Junior Seau's family sues - Page 3

Junior Seau's family sues

This is a discussion on Junior Seau's family sues within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm My mind is reeling from this. Are you saying that people shouldn't join the military because they might get hurt? Or ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Junior Seau's family sues

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My mind is reeling from this. Are you saying that people shouldn't join the military because they might get hurt? Or because they might get hurt in garrison?
    The take-away I got from that analogy (of equating a steel worker to an athlete on a team to a soldier) is that there is a whole host of motivating factors in most things we do: personal pride, personal dedication to do well, peer pressure (to be seen as doing well, or at least trying to do so), the desire to meet the standards being set by one's leader (manager, captain or commander), fear of being seen to fail, fear of being identified as having reticence or a "case of the Mondays," and so on.

Point being, the roles (job, athlete, soldier) aren't all that different, in terms of the motivating reasons why someone pushes through the pain, attempts to perform the role while hurting (or even injured), performs when asked/commanded.
    Thank you. I thought I stated it pretty clear.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Ah. Well the reason the analogy fails is because if a military member decides to admit to an injury or ask for recovery time, his unit will be a man short, and potentially dead/wounded. In football, his team will sub in another person, and potentially lose a game. There are times when it is necessary to "push through" an injury - even a concussion - in the military. In football, no ones life is on the line - it's just money, and a game.

Or maybe I don't care as much about football as some people do.

Or maybe I don't like my friends dying...

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Ah. Well the reason the analogy fails is because if a military member decides to admit to an injury or ask for recovery time, his unit will be a man short, and potentially dead/wounded. In football, his team will sub in another person, and potentially lose a game. There are times when it is necessary to "push through" an injury - even a concussion - in the military. In football, no ones life is on the line - it's just money, and a game.

Or maybe I don't care as much about football as some people do.

Or maybe I don't like my friends dying...

Austin
    Look, read my post again OK. I made sure it was PERFECTLY clear that I was talking about garrison. Even went out of my way to make sure nobody could be confused on the intent. I don't know how to make it more crystal clear. I even went as far to specifically say in a reply that the analogy only extended to inuries, nothing more than that. You sir, are looking way into what I wrote. I am a very direct and specific person.

Freud said that sometimes a bananna is just a bannana.

The post had nothing to do with combat. Read the post again and if you don't understand the intent feel free to keep replying here or you can PM me.

Sir, you explain to me where specifically I stated in my words, not yours, where I was talking about soldiers in combat, how it would affect a unit in combat?

And I have no idea what you have done in the military but do you want a soldier hiding an injury or illness? I would want to know as a leader what the status of my soldiers are so I can make the determination if we can accomplish the mission.

I do not want a soldier with a head cold to say they can do a MFF (military free fall) jump from 25K feet because HE felt it would help the mission. I want that soldier to tell me becuase his sinus and ears can be so screwed up when he lands that he is not combat effective.
    I don't want that soldier to hide a knee injury if we to hump up some mountain in the A'stn becuase he might not just make it or be less combat effective.
    I do not want a soldier that has burstis in his shoulder hiding it becasue he wants to make the mission, don't want a soldier hiding the fact he is coming down with the flu just before going out in the boonies for a few days.

Those are the things that can get a soldier killed or his buddies. Let the leader decide how to plan the mission without that soldier or use him in a different role.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links