Rule # 1 cardio.

This is a discussion on Rule # 1 cardio. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; @Tim, good topic and some good points. I know that what I do is not for everyone, and maybe not even for me at this ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Rule # 1 cardio.

VIP Member
    @Tim, good topic and some good points.

I know that what I do is not for everyone, and maybe not even for me at this point in my life, but
    I refuse to quit the MA/workout. Three-four times a week when possible.

I know I'm being as foolish as the person who won't quit smoking; I've been warned, "no rough sports."
    Ha. Well I gave up the Arnis sticks.

I've been asked, "does your doctor know you're doing this?" Ans. I told him I go to the gym. I didn't tell him
    what I do, he wouldn't get it.

Got punched in the face today. So far so good notwithstanding the blood thinners.

And Jeanlouise, I don't want to hear about it. I know. I know.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's not the posts that make me mad. It's the fact that my cousin would die of a massive heart attack before he was ever able to get to the battle. He talks tough but in reality he is a big jelly doughnut of a man.
    Every person has a place, just remember that... You don't need to run faster than the zombies, you just need to run faster than your cousin!
    Hopyard, atctimmy, l1a1 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, you're right. It'd take a while to eat that much, giving you time to get away.
    atctimmy, TX expat and pgrass101 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Do what you can, guys. Being healthy is a good goal to strive for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    @Tim, good topic and some good points.

I know that what I do is not for everyone, and maybe not even for me at this point in my life, but
    I refuse to quit the MA/workout. Three-four times a week when possible.

I know I'm being as foolish as the person who won't quit smoking; I've been warned, "no rough sports."
    Ha. Well I gave up the Arnis sticks.

I've been asked, "does your doctor know you're doing this?" Ans. I told him I go to the gym. I didn't tell him
    what I do, he wouldn't get it.

Got punched in the face today. So far so good notwithstanding the blood thinners.

And Jeanlouise, I don't want to hear about it. I know. I know.
    I wrestled for about 10 years. I would really like to get into a Mixed MMA class. Both for the fitness and to learn a little more about fighting.

My problem is my crazy work schedule. I'm almost never off of work when the rest of the world is off. It's tough to find any class, be it college or otherwise, that fits my schedule. : (
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    I wrestled for about 10 years. I would really like to get into a Mixed MMA class. Both for the fitness and to learn a little more about fighting.

My problem is my crazy work schedule. I'm almost never off of work when the rest of the world is off. It's tough to find any class, be it college or otherwise, that fits my schedule. : (
    Maybe my recollection is off, but I thought at one time you were doing one of the formal MAs; traditional taikwando?
    Anyway, having had no interest in this stuff until I was 60, I have lots of catch up to do. And now I'm a little too
    over the hill for much more of it. So guys, do it while you can. Before they put your butt in ICU.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    So my question to DC.com is this: Why should our Government fear a group of overweight, burger eating, milkshake slurping, fatso Americans who can't even walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to catch their breath?

For the same reason the USSR gave up in Afghanistan, and the same reason they(Afghan rebels) are making the US look foolish sometimes)
    Underestimate your opponent, and try to take something important away from them, and they will get mad.
    Also, there are a LOT of older(over 40) vets and hunters who won't like giving up their right to own and keep arms.

Which reminds me of something I came across a while ago.

Why not send old guys off to war?
    For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy. Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky. 20 and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier.. 'My back hurts!I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some ******* that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while. An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a.m. Old guys always get up early to pee so what the hell. Besides, like I said, 'I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical s-of-a-b....

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training. Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet. An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way. Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.

***How about recruiting Women over 50 ....with PMS !!! You think Men have attitudes !!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God!!!

If nothing else, put us on border patrol.....we will have it secured the first night!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe my recollection is off, but I thought at one time you were doing one of the formal MAs; traditional taikwando?
    Anyway, having had no interest in this stuff until I was 60, I have lots of catch up to do. And now I'm a little too
    over the hill for much more of it. So guys, do it while you can. Before they put your butt in ICU.
    Nope, I've never had any MA training. I was a street brawler for much of my youth and the wrestling served me very well back then. I knew all about ground and pound before it was ever on TV.

I talk about doing it but I can't find anywhere to go that is reasonable. With my crazy schedule I just can't find anything.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    oneshot...that made me laugh!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Seems to me there is a difference in what I do with my body, and what the government decides to do with it. I may be acting stupidly, but they are acting wickedly. Also, I don't believe that each of us will have to face an Abrams tank or whatever. They just don't have that many. Not even close. And YES the government is scared of me, since me is not just me, but us. 90 million plus of us. We are the nation. We make guys like Obama, Cuomo, et al, make brown marks in their shorts. We need to stop asking "what am I gonna do?" and just worry about doing whatever you can. If you do what you can, you've done your part. No one defines my part for me.
    oneshot likes this.

Aw, come on folks... You have time for the gym if you take time for the gym. It is dark when I leave for work every morning and dark when I get back home. I still manage to go to the gym 3 days a week. Of course, that is to pick up my wife after her workouts...
    l1a1 and OD* like this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

I am pleased to say I am 54 years young, 6' tall, and now an almost lean 189 pounds. I do cardio at least three days a week and oftentimes four days. In season I ride my bicycle, and whenever possible ditch a golf cart for 18 holes on foot. I am down from 208 last February. My cholesterol is great, my blood pressure is awesome, and I other than a mildly cranky left knee I feel great.

Watch what goes down your gullet and put some movement in your life.
    atctimmy likes this.

Administrator
    Sixto isn't breaking 40. If I cross that line, it'll be smashed. Other wise I am remaining forever 21. My gym stats prove it.
    atctimmy and JoJoGunn like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I work out. I do six bot... er, reps of 12 oz curls every night
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member

I understand about the work schedule. That's got to be tough. Since you've got a "ranch" keep in shape
    with a shovel and pick ax. Forget the gas mower or similar modern convenience. In the old days--- even long before
    me-- men really put the muscle into it. (Of course they died by 44).
    atctimmy likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links