Divining Rods/Dowsing Rods

This is a discussion on Divining Rods/Dowsing Rods within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone have experience with these? I witnessed a 40+ years experienced old timer find a buried gas line with 2 copper rods bent into "L" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Divining Rods/Dowsing Rods

Divining Rods/Dowsing Rods

Anyone have experience with these?

I witnessed a 40+ years experienced old timer find a buried gas line with 2 copper rods bent into "L" shape. I was impressed and I can now locate my buried water supply line with it but haven't really tried much else. I feel confident that I could locate my buried power line. The principles of induced current and magnetic fields can help me to have confidence in those.

However the same technique is supposed to be able to find lost items. That's where it gets hokey for me.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I agree with the hokey.
    thephanatik and WINTEJER000 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Anyone have experience with these?

I witnessed a 40+ years experienced old timer find a buried gas line with 2 copper rods bent into "L" shape. I was impressed and I can now locate my buried water supply line with it but haven't really tried much else. I feel confident that I could locate my buried power line. The principles of induced current and magnetic fields can help me to have confidence in those.

However the same technique is supposed to be able to find lost items. That's where it gets hokey for me.
    No better than chance. Some light reading for the interested: Dowsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VIP Member
    I watched a farmer do the same thing here on atctimmy farm. When we moved in nobody knew where our septic tank was. A friend from church said he could come over and find it.

He took two metal coat hangers and made two #7 shaped metal "thingies". Then he walked around and found two or three drain pipes under the ground. It was cool to watch him do it.

I don't know anything about finding lost "items", just that it does work to find running water.
    oneshot likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Oh yes...divining rods work great. I was taught to use a dowsing rod by my friend Harvey (the invisible rabbit). Pooka rabbits are extremely skilled at finding just about anything using these tools. In fact...I believe Pooka's may have invented them.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I believe Lewis Carroll was using divining rods when he discovered Alice!
    Sig35seven and Hopyard like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    I will go on record and say that I didn't believe it either. In fact, when my friend told me what he was going to do I laughed. I thought he was joking.

When he came to the farm and did it I marked where he got "hits" with the little flags you get with an invisible fence for dogs. Soon we had thee distinct lines of flags going in three separate directions.

When he was done we dug it up and he had found two pipes for draining away rain water and the pipe that led to the septic tank.

So, laugh all you want. It works.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I've never been able to make them work, but I've seen plenty of people use them over the years.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I have been trying, very unsuccessfully for the last several years to divine the exact spot in Lake Erie where my boat sank with all my firearms on board. I will let you know when they turn up.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I still don't understand it, but I do believe it works.

I once had an ol-timer whittle up a fresh branch, shaped like a Y, and had me hold it with my palms up and torque/twist each leg of the Y so that the long end pointed up a little. He then walked me up to his well, and I could not stop the branch from pointing down.

I have a septic guy that I use for all of my builds. He uses two coat hangers sitting in shotgun shells. Obviously it works for him, but I tried it and it didn't work a bit.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

I've seen our water dept. guys use them to find lines that weren't where they were thought to be. It was interesting. I do believe they work, but think it's kind of an art to using them effectively. The guy on the water dept. said it was some guy who was about 70 years old who taught him how to use one.
    Last edited by Bark'n; January 14th, 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I will go on record and say that I didn't believe it either. In fact, when my friend told me what he was going to do I laughed. I thought he was joking.

When he came to the farm and did it I marked where he got "hits" with the little flags you get with an invisible fence for dogs. Soon we had thee distinct lines of flags going in three separate directions.

When he was done we dug it up and he had found two pipes for draining away rain water and the pipe that led to the septic tank.

So, laugh all you want. It works.
    Was your neighbor around when they trenched those pipes?
    jibbr71 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I can do it and my brother can do it, but our parents cannot. I believe there is a perfectly good scientific explanation for it, but I don't know what it is. I don't believe there is any kind of mystical voodoo. I can do it for water sources, so the stick will even pull towards a person because people are high in liquid content. I don't believe the lost object finding though, that's what metal detectors and bloodhounds are for.

I prefer a forked stick, like from a willow tree. It's a really weird thing to hold that forked stick FIRM and it will start to PULL and DRAG DOWN when it gets to a water source.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    Just the other day on Unearthing Americas Secrets...(a good show BTW) a long time dowser hit on 50 out of 60ish possible buried artifacts.
    In other words they flagged about 60 locations where he said that something was in the ground and 50 of those were positive hits.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Another thing. I've had people say, "well, you're relaxing your hands or rolling the stick across your palms, making the stick dip." My dad said that, so I white knuckled that stick and made him grab on to my hand to prove I wasn't making it move.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links