Interesting Event In Class Today

Interesting Event In Class Today

This is a discussion on Interesting Event In Class Today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today in my Competing with Information Technology class, a 300 level business course, I made an interesting observation about some people. It started when my ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By TheConcealer
  • 4 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By TheConcealer
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By KBSR
  • 4 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By sparkykb

Thread: Interesting Event In Class Today

Thumbs down Interesting Event In Class Today

Today in my Competing with Information Technology class, a 300 level business course, I made an interesting observation about some people.

It started when my Professor began to make an analogy, using assault rifles. She incorrectly stated that, "...assault rifles have certain features that make them more dangerous than other commonly owned weapons and handguns." Now to be honest I was half asleep before she said this, but as soon as I heard it I woke right up. She was not intending to start a conversation on gun control, but then a young man about my age sitting to my rear piped up and said something to the effect of, "I don't understand why anyone needs to own one of these assault weapons."

At this point I spoke up and basically shut the conversation down, saying, "Actually it is a very common misconception that assault rifles have any particular features that make them more dangerous than any other kind of rifle used for self-defense or hunting. The Ruger Mini-14 which is never portrayed as a assault rifle and is used every day for hunting, self-defense, and sport fires the exact same round as a so called assault rifle and is identical in operation, both are semi-automatics, they simply look different."

Now I said that all relatively quickly as I was upset about the way both the professor had incorrectly began the conversation and the immediate baseless opinion given by my classmate. The professor then said she didn't want to go into the subject because it is too hotly debated of a topic right now, and moved on.

This isn't what surprised me though, I expect this. I go to a very liberal college in quite possibly one of the most liberal cities in the United States. What surprised me was the ability of my classmates to make the distinction between the PERSON being the problem or cause of a crime, and not the INANIMATE OBJECT. They lack the ability to connect that line of thinking to firearms, and for the life of me I cannot understand why other than that they have a purely emotional feeling towards it, and have been grossly misinformed.

Regardless, I was disappointed.
    Alex_C, mano3, DannyB1954 and 2 others like this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    Them and another 100 million or so others who share their same irrational view.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    They are programed to think that way because it's all they ever hear and quite frankly, all they want to hear. Emotional reaction vs critical thinking.

Good for you for speaking up though!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Good for you for speaking up. Yuo never know, but you might have planted the seed of doubt in someone elses mind.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Good for you for speaking up. Yuo never know, but you might have planted the seed of doubt in someone elses mind.
    And right there, you have MY agenda.
    oakchas likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Nice speak out.

You just got yourself a "D" in this I.T. 300 class...Mr. Smarty pants.
    mano3 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Stand your ground, and speak out when you can. Logical and reasonable arguments may sway a couple of people, and that's a win. Good for you.
    oakchas likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Methinks you'd better plan on retaking the class next semester.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like typical leftist behavior. "I'll bring up a controversial subject and put forth my uninformed opinion but as soon as someone challenges it with rational dialogue it's not a suitable topic for conversation any more."

You see it every day on CNN.

Good for you for setting the record straight.
    mano3, phreddy, StevePVB and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Your classmates just simply don't know. And instead of educating themselves about the subject,(would require some effort) they just parrot the liberal talking points that are being shoved down their throats in these government indoctronation centers. That's why these skulls full of mush are so easy to mislead and why the progressives go after the youth. They are content to let someone else think and speak for them. Good little robots.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

@TheConcealer. Please change you avatar.
    For the second time tonight I almost took my baton and smashed my screen.
    TheConcealer likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

You did better than me.

A couple of years back while I was still in college I had a similar incident happen. Some snively little hipster in the front row piped up with some comments about it being ridiculous that people are able to own guns in the United States because "they kill so many innocent people." This came after he made some remark about Canada having the health system figured out. Anyways, I couldn't take it anymore. Right in the middle of class and in front of everybody I blurted out "Guns don't kill people, they are inanimate objects. Guns are a part of America and some of us like it the way it is. If you like other countries so much then why don't you quit trying to ruin MINE and get the heck out!"

Needless to say just about everyone in the entire class turned around to see exactly where in the back of the class that came from. I didn't get in trouble, but I'm sure I completely lived up to peoples expectations that veterans are "dangerous crazy people"....lol. Oh well.

I also argued with an openly gay teacher about potential problems stemming from gays openly serving in the military....but that's a different story.....
    Last edited by rstickle; January 18th, 2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: cleaned up some language
    FreeFalling likes this.

Hitler used fear of the boogy man in 1933 to take away rights from the German population. He then went after anyone with a brain and made an example of them or eliminated them. Google " Nazi Terror Begins " if you would like to read a one page history of it.

Get people scared enough and they will do anything you say without question. You offer them a simple minded solution, and they will take it hook line and sinker.

Links