Criteria for where to move

This is a discussion on Criteria for where to move within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (keep in mind my husband doesn't carry, he's not anti gun - he has a couple - they just stay very comfortable in the safe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Criteria for where to move

Criteria for where to move

(keep in mind my husband doesn't carry, he's not anti gun - he has a couple - they just stay very comfortable in the safe unless he's going to the range. I, on the other hand, always carry...)

So my husband's company has tried to offer him positions in different states over the last couple years.

California has come up several times and my response is always "No! Their gun laws are awful! It's too far from family. Their gun laws are awful! The cost of living is bad! Their gun laws are awful!"

NY also came up - pretty much the same response... (plus you do know it snows there...)

Now his company will soon be selling their properties in central FL. So if he stays with the company we will HAVE to move. He's been paying more attention to positions coming available within the company as well as looking at other companies. We want to stay here, but that may not be an option. So anyway, he interviewed with a company yesterday that today expressed a lot of interest in him - but the position is in GA. Also today, he heard of a probable opening within his company, but at their home base...in Chicago... So he comes home today and starts talking to me about those two possibilities. My response was...

"GA gun laws I'm OK with.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT CHICAGO'S GUN LAWS ARE LIKE?!"

Lol - he's not completely amused with my line of thinking...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally, and I'm not joking at all, I'd find another job before I'd move to Chicago, NY or California.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I've actually already said I WILL NOT move to any of those 3 places... I did ask if he can't find anything here could he please find something in TX? :D
    TX expat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Kentucky would be ok too. Brady Score of 2.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 17th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

that really sucks! i live in southern oregon and i love it here. i have 3 shooting spots in the mountains that i can go to one is 15 miles from home, 2nd is about 25 and third is about 35 miles from home. and all are great spots i carry my gun all the time in my vehicle and don't have my ccl yet but oregon is a really gun friendly state. if ur husband gets a job offer for oregon jump on it!

1 State comes to mind, MONTANA! Plenty of space, Brady Score of 2. Even has a law that states guns manufactured in Montana, and stay's in Montana do not fall under laws. That was signed by a DEMOCRATIC governor.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    (keep in mind my husband doesn't carry, he's not anti gun - he has a couple - they just stay very comfortable in the safe unless he's going to the range. I, on the other hand, always carry...)

So my husband's company has tried to offer him positions in different states over the last couple years.

California has come up several times and my response is always "No! Their gun laws are awful! It's too far from family. Their gun laws are awful! The cost of living is bad! Their gun laws are awful!"

NY also came up - pretty much the same response... (plus you do know it snows there...)

Now his company will soon be selling their properties in central FL. So if he stays with the company we will HAVE to move. He's been paying more attention to positions coming available within the company as well as looking at other companies. We want to stay here, but that may not be an option. So anyway, he interviewed with a company yesterday that today expressed a lot of interest in him - but the position is in GA. Also today, he heard of a probable opening within his company, but at their home base...in Chicago... So he comes home today and starts talking to me about those two possibilities. My response was...

"GA gun laws I'm OK with.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT CHICAGO'S GUN LAWS ARE LIKE?!"

Lol - he's not completely amused with my line of thinking...
    Here's the way I look at it, and I'm sure that my comments will draw opposing views. Your chances of ever being involved in an incident that calls for the use of firearms is slim, mighty slim, indeed. Your chances of making a decision that could impact your finances for the rest of your life are huge. Only you can decide what is best for you.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I'm currently in the process of selling most of my larger stuff (desks, etc.) so I can move to Arizona. My criteria are: Good gun laws, mountains and warm weather. Arizona has all 3, and I have friends/family there, so it's where I decided I'm moving.
    akav8er and RichB70 like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I can second Oregon, but it seems you really can't go wrong with TX, MT, or AZ.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Go purchase a copy of the Places Rated Almanac. That can help you decide too. David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated It's a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Go purchase a copy of the Places Rated Almanac. That can help you decide too. David Savageau's Places Rated Home Page | Places Rated It's a great resource.
    New York and New Jersey, Chicago, and DC are a few of the top rated places... yikes!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

he has a couple - they just stay very comfortable in the safe unless he's going to the range. ...)..
    nugh said

I jsut saw what ur talkign about and to think that almost everyone of these staes on this list has the strictest gun laws in the nation. no wonder they're the suposed top cities to live in. oh but that's right they have the highest crime rate also I'm betting between any other city/state they might even talk about too.

I've actually already said I WILL NOT move to any of those 3 places... I did ask if he can't find anything here could he please find something in TX? :D
    Yes, TX, ID, OK, MT, WY, MO, KY, and AK (lived there for 7 yrs...it's just sooooooo far away)

For some additional 'at your finger tips' info, get the App "Legal Heat" for an i-Phone.
    It's pretty useful and updates each state as you download any info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New York and New Jersey, Chicago, and DC are a few of the top rated places... yikes!
    Use of the book requires understanding the criteria they use, and adjusting accordingly. SF was tops for some years, even when housing was unaffordable but for trust fund babies.

It's all in the details.

What it does do is provide a huge wealth of info in a concise format comparable across all of the places rated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links