Home Alarms - Anyone have suggestions? - Page 2

Home Alarms - Anyone have suggestions?

This is a discussion on Home Alarms - Anyone have suggestions? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are motion actvated cameras that can send a picture to your cell phone - just depends on what you need. But, a camera is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Home Alarms - Anyone have suggestions?

There are motion actvated cameras that can send a picture to your cell phone - just depends on what you need. But, a camera is criminals worst fear.

VIP Member
    Our house is about 2300 sf. We have a local company and pay $350/year. We have door and window sensors and glass break alarms on both sliding glass doors. We don't have any cameras, although I wish we did.
    One feature I really like is the "door chime"; meaning any time a door or window opens a loud chime can be heard. No sneaking in or out around here.
    The system is hardwired and has smoke detectors too.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I'll go start prepping cases right now. Just let me know what calibers I need to start loading up!
    9mm
    .45 ACP
    .357 mag
    5.56 NATO
    .300 win
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Our house is about 2300 sf. We have a local company and pay $350/year. We have door and window sensors and glass break alarms on both sliding glass doors. We don't have any cameras, although I wish we did.
    One feature I really like is the "door chime"; meaning any time a door or window opens a loud chime can be heard. No sneaking in or out around here.
    The system is hardwired and has smoke detectors too.
    If you put in a system, this is a great time to install wired smoke detectors, CO detectors and rate of rise heat detectors.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I got my system, the tech said a dog wouldn't set off the motion detector. It wouldn't. In hindsight, I wish I'd installed more motion detectors and skipped the window sensors. I also wish it connected to a wireless phone.

One thing I can tell you--it is loud! Ear piercing, shrieking loud. I set in off one day, punched in the code to shut it off, and ADT called a moment later with a message saying they'd detected it going off, but since it had been turned off with the correct code the PD was not being called. They also sent a letter telling me they'd detected a dead battery, but the power had been off for 4 days due to the hurricanes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have a wireless alarm system. I would suggest you avoid ADT. many, many bad stories about response times, ir they respond at all to alarms.
    Other companies like Brinks and Wells Fargo are much better.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The house we bought already had a system but we upgraded it to wireless and as mentioned, we have signs and stickers everywhere letting the scum know there are easier targets. We disabled the interior siren for the reason mention in this thread earlier. I want to hear as much as possible if an intruder is in my house. Our daughter was in for T'giving 3 yrs. ago and opened a door on accident. The monitoring Co. called almost instantly and we gave them our password and all. 2-3 minutes later there was a police officer ringing our doorbell. I think that is awesome reaction time. We need as much protection as possible for ourselves and our weapons/ammo. Gun theft is on the rise big time around here because of the obvious. Get an alarm if you do not have one. It also helps with the homeowners insurance rates.

If you live in a rural place, where police response times are long, alarms do nothing. They are in and out in minutes. If you have good response times, it can be worth getting. I have an ADT system that ran about $3000. All doors and windows bugged, cell back up, smoke detectors, heat detectors, 2 touch pads, remote key fobs. If I moved, I would still have a system installed but not spend that much again. Every door would get a sensors, smoke detectors, and a motion. Thats it. I also dropped their very expensive monthly monitoring when the contract ended and just hope the siren will scare the bad guys off. There is always someone home so we mostly set it at night anyway. Not worried about the lack of monitoring either. It takes 20 mins for the county police to arrive, if at all. If there was a home invasion, the key pad would not be my first destination.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    I think the alarm (more like a siren) going off does have a deterrent. It tells the BG that he's been found out, the police will be on their way and the homeowner knows someone is in the house.
    I think that's enough for most robbers to take off.

On our keypad it scrolls across the front of the pad which entrypoint has been breeched. We have 3 keypads and one is in the upstairs hallway just outside the bedroom door.

A real professional can probably find a way around any system, dog, booby trap or whatever; but around here it's mostly 2 bit punks looking for a gun, tv, jewelry etc. to buy drugs with. Alarms scare them.

I have several friends who replaced their ADT systems with someone else.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

In addition to any alarm or camera system you need something that alerts you to movement outside your home, around the property in real time before anyone even begins to kick in a door. Go to Ebay and search Voice Alert System 6, and you can record your own sounds for up to 6 channels. I have these sensors, which last about a year on a single 9V battery, surround my home in hidden or strategic locations. Even my dog has learned which side of the house to go inspect when she hears a specific tone. In my case I chose mellow piano sounds that are pleasant to the ear in the case of wind and storms that trigger some false alarms. If someone pulls into my driveway or steps anywhere on my front or back porch areas they also alert me. Camera systems get grainy useless video, alarm services are almost useless and have a delay on them, so the bad guy may be standing over your bed when you wake up. Cops and 911 arrive to mop up your family. Dogs miss some noises and could at times be fast asleep. I also want to bring one of these with me and my travel trailer to be alerted when someone is walking around my truck or camper. I also want to install some night-and-day outdoor style hunting cameras like people capture dear with. They can snap a photo of a car, tags, facial details that could actually be of use to the cops instead of other solutions that give a false warm and fuzzy feeling to home owners. Granted that good solid motion detecting flood lights around your home can help. Oh, one last thing, if you have a workshop or detached garage, these wireless sensors are a great solution. I've been very happy with the Voice Alert and it even has lugs so you can wire the sound to larger sound systems or home PA systems, and terminals to connect and control other electrical devices. I had one go bad because of the rain getting inside the cover I didn't have secured, and Crosspoint Industries replaced it no questions asked. The 3-4 sensor and base station deals on Ebay are the better values. I researched and bought several other similar systems before finding this one. Chamberland and others we're very poor performers. Good Luck!!!

By the way, a bad guy would never have a clue I knew they were coming, I would be waiting, and they would not have a great day. They would come for my flat screen and leave on a flat board. The good side effect is I always know when UPS and Fedex have arrived with my ammo orders.

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the great feedback, it gives me a lot to think about!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links