Mental health and guns - Page 2

Mental health and guns

This is a discussion on Mental health and guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; DSM IV "Axis V: Axis V identifies the patient's level of function on a scale of 0-100, (100 is top-level functioning). Known as the Global ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Mental health and guns

VIP Member
    DSM IV

"Axis V:
    Axis V identifies the patient's level of function on a scale of 0-100, (100 is top-level functioning). Known as the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale, it attempts to quantify a patient's ability to function in daily life"

A new version DSM V will be out soon and radically revised.

Unfortunately, probably only this: "Axis V assessments" can point to the dangerous, and with little precision.

Axis V identifies the patient's level of function on a scale of 0-100, (100 is top-level functioning). Known as the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale, it attempts to quantify a patient's ability to function in daily life"

All of the recent mass shooters and the recent calamity where I live were done by
    people who were not functioning well on a global scale.

When you read about the recent mass killers it is very easy --in hindsight-- to see the connection
    between their lack of functional ability and their crime. But, there are plenty of people who don't function well in
    society who won't do what these nuts did. And conversely there are some who appear to function well
    and commit murder. We've also had a relatively recent example of that in our community.

Now, just because solving this part of the puzzle is difficult and seems impossible we should not just
    toss our hands in the air and decide we should not try.
    aus71383 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

First, I am extremely glad to see that the mental health issue is being addressed. It has gone without significant notice since the terrible episodes of murders by mentally unbalanced people became more and more consistent.

However, I dread the good intentions--regarding mental health--being hamstrung by bureaucratic ineptness and general lack of common sense. If we could reliably count upon effectiveness and common sense being applied to this issue, I would feel much better.

But, knowing that the above shortcomings are a necessary part of even beginning to address mental health issues, at least we may have a starting point from which we can improve and continue to improve until we are satisfied.

Even though the new DSM V is coming out soon - which may change the guidance/reporting criteria - any kind of stigma or consequence associated with seeking mental health care should be avoided. What is happening is the opposite. This is nothing but bad.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Even though the new DSM V is coming out soon - which may change the guidance/reporting criteria - any kind of stigma or consequence associated with seeking mental health care should be avoided. What is happening is the opposite. This is nothing but bad.

Austin
    Good point, but I don't know how we will navigate the two conflicting goals here: patient privacy and right to not be
    stigmatized v need to have a workable list of folks who are not together enough to be allowed to own guns.

If we can solve the first, maybe we can make the second one work.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ... a workable list of folks who are not together enough to be allowed to own guns.
    And then, there's the inevitable reality that such folks are still citizens, with every right to protect themselves. Up to the point where they actually harm others, at which point they're held accountable for it and/or removed from our midst (committed, jailed). But until then, it's hard to argue they don't have the right to do so simply because someone else says they don't.
    Hoganbeg, stanislaskasava and OD* like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Who decides which person is denied their right?

Here's the problem as I see it. It's NOT solvable because humans are unpredictable. We can study mental illness till we're blue in the face and never really be able to pinpoint who will go off and who won't. So, we're left with educated guesses. Well, so far no one has guessed right because mass killings still happen and will continue to happen no matter how many government panels we put into place.

IF the government sticks it's nose into patient confidentiality it will have the opposite intended effect. People will stop going to Psychiatrists, Psychologists, counselors etc. for fear of being labeled. There will be hundreds of thousands of people with some degree of mental illness that could have been helped, but now aren't because they won't go to a doctor.

It's the Law of Unintended Consequences once again.

We have to go about this a different way. I don't know exactly what that way is but "outing" people with mental issues, big or small, is not the way to go.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Maybe all this gun control and mental health screening talk is designed to raise our anxiety levels so that they can then diagnose us with mental health issues and take our guns away.

Seriously though, as much as I want to see truly dangerous people with serious mental health issues not be able to get their hands on guns, there is so much subjectivity involved that I feel like it won't be as effective as they would like to believe.

I also agree that people who might need some help with anxiety or depression may be less likely to seek that help now with fears of having their rights stripped. As someone who suffered bouts of depression throughout my teens and early twenties, I know that had I not sought help when I needed it, I may not be here today.

People in that state have enough trouble admiting when they need help and fear the stigma of a "mental illness" without this being thrown on top of it. I hate to say it but these policies could lead to an increase in suicides due to those that won't seek help for fear of having that "black mark" on their record.

Tough, tough issue.

Mental health and guns

We have had people with "mental issues" since the beginning of time. Most of them are good loving people! Because they have mental issues doesn't make them murderers and its sad that they are all being compared to the crazies that are committing these mass murders.

ITS THE BRUTAL MEDICINE THEY ARE BEING PRESCRIBED!!!

Use an EO to investigate the effects of these powerful medications that are being given to these people!!!
    mg27 likes this.

My wife has claimed that being married to me is cause for mental health issues - will that count?
    mano3 likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Agreed we've always had some of these people around but I think the problems are deeper than that. Today we live in a world where we are beset with an incredibly fast pace of life and are inundated with a vast amount of information to filter and assess. Not just locally but global issues as well. It seems the number of decisions we need to correctly make grows daily. I think this increased stress is part of the problem and I can only see it getting worse. I wish I knew how to fix it. I don't believe our government does either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    ADD...
    Anxiety... (somehow looked over the fact you had that one, lol)

Yeah, this could be a big list.
    Lotus22 we aren’t getting anxious are we..... Why don't you lie down right here on the couch and tell me how that makes you feel hmm….

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    My wife has claimed that being married to me is cause for mental health issues - will that count?
    Nahhh insanity is hereditary; we get it from our kids
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Who decides which person is denied their right?

Here's the problem as I see it. It's NOT solvable because humans are unpredictable. We can study mental illness till we're blue in the face and never really be able to pinpoint who will go off and who won't. So, we're left with educated guesses. Well, so far no one has guessed right because mass killings still happen and will continue to happen no matter how many government panels we put into place.

IF the government sticks it's nose into patient confidentiality it will have the opposite intended effect. People will stop going to Psychiatrists, Psychologists, counselors etc. for fear of being labeled. There will be hundreds of thousands of people with some degree of mental illness that could have been helped, but now aren't because they won't go to a doctor.

It's the Law of Unintended Consequences once again.

We have to go about this a different way. I don't know exactly what that way is but "outing" people with mental issues, big or small, is not the way to go.
    I wonder if the consequences are really unintended.
    mg27 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    We have had people with "mental issues" since the beginning of time. Most of them are good loving people! Because they have mental issues doesn't make them murderers and its sad that they are all being compared to the crazies that are committing these mass murders.

ITS THE BRUTAL MEDICINE THEY ARE BEING PRESCRIBED!!!

Use an EO to investigate the effects of these powerful medications that are being given to these people!!!
    Here is more information on killers on drugs. His last facebook post is in the article. Scary.

Prominent rifle manufacturer killed in mysterious car crash days after posting psych drug link to school shooters

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

When I was a kid, (many years ago), if you acted up at school they gave you a taste of the paddle on your backside. Now you get drugs. It may not be that these mass killers are evil, they may be so wacked out on prescription drugs that reality has no meaning.
    aus71383 likes this.

Better yet, define "normal"......
    aus71383 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links