gun at home?"

joe

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Jeanne, on second thought--go stand in the corner for 30 minutes. Bad girl, bad girl, whatcha gonna do when he comes (back) for you!

And who would buy meat out of the back of a truck anyhow?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm glad you are Ok. Get a retention holster and carry at home. Think about now what would you do if he had kicked the door open.

One of the ladys on GA Packing has the sig line: nothing says LMTFA like a chick with a .45 on her hip
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I'm glad you are Ok. Get a retention holster and carry at home. Think about now what would you do if he had kicked the door open.

One of the ladys on GA Packing has the sig line: nothing says LMTFA like a chick with a .45 on her hip
    I was thinking she might be a keeper!
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Several years ago I was home alone watching t.v. My wife was out for the evening thank God. This was long before I regularly carried.
    Anyway, I had a few firearms that had never been used and every now and then I would bring one out just to freshen up on their function and operation and just wipe it down. I was checking out the Mossberg when the doorbell rang around 8p.m.
    It was just after Christmas so it was dark out and I was not expecting anyone. I quickly put the Moss back in the box and slid it under the coffee table and rose to answer the door.
    On the porch, there were three guys standing there with one of them carrying a Christmas wrapped package. I assumed it was a pleasant delivery.
    I smiled through the side window and opened the door just slightly. When I did, one or more of them blasted through the door and pushed me backward. One of them then pepper sprayed me and fists were flying. It was the most unreal moment because for the two to three seconds from opening the door to the spray and fists, I really didn't comprehend the danger that I was in. It was just so foreign of an event.
    I am not violent person and never was a fighter but thankfully the adrenaline kicked in to where I was able to fend off the attack and push all three of them back out the door, all while screaming either obscenities at them or hollering for help, hoping a neighbor would hear me.
    Out the door, I was able to go on the offensive, swinging and swearing at them until they finally scrambled to their car where I could feintly see two more figures inside. I tried to get a license # , but with the spray in my eyes, all I could see was silouettes and no details. They got in gear and took off.
    Why didn't I go for the Mossy you ask?
    This whole event took place in less than one minute, and for not one second did I think about the shotgun under the table. It just never made it into my conscious state of mind.
    When it was over, I had stingy eyes , afew cuts and bruises, and a bruised ego that I didn't grab that gun and inflict some pain on my attackers. However in hindsight, I didn't suffer the guilt of killing someone or the expense of defending myself legally if I had.
    Had I retreated to the family room and the gun, I'm not sure I could have engaged it with three guys on my heels and they very well could have and probably would have been able to wrestle it from me.
    The lesson for me was that there is never enough training and try to always be aware of surroundings. It can and does happen anytime and anywhere. Now I always have a firearm nearby and always when I go to the door.

P.S. I am pretty sure this happened as a result of a disgruntled employee, but was not able to prove it and the police were never able to solve it.
    Buckeye00 likes this.

Administrator
    Door to door Meat/Seafood sales are usually stolen product either from hi-jacked trucks or "inside jobs" w/ stuff stolen from warehouses.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links