Mental health and guns

Mental health and guns

This is a discussion on Mental health and guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There's going to be a big "unintended consequences" storm with the mental health background checks. What will be considered mental health? Depression? PTSD? Anxiety? Sleep ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Mental health and guns

VIP Member

Mental health and guns

There's going to be a big "unintended consequences" storm with the mental health background checks.

What will be considered mental health?
    Depression?
    PTSD?
    Anxiety?
    Sleep Disorders?
    etc?

Will doctors and counselors be required to report their patients to a database? Will that make the person ineligible to own or buy a gun? Who's going to decide if that person should own a gun?

Will the doctors be held responsible if one of their patients acts out and they didn't report them prior to the incident? The counselor that saw one of the recent shooters is now being sued by a family member.

EMR's -electronic medical records (part of Obamacare) are required now by ALL doctors and hospitals. It will be so easy to keep tabs on people and their personal medical issues.

People who need mental health counseling may decide it's not worth giving up their 2nd Ammendment rights and just go it on their own.

So much bad coming our way.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yes! On the surface it sounds like a good idea but there is too much room for abuse. Think of all the elements involved; doctors, nurses and other staff, insurance companies, and of course, the patients. Oh, and don't forget the Government is involved. I'm sure there are more. Increased health ins. costs for gun owners? Yikes!
    Jeanlouise and mano3 like this.

It's a bad road to go down - the government has no business in health care, or "regulating" rights.

Austin

For some reason, every time I try to purchase a gun, they take one look at me and exercise their right to refuse me. I don't know why? My Mom says not to let them bother me cause she still loves me
    pfries likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Where do HIPAA laws stand regarding this?
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

I am here to tell ya that you will not see service members seeking help if they even have an inkling that they might lose thier guns. Don't have to be true but that is the way they will think. The only reason we saw shrinks was because our unit had them and had to see them LOL
    TX expat, aus71383, mano3 and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    My question is what happens if your mental ability is questioned upon " registration" and they decide that you cant have guns,and you already have them,who is going to take them and how much are they paying for them. None of my guns are free

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    ADD...
    Anxiety... (somehow looked over the fact you had that one, lol)

Yeah, this could be a big list.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The slippery slope. What separates crazy from dangerous? What are the guidelines for making that call?
    mano3 and aus71383 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The slippery slope. What separates crazy from dangerous? What are the guidelines for making that call?
    Not to worry. I'm sure that a panel that includes Obama, Feinstein, Bloomberg, Holder and Biden will come up with a very reasonable set of guidelines Just like they push "common sense" gun control.
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    Mr. Obama said he was going to send a letter to health care providers telling them what federal law does and does not require and telling them that they can ask any questions they want about guns. My wife is a part of a growing group of physicians that are planning on bundling the letters and returning them, unopened. They will send their own letter asking where Mr. Obama attended medical school. If he did not attend medical school and complete a residency what makes him believe he is qualified to give advice regarding any health care situation to those that have. Should be interesting to see what, if any, response they get.
    OD* likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Mr. Obama said he was going to send a letter to health care providers telling them what federal law does and does not require and telling them that they can ask any questions they want about guns. My wife is a part of a growing group of physicians that are planning on bundling the letters and returning them, unopened. They will send their own letter asking where Mr. Obama attended medical school. If he did not attend medical school and complete a residency what makes him believe he is qualified to give advice regarding any health care situation to those that have. Should be interesting to see what, if any, response they get.
    I'm sure he won't respond at all because truthfully, he doesn't give a hoot what Americans want. He wants what HE wants and he's determined to get it. If he has to do it all by Executive Order...then so be it. Who's going to stop him? So far he's gotten just about everything he's wanted and we have 4 long years to go.

As far as HIPAA laws...he plans to exempt doctors and Counselors from them when reporting mental illness. Who they'll be reporting to remains to be seen.
    StevePVB likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

It could very well backfire, as folks may not seek help if they're afraid they'll lose their right to a firearm.
    aus71383 and DaveCO like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You see, already just the notion is making us anxious.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ODCaloney View Post
    Where do HIPAA laws stand regarding this?
    I could tell you, but you'd have to submit your request in triplicate ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links