Just when I thought this country was too far beyond saving...

Just when I thought this country was too far beyond saving...

This is a discussion on Just when I thought this country was too far beyond saving... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You know...the last few years I've found myself more and more wondering if this country is worth saving. We see all of the bad in ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By packinnova
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By PAPADALE1
  • 1 Post By TX expat

Thread: Just when I thought this country was too far beyond saving...

Thumbs up Just when I thought this country was too far beyond saving...

You know...the last few years I've found myself more and more wondering if this country is worth saving. We see all of the bad in the news daily, but every now and then something like this comes along and gives some measure of hope.

Elected homecoming king gives crown to another student
    Posted: Jan 22, 2013 6:19 PM EST
    By Jamey Tucker, Video Journalist - bio | email

Elected homecoming king gives crown to another student - WKRN, Nashville News, Nashville Weather and Sports

UNIONVILLE, Tenn. -
    Unionville Community High School had a very special moment Friday night.

High school junior Scotty Maloney was named homecoming king after three seniors nominated for the title decided to give him the honor.

Scotty has Williams Syndrome, a neurological disorder that inhibits learning and speech.

On Friday, three seniors nominated for homecoming king decided to give up the crown to Scotty.

"I've been blessed with so many things," said Jesse Cooper who won the popular vote for king. "I just wanted Scotty to experience something great in his high school days."

Cooper, along with Drew Gibbs and Zeke Grissom were all nominated for the honor, but decided as a group that whoever won, would give the crown to Scotty.

"He's always happy, so he deserves some recognition for who he is," Gibbs explained to Nashville's News 2.

After the official announcement Friday night, the school principal told the crowd what the seniors had decided to do.

As Scotty's name was called, the gymnasium filled with students and people in the community, erupted. Scotty's standing ovation went on for 30 seconds.

"It was just a ton of emotion from everybody," Grissom recalled. "I think I saw Scotty shed a few tears. I know Jesse was pretty emotional. We were all emotional out there on the court."

Scotty was awarded the king's medal which has hung around his neck since Friday.

On Tuesday, the high school junior was proudly wearing the medal at school.

Gibbs said while being nominated for King is an honor, seeing Scotty receive the title means more.

"We probably wouldn't even think about it at all. But probably now we'll think about it when we all get together, we'll say, 'Hey remember when Scotty won homecoming king?"

"I wouldn't wear it to school every day. I would put it on my shelf and say thanks for voting for me and him, he's so passionate about it," Cooper added.

Next year, Scotty will crown the school's new homecoming king.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    More of that going around lately. Maybe there's hope yet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Crap, now my monitor is all blurry. Cool story.
    pfries likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting that Pack. IMO there is a lot more of that in our country than the evil we see on the
    news every day.

The truth is that even in our prison population there are plenty of basically good people who simply
    made a bad choice. I know a guy who served two years for a felony, and was lucky it wasn't ten.
    He is a good guy. Dumb one time, but basically a good person. There are far worse amongst us.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A lot of that goes on here and all over the place, just not enough agenda hoopla in it for media vultures.
    pfries likes this.

Dang, that one hit me right in the feelings. There's still a lot of real good kids out there in the world.

VIP Member
    I agree, lots of good kids out there! That was a great article. I especially liked this quote: "I've been blessed with so many things," said Jesse Cooper who won the popular vote for king. "I just wanted Scotty to experience something great in his high school days."

tissue please...
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Good post. Glad to see when I fact checked it real quick, it was 100% genuine! I always hate reading something this good and then find out that it's fiction.

Happy to see that there are some good kids that just get what it means to put something, or someone, before themselves.
    accessbob likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    There are indeed some really great kids out there. Great display of character.

Links