Lawsuit filed by bystander in Empire Building shooting.

This is a discussion on Lawsuit filed by bystander in Empire Building shooting. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did not look up the original story but this stems from the incident where the NYPD officers shot up everything except the suspect. NC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lawsuit filed by bystander in Empire Building shooting.

VIP Member

I did not look up the original story but this stems from the incident where the NYPD officers shot up everything except the suspect.

NC woman sues NYPD over Empire State shooting

MINEOLA, N.Y. — A North Carolina college student hit by police gunfire during a shooting outside the Empire State Building argued in a lawsuit Tuesday that the police department and the officers involved need better training to deal with such confrontations in the future.

Nine bystanders, including 32-year-old Chenin Duclos, were hit by police bullets, ricochets and fragments when two officers fired at a man suspected of gunning down a former co-worker outside the Manhattan landmark.

Duclos said in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Manhattan's state Supreme Court that the department and the officers were "grossly negligent" in the way they handled the shooting — firing 16 shots on a crowded street outside one of the world's largest tourist attractions.

Amy Marion, an attorney representing Duclos in the lawsuit, said the NYPD needs to improve training.

"They consistently fail to properly train employees and officers in the settings they will encounter," she said.

The city's law department said officers had to make a quick decision in dealing with a life-threatening situation, and they would be vigorously defended.
    NC woman sues NYPD over Empire State shooting :: WRAL.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What took so long? PDs are accountable for every bullet fired also. Next time they'll only shoot 14 rounds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: Lawsuit filed by bystander in Empire Building shooting.

I'll keep this in mind if I ever feal I'm about to make the choice to use my sidearm.

Do not ever forget the safety rules, especially the one about "knowing your target and what is beyond", especially in a public setting.
    ccman likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    It really is a miracle no one was killed. I wonder if they'll get more training though. Bloomberg has soda bans to deal with an is very, very busy.
    l1a1 and Betty like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It really is a miracle no one was killed. I wonder if they'll get more training though. Bloomberg has soda bans to deal with an is very, very busy.
    Maybe instead of more training they could come out with a NY3 trigger, which requires fifty pounds of pressure to activate the trigger instead of the current 12.
    badger54 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Maybe with the 7 round mag limit they will be unable to shoot as many times.
    accessbob likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

IMO...........Bloomberg should disarm the entire NY Police Dept. .... much like the Bobbies is London.
    No need for more guns on the streets in NYC....You know, the answer is not more guns.....right Mayor ?
    Ban them all .....it works in England why shouldn't it work here ?

I have a friend who is NYPD.......scares me that he is armed in public.

May e they should pass a new law that police can only use 1 bullet magazines. Then maybe this will never happen again.

So, since NYC is so rabidly anti-guns I wonder if they're also anti-training as well, in practice?

Things that make you go "Hmm ..."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Hopefully this incident has made the NYPD rethink their current firearm constraints and make a case to the higher-ups for support.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO...........Bloomberg should disarm the entire NY Police Dept. .... much like the Bobbies is London.
    No need for more guns on the streets in NYC....You know, the answer is not more guns.....right Mayor ?
    Ban them all .....it works in England why shouldn't it work here ?

I have a friend who is NYPD.......scares me that he is armed in public.
    Good point! Why do the NYPD need guns? Aren't guns outlawed in NYC? That means no one has a gun, right? I mean, it is a law.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    May e they should pass a new law that police can only use 1 bullet magazines. Then maybe this will never happen again.
    Then 16 of them would roll up on a scene, each firing one shot.
    OldVet, l1a1, JoJoGunn and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I watched the video of the incident over and over and it is quite apparent that the bad guy had completed his mission and was leaving the scene and with no intent to harm others. When the two officers arrived on scene they should not have attempted an engagement/apprehension in the congested area and their actions did place the bystanders at a high risk of being shot. The life of one innocent bystander is not an acceptable price to pay for the immediate apprehension of one bad guy. 16 rounds fired with only three hits on the bad guy, come on. The city taxpayers will now pay again and rightly so. Just my two cents worth.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Give em muzzleloaders?
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

"Nine bystanders, including 32-year-old Chenin Duclos, were hit by police bullets, ricochets and fragments when two officers fired at a man suspected of gunning down a former co-worker outside the Manhattan landmark."

It would appear that the safest place to be in NYC is right in the police sights. 16 shots, 3 hit the perp, 9 hit bystanders.

Maybe they should hire Andy Griffith as police chief since he never let Barney Fife carry a bullet in his gun

EDIT: 16 shots! That means each officer had more than 7 bullets in his gun. Hizhonner, the Mayor is right, a 7 round limit would have reduced the number of people shot by 2. Living proof Hizhonner is onto something here.
    NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership Member
    Tea Party Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links