WAAAAYYY off topic Cell Phone ? for tech savvy peoples

This is a discussion on WAAAAYYY off topic Cell Phone ? for tech savvy peoples within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm gonna switch to the Walmart unlimited pre pay plan and looking for an inexpensive smart phone,that i can basically talk text read email and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WAAAAYYY off topic Cell Phone ? for tech savvy peoples

I'm gonna switch to the Walmart unlimited pre pay plan and looking for an inexpensive smart phone,that i can basically talk text read email and maybe even send pics etc.
    When it comes to phones I'm like a new guy coming on that has no idea about guns except if you pull the trigger they go bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Smart phone tend to make people stupid. Just stand at the mall or store and watch....
    msgt/ret, foxytwo and Sig35seven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Smart phone tend to make people stupid. Just stand at the mall or store and watch....
    I remember the video of a woman texting-while-walking in a mall, walked right into the fountain.

Found it. Woman Falls in Mall Fountain While Texting - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    ^^ Ta dah!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna switch to the Walmart unlimited pre pay plan and looking for an inexpensive smart phone,that i can basically talk text read email and maybe even send pics etc.
    When it comes to phones I'm like a new guy coming on that has no idea about guns except if you pull the trigger they go bang
    I'd suggest opting for one of the least-expensive "dumb" (old-school style) phones, ideally piggy-backing on a "friends & family" type of group account where that new phone's likely to be next to nothing or free. Particularly if you don't use it much. Particularly if you can wait to use the computer when you get back home, for all the "smart" features via the web. YMMV, not for everyone.

I'm with others, though, on this one: "smart" phones don't seem like the smartest way to go about it. After all, whatever phone you get will still come with voicemail. And voicemail's still that neat little feature that helps you avoid having to live your live at the discretion of your phone's little noises and bleeps.

Dinosaurs unite!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I agree with ccw. Get a family plan and take the smart phone that's free or under $10. Pick the lowest data plan with unlimited talk and text. Unless you use it for downloading things, have lots of apps etc. you probably won't come close to using all your data in one month.

At least start out that way, you can always upgrade your plan if you want to.

Does Wal-mart offer any phones or do you have to buy one somewhere else?

I don't have a smart phone but I can talk, text and send pictures. I love the text feature. I can say what I have to say and that's it.

Good luck. Buying a new cell phone is as stressful as buying a new car IMO.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Most of the smart phones today are running some version of the Android operating system, so the interface should be similar on most of them. I'd look for something with a decent camera on. You'll be amazed how frequently you'll want to take a picture of something and find having a phone that takes nice pictures comes in very handy. On the Walmart website, it doesn't look like they offer very many well reviewed phones through the walmart plan. Out of the one's I see, these are the two I'd recommend.

$99.97
    Shop for the T Mobile Walmart Family Mobile for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
    It's a pretty basic entry level Smart Phone, I had one similar a few years back. The camera is 2 megapixel, which will be decent enough to share pictures over text, but pretty bad if you want them printed out as a 3x5 or anything.

$299 (Not inexpensive, but to give you a comparison)
    Walmart Family Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II 4G - Walmart.com
    Bigger screen, faster all the way around; if you are in a 4G area, any data access on your phone is going to be significantly faster.
    The camera is 8 megapixels, which is good enough to compete with a fair amount of the digital cameras on the market. The video recording on it is full high-definition. I personally find having a nice camera always in your pocket to be a really nice luxury.

As far as I've seen, all Android phones have Google Maps built in, which you can use for turn by turn navigation as long as you have cell service (or pre-downloaded the area's you are traveling in)

Android phones also have great email apps built in, which make it easy to read/reply to emails. I use the Gmail app to read/respond to most of my emails.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    I used to be a firm believer that the purpose of a cell phone, was to have phone conversations. I've since then given in with the latest iPhone. It has added hours back to my day.

* I start my day by checking email while sitting at my uh... home office.
    * I have details of every person that I've done business with for the last 30 years at my fingertips.
    * If I'm walking and looking at a piece of property to buy, I can pull up Google Earth and see the geography that's surrounding the place I'm standing.
    * It takes better pics than my digital camera. One less item to carry around with me when walking land.
    * My stock investments are monitored at near real-time and sends me alerts at thresholds that I specify.
    * I don't have to carry a notepad while out in the field. I just speak my notes.
    * I can run test scenarios on mortgage amortizations on the fly, save them, and email them off with a push of one button.
    * I can access my office spreadsheets from the field.
    * I can scan documents in the field.

I really don't even think of it as a phone anymore. It's my data center, and occasionally I use it for a phone conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, folks thought computers were stupid and useless and answering machines took away they personal touch from communications when they came out.

Any "smart phone" will be fine (Androis, iPhone). Take JeanLousises advice and start with a small data plan and see how much you use. If at home or in a wifi hotspot make sure you do any data with that network since you will not be charged.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I used to be a firm believer that the purpose of a cell phone, was to have phone conversations. I've since then given in with the latest iPhone. It has added hours back to my day.

* I start my day by checking email while sitting at my uh... home office.
    * I have details of every person that I've done business with for the last 30 years at my fingertips.
    * If I'm walking and looking at a piece of property to buy, I can pull up Google Earth and see the geography that's surrounding the place I'm standing.
    * It takes better pics than my digital camera. One less item to carry around with me when walking land.
    * My stock investments are monitored at near real-time and sends me alerts at thresholds that I specify.
    * I don't have to carry a notepad while out in the field. I just speak my notes.
    * I can run test scenarios on mortgage amortizations on the fly, save them, and email them off with a push of one button.
    * I can access my office spreadsheets from the field.
    * I can scan documents in the field.

I really don't even think of it as a phone anymore. It's my data center, and occasionally I use it for a phone conversation.
    I agree. I carry an 8 year old plain Jane phone that gives me only phone, voice-mail, and text messages. Mrs H
    OTOH lives her life on the iPhone, iMac, and iPad. She has some business stuff
    that wouldn't happen without that stuff.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yeah, folks thought computers were stupid and useless and answering machines took away they personal touch from communications when they came out.

Any "smart phone" will be fine (Androis, iPhone). Take JeanLousises advice and start with a small data plan and see how much you use. If at home or in a wifi hotspot make sure you do any data with that network since you will not be charged.
    You really need to work on your reading skills. I didn't say smart phones were stupid; I said they tend to make people stupid. Because cells don't "think,"
    they can be neither smart nor stupid, only programed to respond. Useful--yes. To walk around with one's nose constantly stuck in their cell phone, oblivious to the world around you--well, form your own opinion.

My smart phone is now my camera, music device, note/list taker, handheld game device, calendar, video camera, contact list, etcetera. I rarely use it as a phone.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I bought a phone online with the android thingy and for 45.00 a month get unlimited talk/text/data,I had a plan with sprint I was paying 71.00 a month for 350 talk and unlimited text,so I will be getting a lot more for a lot less
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

Thumbs up

I bought a phone online with the android thingy and for 45.00 a month get unlimited talk/text/data,I had a plan with sprint I was paying 71.00 a month for 350 talk and unlimited text,so I will be getting a lot more for a lot less
    Take the time to play with the thingy. You might find some real benefits there.

Whose plan did you go with? My contract expires in a few months and I will be looking at pre-paid plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links