Mental health and guns - Page 3

Mental health and guns

This is a discussion on Mental health and guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are times when our society removes an individual's rights (prison, etc.) for legitimate reasons. I think that removal of rights should be in tandem ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Mental health and guns

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    There are times when our society removes an individual's rights (prison, etc.) for legitimate reasons. I think that removal of rights should be in tandem with removal from society. If we find someone who should not have weapons, then logically they should not be among us. Why? Because a rock is a weapon, as is a stick or a rope or gasoline or a fork or anything.

We can't have our cake and eat it too by removing a dangerous individuals rights but letting that danger remain among us. Either they're a threat to themselves or others and should go away... Or they deserve their precious freedom, the same as everyone else.

Rights are not something to be wishy-washy about. Removing someone's right to self defense practically demands that you protect that individual 24/7.
    blanco64 and aus71383 like this.

VIP Member
    I think 90% of the US population is suffering from depression. The other 10% don't watch the news.
    Hopyard, aus71383 and Betty like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    There's going to be a big "unintended consequences" storm with the mental health background checks.

What will be considered mental health?
    Depression?
    PTSD?
    Anxiety?
    Sleep Disorders?
    etc?

Will doctors and counselors be required to report their patients to a database? Will that make the person ineligible to own or buy a gun? Who's going to decide if that person should own a gun?

Will the doctors be held responsible if one of their patients acts out and they didn't report them prior to the incident? The counselor that saw one of the recent shooters is now being sued by a family member.

EMR's -electronic medical records (part of Obamacare) are required now by ALL doctors and hospitals. It will be so easy to keep tabs on people and their personal medical issues.

People who need mental health counseling may decide it's not worth giving up their 2nd Ammendment rights and just go it on their own.

So much bad coming our way.
    You've hit the nail on the head. Just wait until Obamacare bureaucrats start making arbitrary decisions like this. It's so easy to see where just about anyone that the tyrants don't like will be considered "mentally unbalanced" and denied their 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    When I was a kid, (many years ago), if you acted up at school they gave you a taste of the paddle on your backside.
    That's how it was when I was growing up, ti be sure. Now and then, a more-inventive form would involve role-play (with the agreement of the parents), particularly in ugly situations. It was dealt with, harshly and directly, with no doubt among anyone as to why it was being done. And that 5-lb 2-ft paddle left an impression. Nobody wanted to go there, again, after the first taste. (Watched more than a few idiots get shuttled into the VP's office for some proper handling, only to walk gingerly down the hall afterward. Never had much trouble with such folks, afterward.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Can lead poisoning affect mental health?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Can lead poisoning affect mental health?
    Acute lead poisoning might "cure" a mental illness. It certainly would have in Aurora and Newtown.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    Acute lead poisoning might "cure" a mental illness. It certainly would have in Aurora and Newtown.
    And many people would've been sleeping better (and alive) knowing they were "cured" of what ailed them.

Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I agree with the sentiment that if you are deemed by society to be a danger serious enough to have your God-given right to self-defense removed from you, that you should be removed from society.

Instead of focusing on firearms, perhaps we should focus more on the penal system. I think a reformation would do more good and less harm than nullifying natural rights of innocents.
    blanco64 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

There's going to be a big "unintended consequences" storm with the mental health background checks.

What will be considered mental health?
    Depression?
    PTSD?
    Anxiety?
    Sleep Disorders?
    etc?

Will doctors and counselors be required to report their patients to a database? Will that make the person ineligible to own or buy a gun? Who's going to decide if that person should own a gun?

Will the doctors be held responsible if one of their patients acts out and they didn't report them prior to the incident? The counselor that saw one of the recent shooters is now being sued by a family member.

EMR's -electronic medical records (part of Obamacare) are required now by ALL doctors and hospitals. It will be so easy to keep tabs on people and their personal medical issues.

People who need mental health counseling may decide it's not worth giving up their 2nd Ammendment rights and just go it on their own.

So much bad coming our way.
    New form at the doc office wait window... If you checked YES to Having Firearms in the home you are diagnosed with Future Gun Violence Disease. Please deposit your firearms in the box to the right or hold out your arms for your shiny new bracelets.
    Jeanlouise and aus71383 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It seems to me that there're two things that are really necessary, then: proper diagnosis and proper treatment options. The way I figure, if I am willing to deny rights to people who're suffering from mental illness OR if I was legitimately concerned about people with mental illness getting guns (even if I do not want to support denying their rights), then I should be helping fund solutions
    There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

VIP Member
    The problem with the term "mental illness" is that it gives the impression that violence can be assumed. It can't. Just because someone is mentally ill doesn't mean they have violent tendencies.
    Hopyard and aus71383 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    The problem with the term "mental illness" is that it gives the impression that violence can be assumed. It can't. Just because someone is mentally ill doesn't mean they have violent tendencies.
    Well put, spot on, and thank you for posting that.
    Jeanlouise and aus71383 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Then there are "mental illnesses" (not contagious folks, don't worry) that aren't illnesses at all - they are adaptations to the environment. It's nice that there is such a thing as "mental health care" in our society at all - but I think it would be nicer if it weren't necessary in the first place.

Austin

This is very true, after all with 5 kids if I were not a little crazy I would have gone insane a long time ago.

In all seriousness mentaly unstable (which can still be temporary) and mental illness are two very different things.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    It could very well backfire, as folks may not seek help if they're afraid they'll lose their right to a firearm.
    this has been my primary concern as well.
    mano3 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links