And some of you wonder where the Antis get it...

This is a discussion on And some of you wonder where the Antis get it... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The inflamatory war of words from both sides is starting to get under my skin a bit. Assault weapon, high-capacity magazines, military-style equipment--all these things ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: And some of you wonder where the Antis get it...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

And some of you wonder where the Antis get it...

The inflamatory war of words from both sides is starting to get under my skin a bit. Assault weapon, high-capacity magazines, military-style equipment--all these things the Antis throw out there; and we counter with our own words and reasoning--sporting, hunting, self defence.

Who do you think is feeding the Antis this image of military firearms? In short--we, the pro-gun folks and firearms-related industries.

Do you wonder what scares them, what fuels them and keeps all this in the forefront of their minds, sans the endless spouting of the mass media? Pick up any monthly gun publication and take a look at it; look with an unbiased and assuming mind. What do you see? Ads, lots of ads, which is how the magazines pay for themselves.

Look and see how many ads use the word "tactical" and then ask yourself where the Antis get the "military-style weapons" from?

How many ads show someone dressed in camouflaged clothing mimiking military wear? How about the Sig ad with a M11-A1 spread across the F-18? What does that say to an Anti? Why is a military appearing weapon being advertised to the public, who staunchly claims its fireams aren't "military"? Do we really to plant in their heads that we need that "combat sling" for our military-style assault weapons?

Pages of military-style, combat, tactical, and we then argue back that these are for sporting purposes?

I think this is one point of issue we may have brought down upon ourselves.
    Hopyard and Doghandler like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good point.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The inflamatory war of words from both sides is starting to get under my skin a bit. Assault weapon, high-capacity magazines, military-style equipment--all these things the Antis throw out there; and we counter with our own words and reasoning--sporting, hunting, self defence.

Who do you think is feeding the Antis this image of military firearms? In short--we, the pro-gun folks and firearms-related industries.

Do you wonder what scares them, what fuels them and keeps all this in the forefront of their minds, sans the endless spouting of the mass media? Pick up any monthly gun publication and take a look at it; look with an unbiased and assuming mind. What do you see? Ads, lots of ads, which is how the magazines pay for themselves.

Look and see how many ads use the word "tactical" and then ask yourself where the Antis get the "military-style weapons" from?

How many ads show someone dressed in camouflaged clothing mimiking military wear? How about the Sig ad with a M11-A1 spread across the F-18? What does that say to an Anti? Why is a military appearing weapon being advertised to the public, who staunchly claims its fireams aren't "military"? Do we really to plant in their heads that we need that "combat sling" for our military-style assault weapons?

Pages of military-style, combat, tactical, and we then argue back that these are for sporting purposes?

I think this is one point of issue we may have brought down upon ourselves.
    I have never bought a tacticool gun rag in my life, so I'll excuse myself from the "we".
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    It's not the "tacticool rags," it's almost any of them. American Handgunner, etc.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I don't disagree but I'd bet that most of these anti-gun people don't take even the time to go look at gun magazines to look for justification for their 'fear'. Most of these people have an ignorant, visceral reaction to firearms and they don't really look much past that.

I do get your point, but I'm not sure that the minimal amount of firearms advertisement does any real harm considering it's fairly limited to areas where the acceptance rate for firearms will be high. I would say those dumb 'reality' gun shows that focus on over the top stuff that always ends with junk getting blown apart, would be a considerable source for misconceptions about what your average AR, or other purchasable weapon, will do.
    Betty likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not the "tacticool rags," it's almost any of them. American Handgunner, etc.
    The American Rifleman is the only gun mag I get, and it came with the membership.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    When you present the gun industry with a military image, that's how it wall be taken.
    Hopyard likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't think antis even look at the magazines as much as what they see on TV/movies being rehashed in the news.

If these people did their research, I'm sure many of them would change their minds. But we're talking about people who aren't informed about firearms and who get what they know from the MSM, who keeps spouting the words "military" and "assault" in reference to these firearms.

