Just saw Flag's of Our Fathers

This is a discussion on Just saw Flag's of Our Fathers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nn The SgtMaj from my first FMF squadron lives down the street, he won't go see the flick because " he lived ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just saw Flag's of Our Fathers

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    The SgtMaj from my first FMF squadron lives down the street, he won't go see the flick because " he lived it"
    Don't blame him. When they showed a preview of another movie about us in Iraq I almost had to get up and leave. Wasn't easy watching the Flags of our Fathers movie but the other (preview) was just too personal...
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

My father was there

As I've said before,my father was just 50 yards down that hill where that flag was planted.I am so proud of him just knowing what he and all the others went through tp put that flag there.He never talked about it,just said he was there and let it go at that.but I've seen some of the pictures he had in a marine corps photo album.sj

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Have not seen the movie but I give the book five stars!!!!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Side note: The first television ad I saw for this movie had text that said something about more "Congressional Medals of Honor" were bestowed to veterans of WWII than all other wars, or something.

It struck me that in a movie that touts its accuracy, the marketing end of it was inaccurate: for a long time I did not know that there is no such thing as a "Congressional Medal of Honor"; then I found out that it's just "Medal of Honor."

Hmm... I hate it when simple mistakes make me have to call into question anything else that comes from a particular source...

Caught the flick tonight.

Made me realize what the WWII Generation went through and the price they paid for our freedoms. They truly sacrificed in the greatest sense of the world.

Those who fought and served during WWII are truly HEROES and those who've come behind them have much to be thankful for and much to live up to.

I could praise ALL of our Vets all night!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Saw the movie with my daughter, wasn't really what I expected, it was really kind of sad. They were definitely different times back then.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Yeah, I know it was pretty sad. It kind of bugged me how fdr and the government used the guys, but it made me think because there isn't much I wouldn't do to fight the monsters we are facing now, so it was a good check on myself from that aspect.

The more I have reflected on the movie, why I liked the movie was because mainly because of the hole an alky left after he killed my dad and every movie that has a father/son aspect to it always hits that weak spot of missing my dad. (And I had some pretty insensitve things occur from people that didn't get it either

I thought it was pretty interesting telling the story from the son's hunt on who his dad was (again for the same weakspot I have).

Then the aspect how much ALL those who have put on an uniform to protect this nation from the wolf at the door. After being reminded of what they have done I have found myself calling my grandpa to thank him for what he did. I know war isn't glorious, other than the fact the men and women do things that the average person couldn't do, which is more honorable than anything else.

Anyway I still think it is a must see, even if it's not a cheery movie, if for no other reason but the lack of history being taught in schools today.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Baby Hulk;219679]Caught the flick tonight.

Made me realize what the WWII Generation went through and the price they paid for our freedoms. They truly sacrificed in the greatest sense of the world.

Those who fought and served during WWII are truly HEROES and those who've come behind them have much to be thankful for and much to live up to. QUOTE]

While I don't claim to have had it easy in Iraq - Those guys (WW1, 2, Korea and others) didn't have satelite phones, Internet email or many of what we take forgranted....
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator
    Much needed Appreciation To All Brave Souls Who Served In War II -
    Ditto: The Above comments.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links