Another WWII unsung hero gone

This is a discussion on Another WWII unsung hero gone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; RIP Jake McNiece James “Jake” McNiece led a World War II group hours before the June 6, 1944, invasion to destroy bridges to prevent German ...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 5 Post By archer51
  • 4 Post By oneshot
  • 6 Post By DwFall
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Another WWII unsung hero gone

VIP Member

RIP Jake McNiece

James “Jake” McNiece led a World War II group hours before the June 6, 1944, invasion to destroy bridges to prevent German reinforcements from moving into Normandy.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at 'Dirty Dozen' hero from Oklahoma has died | Tulsa World
    Exacto, Rcher, Jeanlouise and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Not saying the war veterans from recent wars(20yrs. or so) aren't special but,......

There is something about the WW's that inspired this country, and had men in their 30's, and boys, barely old enough to drive a car in some instances, lining up to go and fight for a free world, that brings a tear to your eye.

They wern't drafted, they were not unable to find a job for the most part, they were not looking to make a career out of the military, they just felt like they needed to do their part.
    May their souls rest in peace.
    Snub44, ctr, Jeanlouise and 1 others like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My father was in the first rangers during WW2. He turns 89 this friday. We owe a great deal to him and all veterans for the life and freedoms we take for granted today. I know he wonders how the country has gotten to where we are today. He's proud to say he has never taken a handout from the government.
    Happy Birthday Dad. And may you have many more.

VIP Member
    My great uncle died in Holland fighting for our way of life. He was a member of the 82nd Airborne. We owe a debt that can never be repaid and they would not ask for it to be paid either. They truly were a great generation of Americans.
    oneshot likes this.

As a class of remarkable people, the "Greatest Generation" and in particular the WWII veterans deserve our utmost respect and admiration.

I grew up listening to WWII stories from ground pounders and aviators, ETO and PTO, and never grew tired of them. So many of these vets have passed, and I consider myself a lucky guy to have met and listened to so many. In my most humble way, I salute them.
    oneshot likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Sad, we are losing them fast right now. Just went to a museum to see the Code Talker exhibit and they claim there is only 1 Navajo code talker remaining, lost the second last one in Dec 12.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

It will just be a matter of a few years and all our WW II vets will be gone. They were I think as it has been said, the "greatest" generation.

Their war was somewhat different, we had been attacked by another country and that outraged so many of these men that it was no surprise they volunteered to go.

My dad's side of the family had several who were soldiers during that time, one cousin was actually at Pearl Harbour during the attack. He was at Hickam Field.

My mom's uncle just died and he was in the US Army during the war. He never spoke much if anything about it.

May all our soldiers fallen in battle and those who go on to eventually pass on find the rest and peace they deserve.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    One of the greatest men I ever knew(my grandfather) whom died in 08 was a Lt Col in the Air Force and flew many mission(bombing) in WW2. He is sorely missed. Rip Gramps, miss you everyday

My uncle John is 89 and participated in the Normandy invasion just after "D" day. They were a different breed. Didn't talk about themselves much, and didn't seek glory or fame. Humble men with great inner strength and a highly moral character. When I was a kid nearly all the men I knew were veterans of WWII and/or Korea. I can remember pretty clearly back to the late 40's. I remember a plane flying low over our house and my Uncle John diving under the table. Man he could move quick. He was a boxer and had about 160 fights. He used to do 1 handed pushups on his finger tips and to this day you don't want him to hit you. Many of the men back then were boxers and a few in my family were pretty good. My uncle John and uncle Allen both fought pro and semi pro. Different times, different attitudes. We have NOT gotten better, but have slid downhill very far.

My best friend's father passed last month. WWII Army Major, Ranger, on Gen. George Patton's staff, who's primary responsibility was to establish HQ & billets wherever "Ol' Blood & Guts" decided to pause the fight & spend the night. My dad, gone 10 years now, was a B-24 crewman who upped for two tours of combat air-missions over Europe. They came back & went to work building a nation (for you & me) that became the envy of the world. If more folks clearly understood (and appreciated) the sacrifice quietly paid by honorable men (and women) when the world was in complete & utter, dark chaos...maybe more would find a way to move their own candy-assed egos farther down their priority list. Bless 'em all!
    JoJoGunn, ctr and oneshot like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Not saying the war veterans from recent wars(20yrs. or so) aren't special but,......

There is something about the WW's that inspired this country, and had men in their 30's, and boys, barely old enough to drive a car in some instances, lining up to go and fight for a free world, that brings a tear to your eye.

They wern't drafted, they were not unable to find a job for the most part, they were not looking to make a career out of the military, they just felt like they needed to do their part.
    May their souls rest in peace.
    There was a draft in WWII, many were unemployed following the Great Depression, and traditionally the majority of those entering the service are not seeking a career, only wanting to do their duty. But they are our greatest generation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There was a draft in WWII, many were unemployed following the Great Depression, and traditionally the majority of those entering the service are not seeking a career, only wanting to do their duty. But they are our greatest generation.

^I stand corrected^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks OldVet!

WWII Draft Registration Records - Search Draft Cards from World War Two

Well, that was my one thing I learned today.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links