sounds kinda fishy to me

This is a discussion on sounds kinda fishy to me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i just saw on the news SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea is warning that it is prepared to conduct a nuclear test and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: sounds kinda fishy to me

sounds kinda fishy to me

i just saw on the news

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea is warning that it is prepared to conduct a nuclear test and carry out more long-range rocket launches.

In a statement carried Thursday by state media, the National Defense Commission in Pyongyang threatened to wage a "full-fledged confrontation" against the U.S. for what it calls continued hostility.

The declaration follows the U.N. Security Council's condemnation of North Korea on Tuesday and expanded sanctions against the regime for launching a rocket in December. North Korea said the launch was a peaceful satellite mission, but the U.S. and others say it was actually a test of long-range missile technology.

do you think that "they" know if the government takes the guns away from every blade of grass in the united states it will be an easier to try and take over our land of the free. there was a reason that our founding fathers put the second amendment.

our government is trying to take our guns away from us and North Korea wants to wage a "full-fledged confrontation" sounds kinda fishy to me.

2. Remove Ads

I'd like to see North Korea attempt to wage an invasion on U.S. soil. To think they could successfully get enough troops here, and supply them, is ridiculous.

Worry more about a nuke strike.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

North Korea makes bold threats against U.S.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/wo...sify.html?_r=0

I've been saying it since Kim Jong Il died that North Korea is going to be an open and abrasive threat. It may or may not be bluster, but I highly suspected that they were going to feel the need to at least rattle the saber at the world and the U.S. in particular. Kim Jong Un isn't the "leader" his father or grandfather were, so they would need to do something that keeps people aware of N.K.'s "power."

Thoughts?

On a random side note: I saw Red Dawn with a buddy a few weeks back. Talk about awkward. Only Korean-ethnicity in a movie about N.K. invading the U.S. What's even more disturbing, to me, is how many dirty looks and long stares I got leaving the theater after. Seriously people? It's a movie. Hell, from what I could tell I've been an American longer than half the people seeing the movie that day had been alive. Goes to show you how easily the sheep are swayed by media, even totally fictitious.

things are only escalating abroad with N Korea, Middle East, etc. We will undoubtably be thrown in the midst of it. If we can't come together as a nation and protect our own here, how are we going to stand up to other nations like N Korea who have a death wish for us?
    AK_Brian and msgt/ret like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

I was in S. Korea back in 2007 when we adopted our son from there and took a tour of the DMZ and the infiltration tunnels from the North. It's really pretty amazing to think that in this day and age a country like N. Korea can still exist in such an insulated way. It's crazy that the majority of their populace is so brainwashed and still believes everyone but China is out to get them.

BillK01 I agree with you. I was adopted from Seoul when I was less than a year old, but we went back often to visit. It always struck me, especially as I got older, how North Korea could keep its citizens so secular and uninformed when their neighbors are so close.

Also kudos to you for adopting :)
    msgt/ret and JoJoGunn like this.

The only way N Korea is a threat to the US or S. Korea is if China gives them an OK which I highly doubt will ever happen. It will be years before N Korea will be close to being able to put a WMD warhead on an ICBM.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    On a random side note: I saw Red Dawn with a buddy a few weeks back. Talk about awkward. Only Korean-ethnicity in a movie about N.K. invading the U.S. What's even more disturbing, to me, is how many dirty looks and long stares I got leaving the theater after. Seriously people? It's a movie. Hell, from what I could tell I've been an American longer than half the people seeing the movie that day had been alive. Goes to show you how easily the sheep are swayed by media, even totally fictitious.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” --Albert Einstein
    AK_Brian and l1a1 like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Much of this bluster is for internal consumption, the state has to keep a perpetual state of military alert to keep the people in line. A very good read on the subject is here:

Amazon.com: The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves and Why It Matters (Melville House Publishing) (9781935554349): B.R. Myers: Books
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Yea,it's areally good time for the king to be trying to gut the military. These people have held a powerful grudge against the United States for quite sometime. Not taking them seriously would be a huge mistake. They sense the weakness of this President and they will take advantage of it, and not only them.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The only way N Korea is a threat to the US or S. Korea is if China gives them an OK which I highly doubt will ever happen. It will be years before N Korea will be close to being able to put a WMD warhead on an ICBM.
    I don't think so. You have a country led by a man with virtually unlimited power (to them) and a military command that does not have full confidence in his leadership. The quickest way to gain the latter is to flex the former. Give them a task, give them a target/scapegoat, and then if push comes to shove, give them marching orders.

They don't even need an ICBM by our standards. They could get froggy and retrofit old tech with boosters and still hit most of the western seaboard.

While I agree it's not likely to happen, we can't remove the unstable variables from the equation. Kim Jong Un is not Kim Jong Il, we don't know enough about him yet to assume he will try to maintain the status quo. Again to me this is more rattling the saber, getting attention and reminding the world that they can't be ignored, but it doesn't take much to swing from posturing to pulling, given the right catalyst.

Distinguished Member
    He is just resorting to the same tactics that our former presidents fell for. Rattle the saber and then we offer finanical aid to get them to quit. They don't quit so we stop aid. rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    BillK01 I agree with you. I was adopted from Seoul when I was less than a year old, but we went back often to visit. It always struck me, especially as I got older, how North Korea could keep its citizens so secular and uninformed when their neighbors are so close.

Also kudos to you for adopting :)
    Thanks Brian it was a great experience and Seoul was an amazing city to visit. We're lucky to have such a great couple of boys. We hope as our boys get older to be able to go back to each of their birthplaces to visit - and I definitely want to visit Seoul again (just not in February like I did before! /brrrrr).

We don't even notice the "dirty looks" we probably still get on occassion with Korean and Filipino sons. It was annoying, shocking and hurtful the first couple of years but I guess you develop thick skin.

I hope you don't mind if I PM you sometime with some more specific questions not related to guns.

VIP Member
    Little fat kid is maintaining a legacy of empty bizarre threats and statements.

We are afraid of this man:
    kim jong-un looking at things
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links