sounds kinda fishy to me - Page 3

sounds kinda fishy to me

This is a discussion on sounds kinda fishy to me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The thing that continues to worry me, and has for many years, is how dismissive people are of North Korea. They're third world Their technology ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: sounds kinda fishy to me

The thing that continues to worry me, and has for many years, is how dismissive people are of North Korea.

They're third world
    Their technology is old
    Their people are ignorant
    etc etc

That doesn't mean they aren't a credible threat. More so, if they take aggressive actions it has the potential to reshape the world as we know it. Call it paranoia and laugh it off if you want. I would love to be proven wrong a million times over about this. However they are becoming a nuclear-enabled country. They have openly stated, both in the past and currently, their desire to take down the U.S. and other countries. We've dismissed it before because they represented little threat, but nukes are a huge game changer, and cannot be ignored. Certainly it needs to be handled with more strength then another strongly worded letter and some sanctions. Of course, if we do take actions fiercer than that, it only reinforces their governments propaganda to their people about the evils of the rest of the world.

Realistically it's a small chance, super small, that they would ever take abrupt nuclear military action. However the thing about it that keeps me so worried is that -if- that small chance happens, the impact is it could have is great.

Glass em'.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Somebody give Fat Leader a happy meal for christ sakes that Kimshee has given him a sour disposition
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    We are afraid of this man:
    kim jong-un looking at things
    I don't think he was "Just Looking" at kids socks I think he was shopping for a new pair for himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Re: sounds kinda fishy to me

I am not dismissive. If anything, north Korea is as militaristic of a nation as they come. It's easy to put someone in a uniform, totally different to get a whole country to die for its ideologies. They are poor, because they spend all their money on military tech and weapons. They have China as an ally, someone our government borrows money from. They are, for all terms and purposes, more powerful, militarily, than south Korea. Japan isn't too far away from them. They can launch a full on assault on anyone close enough. They simply do not have the funding to sustain a drawn out war. In this case, they would have to "blitzkrieg." Not a smart move....

Their military is strong, the country as a whole, is not.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    [snip]
    They simply do not have the funding to sustain a drawn out war. In this case, they would have to "blitzkrieg." Not a smart move....
    Their military is strong, the country as a whole, is not.
    That's precisely why I worry. They have to know, at the top, they can't do a sustained war. They can't do a blitzkrieg on foot or by sea. So, if you were dead set on an offense, to shock and awe the world of your power and intent, and to soften the way for your ground forces...wouldn't a nuclear attack be a sound move?

Not in any of our minds maybe, but perhaps in his? I'm not pretending to know what they think, or their motives, at least not on any deep level; however I do not think such a possibility is completely unrealistic. Unlikely? Yes. Something they haven't considered as an option? I'd suspect no, they probably have considered it. Even though nuking an area you want to occupy is a bad idea, and the odds against pulling it off successfully, even with the minimal reaction time afforded to people with depressed trajectory and the like, are low. Even with all logic saying it's a bad idea I just don't feel it can be considered an action they wouldn't take.

Or I could be 100% wrong, and they have absolutely no plans, and it's all posturing and they'll forever remain the way they are. Which would be my preferred outcome. But if we all assumed the improbable is the impossible, none of us would be carrying either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links