Frankly, I don't mind using the words "military" in relation to my firearms, such as "I hope the military doesn't come knocking on my door looking for my (non-existent) firearms"
    AngryBadger417 and Spirit51 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Yes, the image anti-gunners get is from the guns they see in ads, industry. Can't say that equates to me/mine "feeding" anyone anything, when an advertiser deems it suitable to call something this or that for marketing purposes.

Of course, regarding some of the terms being used equally by anti-gunners and product makers alike is well taken. The IWI Tavor, for example, is described by IWI themselves as an "assault weapon." But then, that's for their select-fire product. As for cosmetic features such as barrel "shrouds," pistols grips, detachable magazines and adjustable butt stocks, those hardly make an "assault weapon," anymore than li'l Johnnie wearing horns on Halloween makes him the Devil. Regarding such features being called something else, the anti-gunners do that for themselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just did a quick research project, and I do mean quick. I typed "Guns" into Google, Bing, and IXQuick and then clicked images. Google and Bing brought nearly 100% tactical pictures, IXQuick a little less. Some even had blood. These are pictures gleamed from the web and collected by the search engines. Many are paint ball guns looking like a military weapon from the future, some are wallpapers, but all are black, tactical, and as intended, deadly looking. You can talk about what magazines print but I haven't looked at a gun magazine in years and most of the images I see on all the gun sites are of tactical weapons. Tactical gear, tactical training, tactical thought, etc. I really don't care what the anti-gun folks think of this except now we have to contend with them and actually worry about the 2nd amendment. Never thought I'd see the day that would become an issue.

I've said this here before, this tactical mindset might be fun for those participating, but it signals nothing but threats and injury to my mind. Just like the zombies don't bring fluffy bunnies on Easter. So keep playing the macho game, butch it up until you are drowning in testosterone and forced to buy a slingshot for defense. I don't mind, but apparently some people who are after your guns are using this image and mentality to bring supporters to their side and are successful at it. We are not in a war zone guys, so I suggest you drop the posturing and the costumes that pretend that we are. You are communicating in large letters "I am a threat"! And that's not helping us.
    Hopyard, Jeanlouise and OldVet like this.

I understand your point also, but their mind is already set and probably always has been. I think it's about time to just say "Shall not be infringed'' But really most of them don't care about what Our side has to say. I think the gun owners will eventually need to make a much firmer stance on this issue, but too many worry about how we will be portrayed when in the end it wont matter. It's gonna come down to gun owners making it known that we are serious, that we have the right to keep and bear arms that the 2nd amendment is not about hunting and just be honest and tell them many have died to defend this freedom and we no longer care about their view. It's obvious they do not care about our view. Im extremely tired of the argument myself. A lot of people on the gun side dont agree with a lot of the things the other side does and how they are shaping this country for the next generation, but they do what they want anyway. I do think mabey education of these scary weapons might be of little value to a few but just a very few.
    RKflorida and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    The antis don't need a reason. We aren't giving them ammunition. They want all guns gone, not just the black scary ones.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    This MAY Just be the ANSWER.

RKflorida, OldVet, l1a1 and 4 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    This IMO is as important a topic as the parallel one going on about violent video games.
    These images sell, which means they are speaking to something in the psyches of a large number of
    purchasers and potential purchasers.

We often hear the argument that the AR/AK style are just another semi auto; somehow I think they wouldn't
    be viewed negatively and wouldn't be tools of mass slaughter if they had the very same functionality but
    visual design elements of a traditional non-military rifle.

Years back I had a plain old Marlin .22lr; wood stock,
    open sights, semi-auto and 10 rounds (not because of a law or edict but that's how it was made). It was anything
    but "military" in appearance, and I doubt that it would have appeal to those with deranged brainworks.

The .223 which is so popular nowadays could easily be packaged in a 'plain vanilla' non-military and non-tacticool
    semi-auto and --- would it sell? Would it be so popular? I think not.

These advertisers and manufacturers know what they are doing. They know how to tweak something inside
    which sadly, for a few in our society, should not be tweaked.

Yes, our OP Old Vet has a valid point when he asks, "Do you wonder what scares them"
    OldVet likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This MAY Just be the ANSWER.

I want that.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links