I did something dumb the other day

This is a discussion on I did something dumb the other day within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; JeanLouise ...? JeanLouise ........?? We didn't poke too hard, now, did we?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I did something dumb the other day

JeanLouise ...?

JeanLouise ........??

We didn't poke too hard, now, did we?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Door to door Meat/Seafood sales are usually stolen product either from hi-jacked trucks or "inside jobs" w/ stuff stolen from warehouses.
    Yeah, well, I'm all for a delivery service but I'd much prefer to head to a legitimate brick-and-mortar operation and arrange for the deliveries myself. Stuff like this drive-by stuff smells altogether too much like fencing stereo gear from the back of a van. Like as not, someone's getting royally screwed because of it. I'd prefer to do my shopping elsewhere, thankee very much.

VIP Member
    Thanks for all your replies! Even yours oneshot, but you are going to be in trouble for it because blondes are a protected class on CW.com

Yes, I am lucky this time and I've thought about it and how differently it could have turned out. Some of you have had some really bad experiences.

I'm definitely going to keep my gun downstairs in an easily accessable place and never answer the door again without it close by.

I really appreciate your support and suggestions. I plan to take them!
    lchamp, Foxy and babarock like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Everyone makes mistakes. Thank God you didnt pay the price for it. While a lot will disagree with me I suppose that is why I have my firearm on me until i go to bed and then in arms reach while in bed.

It takes about a half second for a man to kick in 90 percent of household doors. At that rate they will be at my firearm by the door before I am if I kept it there. If its on me I dont have to hit that moment of This is getting weird and my firearm is in the other room.
    Glad you safe. Keep it on you.

VIP Member
    We all make mistakes and the best thing we can do is learn from them. You've realized what you did wrong and having a plan for a similar future occurrence is the first and best step. Don't beat yourself up and be grateful that you're ok.

I had a similar recent occurrence where the door bell rang in the evening and it was a man and woman asking if I'd answer some survey questions. I politely but firmly told them through the closed door that I wasn't interested. I had to tell them twice before they left. If they had asked a third time, I would have called 911.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    This is one of the reasons I always open carry at home. The only time anyone commented on it was when the mailperson wanted to talk about guns and her EDC.

Our community is posted "no solicitation allowed", but that doesn't seem to mean anything to those who would solicit...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I come close to doing something like this last night. A knock on the door @ 11:00 PM (highly unusual for this to happen at my house) and I came close opening the door without asking who it was, etc. I didn't even have my gun on me. I looked through the peep hole and saw that it was my brother so it was all good. If it had been someone I didn't know, I would've went back to get my gun and ask what he wanted without opening the door.

It is wise never to open the door to strangers. In fact instead of having packages delivered to your home have them delivered to the post office or the UPS office and pick them up. Criminals have been known to wear fake UPS uniforms.

There are people who do sell meat and seafood door to door, I once applied for a job to do that, but decided not to.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I come close to doing something like this last night. A knock on the door @ 11:00 PM (highly unusual for this to happen at my house) and I came close opening the door without asking who it was, etc. I didn't even have my gun on me. I looked through the peep hole and saw that it was my brother so it was all good. If it had been someone I didn't know, I would've went back to get my gun and ask what he wanted without opening the door.
    Are you sure? I have heard the thugs are dressing up like peoples brothers to gain entry! J/K

We all need to take a lesson and keep aware that the predators will stop at nothing to get at you.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Are you sure? I have heard the thugs are dressing up like peoples brothers to gain entry! J/K

We all need to take a lesson and keep aware that the predators will stop at nothing to get at you.
    Yeah, this guy was acting dumb like my brother - you'd have to know him. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Thanks for all your replies! Even yours oneshot, but you are going to be in trouble for it because blondes are a protected class on CW.com

Yes, I am lucky this time and I've thought about it and how differently it could have turned out. Some of you have had some really bad experiences.

I'm definitely going to keep my gun downstairs in an easily accessable place and never answer the door again without it close by.

I really appreciate your support and suggestions. I plan to take them!
    You must have forgotten to add the part about getting a holster so you could keep your weapon on your person?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've never heard of a door-to-door meat salesman! Never! If they had tried that with me, I would tell them I was a vegetarian. Where could they go with that? Insist that I stop being vegetarian so I can buy their meat? Seriously. Some people are waaaay too pushy.

I am a newbie (to all of this) and I see I have much to learn. Fortunately we get very few people at our door, and I am planning on getting a lot of good education in the upcoming weeks/months.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Things your burglar will never tell you: I always knock first. If someone answers the door,I'll just ask for directions or pretend I'm sellig meat and just leave. I f no one answers the door I know I can help myself.
    Foxy likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Renata View Post
    I've never heard of a door-to-door meat salesman! Never! If they had tried that with me, I would tell them I was a vegetarian. Where could they go with that? Insist that I stop being vegetarian so I can buy their meat? Seriously. Some people are waaaay too pushy.

I am a newbie (to all of this) and I see I have much to learn. Fortunately we get very few people at our door, and I am planning on getting a lot of good education in the upcoming weeks/months.
    Oh yes there are hundreds of people that sell meat out of trucks. I've seen them plenty times. They have a freezer in the backup of their pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Things your burglar will never tell you: I always knock first. If someone answers the door,I'll just ask for directions or pretend I'm sellig meat and just leave. I f no one answers the door I know I can help myself.
    I've never heard of random door-to-door meat salesmen, either. I'm betting your explanation is just as likely. Who's to say what was in that van. Could easily have been break-in tools and plenty of room for the goods.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links