Over 100 kids die from flu every year... Why is this not a priority

This is a discussion on Over 100 kids die from flu every year... Why is this not a priority within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I was reading about the deaths of children caused by flue every year and I started to wonder why this is not a priority ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Over 100 kids die from flu every year... Why is this not a priority

So I was reading about the deaths of children caused by flue every year and I started to wonder why this is not a priority for the country... This is a much bigger threat to our children and it is not as publized or funded as it should be!
    Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I dont know about all that. Seems like it actually is a pretty big priority
    Hopyard likes this.

Is this an attempt at humor or are you being serious?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    So I was reading about the deaths of children caused by flue every year and I started to wonder why this is not a priority for the country... This is a much bigger threat to our children and it is not as publized or funded as it should be!
    It is a priority. We make certain that vaccine is manufactured, that it is available, that there are reasonably adequate supplies of the two anti-viral agents which help (sometimes).

It is the irresponsible who neglect or refuse to get the vaccine who enable these deaths. Don't blame government,
    look in the mirror if that is you.

No epidemic can occur once a significant portion of the population is protected. And we have
    made adequate preparations in this country to accomplish that.

Here's an area where the tin foil crowd prove to be a real danger to all of us. They won't get the vaccine because
    it is "a conspiracy" and then they infect everyone else about them, including the folks who have received the vaccine
    but have for a variety of reasons not developed solid immunity.

To keep it gun related, or board related, even if the accusation were true with regard to misplaced priorities, that doesn't mean
    we as a nation should turn 100% of our attention to fighting the flu and give no attention to dealing with gun crime. Our country is able to multi-task.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

They sell plenty of flu shots each year and we still have epidemics. I haven't had the flu in over 18 years. I haven't had the flu shot in 18 years.

Its called public health - ever see the funding for provided for public health? I think it is second to national defense, but not by much.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    When is the last time you saw the news? It is on every night about the flu and getting flu shots. I guess I am missing your point as well as others.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    They sell plenty of flu shots each year and we still have epidemics. I haven't had the flu in over 18 years. I haven't had the flu shot in 18 years.
    It's people like you and thinking like that which contributes to the problem. Here is some reading for you: Herd immunity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Define kids. The Brady Bunch defines it as anyone under 25.

However many people are dying from the flu, its a lot less than 20,50,100 years ago. It's never not been a priority in medical research.

100 children die from flues annually, eh? Never new those suckers were so dangerous. What, did they try to look up the chimneys and get stuck?

Have had a flu shot once previously. Not lately, and not this year. Knock on wood, but I haven't had legitimate influenza for several decades now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Over 100 kids die from flue every year... Why is this not a priority

There is work being done, but I don't think it is a priority in their agenda

Edit: my point is, the government should be paying more attention to more critical issues but instead they are on politically directed activity
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Is this an attempt at humor or are you being serious?
    100 deaths the subject of humor? Whatever gave you that idea?

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is a priority. We make certain that vaccine is manufactured, that it is available, that there are reasonably adequate supplies of the two anti-viral agents which help (sometimes).

It is the irresponsible who neglect or refuse to get the vaccine who enable these deaths. Don't blame government,
    look in the mirror if that is you.

No epidemic can occur once a significant portion of the population is protected. And we have
    made adequate preparations in this country to accomplish that.

Here's an area where the tin foil crowd prove to be a real danger to all of us. They won't get the vaccine because
    it is "a conspiracy" and then they infect everyone else about them, including the folks who have received the vaccine
    but have for a variety of reasons not developed solid immunity.

To keep it gun related, or board related, even if the accusation were true with regard to misplaced priorities, that doesn't mean
    we as a nation should turn 100% of our attention to fighting the flu and give no attention to dealing with gun crime. Our country is able to multi-task.
    I don't mean the government should turn 100% to flu. But I think you already know that..

-James Earl Jones

no one in my family, or anyone we have ever known has ever had a bird flu, llama flu or whatever new "PANDEMIC" we "have" every year. i think it's all b.s. to take your mind off of what is really going on. i'm not saying that the flu doesn't exist, i just had some sniffles and a lot of coughing and phlegm. but i got over it because my immune system hasn't been destroyed with "vaccines".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links