I did something dumb the other day

This is a discussion on I did something dumb the other day within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I heard a knock on the door, saw a van outside and opened the door. I had my dog by the collar because he always ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I did something dumb the other day

VIP Member

I heard a knock on the door, saw a van outside and opened the door. I had my dog by the collar because he always has to be first to see who's there. It was a man I'd never seen before and there was another guy sitting in the van waiting. He asked me if I was interested in a home delivery service of meat and seafood.

So there I am, alone in the house, distracted by the dog, talking to a guy I've never seen before in a relatively isolated neighborhood. Gun is upstairs locked in the gun safe.

While he was talking all I could think was, "I can't believe I just did this. If I admit this to the forum they will have a field day telling me how dumb I am", so I thought I'd beat you to it.

It was a wake up call for me and I'll never do it again. It's so easy to let your guard down and not pay attention.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Well, although I'd never call you dumb for doing something we all have done at some point, myself included; I am glad I turned out to be a none event.. Being that it made you realize just how risky it was to do such a thing in this day and age, I'm sure anything gleaned from this site will fall short of what you have come to realize of your own accord.. Take care, and stay safe! My only advice would be, the firearm should always be on you, even at home. if your carry gun is so uncomfortable that you'd rather not wear it at the house, invest in a pocket pistol. GBK
    DMan and 10thmtn like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Heck Jean, I do something dumd on most days, I think it's got something to do with my age..I do keep my gun on when at home because "home invaision" was a major factor in why I decided to carry.

Stay safe.
    aceakarick likes this.

I have done it also and when I shut the door I got yelled at for doing it. In my case it was people selling cable services trying to get me to switch from Comcast. We had one person selling meat close to about a mile away and the homeowner had no trespassing signs on his property and he shot the unarmed meat salesman not once but twice. Needless to say he was arrested.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Yeah there seems to be a lot of solicitors in our are also. They came to my street and have been affirmed to be fakes, so I dont know what they are up to, If they are looking for easy prey or scoping out the houses?.. It happened a few times and one time I as well opened the door because the guy was banging hard and it got me pretty mad to say the least. I did have the gun holstered under my shirt on my hip and I only talked to him through the storm door, I also had an extremely bright flashlight in his face most of the time. (sure he liked that)

Anyway he said he was doing the neighbors door and windows the next day (LIE) I just said not interested.. But I did the same thing, I opened the door...If Im not expecting anyone and I dont know them then I wont open the door anymore. Plus it was dark out.. The old people across the street open their door all the time, I try to watch them when these "solicitors" are on the block.. Told them to not open the door for anyone they dont know, but the old man isn't afraid of anyone he said lol.. It only takes a second for a thug to push you right in your house even if your armed its just not worth it.

We had the meat salesmen here once and in my experience, they won't take no for an answer. It almost takes a gun to get them to leave. Glad it turned out OK for you. Because of some things that have happened with the neighbors recently, I have been carrying around the house too.
    dangerranger likes this.

Glad your ok and your still here to tell us about it. A wake up call indeed I try to keep my gun close at hand at all times. Just never know in these days and times. Anyway glad you are ok and still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    While he was talking all I could think was, "I can't believe I just did this. If I admit this to the forum they will have a field day telling me how dumb I am", so I thought I'd beat you to it.
    Dumb is when you either don't realize and/or don't learn from it. Smart is doing both. I'd say, you're on the ball, on this one.

As to leaving the gun elsewhere locked in the safe, that sort of takes the gun out of active-duty doesn't it? These situations highlight how useful it is to go armed even when messing about the house, particularly if home alone. (But then, you knew that, and caught it immediately.)

Dumb would've been sweeping it under the rug. So, even coming here and fessin' up was smart.

See, that wasn't so bad.

Of course, now a couple of "delivery" folks know you are home alone sometimes and answer the door apparently unprepared for the worst. Something to keep aware of, now that "the word" is out. Probably they were who they said they were, but you never know. With those you've never seen or heard of ... you never know.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Live and learn. Having learned you will be even safer now!

DARBO..... in my book it's LAUGH and Learn.
    I hate people that can't laugh at their own inappropriate actions.

JEANLOUISE....Glad you're safe. I'd hate to be the NEXT stranger at your door! LOL

Jean,

Stop beating yourself up over what happened. Live, learn and get on with life.

If I were you, why not carry your firearm on you when home alone? It's good practice to carry on our bodies and it eliminates situations like what happened to you. If you don't want to carry on your person than leave it in an area that only you have immediate access to.

I remember back in my younger years a scraggily and I mean scraggily man was outside my house. He scared the hell into me and there was no way I was opening my door for him. He walked up my drive and along side my house where I could not see him and than he would walk back to his vehicle and he did this several times.

I dialed our local police department and told them what was taking place. Well, 20 minutes later and a business card in my front door the police showed up.
    Happened to be, this guy that looked like the walking dead was a car dealer and was looking at my Cutlass Supreme.

Talk about being scared. Mind you, I was a young lad and at the time had no type of Firearm but that situation opened my eyes...

I am glad that everything worked out for you Jean..

Jean,

Stop beating yourself up over what happened. Live, learn and get on with life.

If I were you, why not carry your firearm on you when home alone? It's good practice to carry on our bodies and it eliminates situations like what happened to you. If you don't want to carry on your person than leave it in an area that only you have immediate access to.

I remember back in my younger years a scraggily and I mean scraggily man was outside my house. He scared the hell into me and there was no way I was opening my door for him. He walked up my drive and along side my house where I could not see him and than he would walk back to his vehicle and he did this several times.

I dialed our local police department and told them what was taking place. Well, 20 minutes later and a business card in my front door the police showed up.
    Happened to be, this guy that looked like the walking dead was a car dealer and was looking at my Cutlass Supreme.

Talk about being scared. Mind you, I was a young lad and at the time had no type of Firearm but that situation opened my eyes...

I am glad that everything worked out for you Jean..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Had a "D'oh!" moment, did we?

Got little ones running around the house? I don't so there's always a loaded gun available for just such incidents. I have no legal requirements to "secure" my firearms. The problem with locked away gun is just that, they're locked away.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I had my dog by the collar because he always has to be first to see who's there.
    The great things about most dogs is that they don't let their guard down. When held by the collar most people can't tell a friendly dog versus one that they should be wary of. Even police dogs when chasing their "prey" are having fun.

A trick my wife uses when she is alone in the house, and isn't sure what is going at the door is yelling at loud "Honey, someone is at the door, let me take care of them first."

A friend of mine had a programmable door bell, when rang it sounded like 2 huge dogs barking because of the door bell. I wanted one, but my dogs would go nuts whenever it heard it.

Recently (over Christmas) I was at my parents, and we designed a pepper spray holder that attaches to the door. This way it is right within grasp if someone tries to push the door in when my mom answers it.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I gave your post a like because of the fact that you realized what you did which means you learned from the experience. Just put what you learned into action.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links