Really? Really? - Page 3

Really? Really?

This is a discussion on Really? Really? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [QUOTE=Sig35seven;2571854] Originally Posted by SCXDm9 By reducing the amount of meat and cheese and not telling the customer yet charging the same price is cheating ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Really? Really?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Sig35seven;2571854]
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post

By reducing the amount of meat and cheese and not telling the customer yet charging the same price is cheating the customer. A company that sits around and thinks of ways to give their customers less and less so they can make more and more is NOT who I want to give my business to.
    Is that a general statement or are you a suggesting Subway does that?

Out of curiosity I measured a footlong I got maybe two months back. It was 11". You know what I did? I ate it and went on with my day.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I worked at subway along with my dad and his gf and her nephew..
    I did'nt read the link but I'm guessing womeone measured there five dollar footlong,and it was an inch short or two..
    So there trying to sue...That's funny..
    I mean were not machnes..And couldnt do it absolutely perfect everytime..
    I mean with experience you should be able to do it almost perfect every time..along with i was trained that it should never take over like a minute to make a sandwich.
    Which I always maintained..
    And sometimes I'd have a soccer team come in or a school trip and make like 10 sandwiches at a time all lined up..
    Instead of doing like 1 or two at a time..
    Anyways yeh flatbread is bombb to..
    Ha those were the days..
    But then The window got broken,and they could tell it was from the outside..The people who fixed the glass..
    And the manager hated me..so he said someone saw me throw a trash can at the window and break it ha..
    and they were coming down to identify me..they never came down but I ended up walking out..long story short..
    I wont get into that though

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I agree with some points...however, what if your local gas station wanted to gain an edge over their competition and instead of giving you a gallon of gas for $3.50 they cut back the amount of gas to 7/8ths of a gallon. They are charging the same amount yet giving you less product without the customer knowing it. The point here is that people don't know they're being cheated and the corporation is getting away with it. (of course the gasoline industry is government controlled so they can't do such unscrupulous business practices but they used to).

I agree that the law suit is stupid but it does expose them for what they are.
    I get what you're saying, but I believe there's a different expectation with food and gasoline. Fuel volume is measured to make sure the pumps are dispensing what they say they are dispensing, but there is so much variance between the ingredients in sandwiches that such measures aren't enforced. We just accept that the sandwich made for me last week might not be identical to the one I ordered today, in length or weight, even though I ordered the same thing off the menu.

I get mad when McDonalds gives me a medium fry, half-filled. I paid for a medium, not a small. I'll ask them to top it off if I care that much about it, but I don't think it's worthy of a lawsuit.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

[QUOTE=SCXDm9;2572081]

Is that a general statement or are you a suggesting Subway does that?
    Subway does exactly that. They think of ways they can give the customer as little as possible and charge the same amount.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Please fill me in on your back ground so that I will understand how you know "Subway does exactly that". Are you part of Subway's product development team? Do work for a Subway advertising firm? Or maybe you are just a customer that only shows up at $5 footlong time to complain that its still not enough. There are plenty of other Sub venders out there, Quizno's, Jersey Mike, Jimmy Johns, Firehouse...ect... take your pick, oh yeah they are all more expensive than Subway. We are VERY in touch with costs and value and do our best to control both and still make money.

Times are tough. PM me your address and I'll mail you some coupons to help you out a little.
    OD* and thephanatik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I believe there's a different expectation with food and gasoline. Fuel volume is measured to make sure the pumps are dispensing what they say they are dispensing, but there is so much variance between the ingredients in sandwiches that such measures aren't enforced. We just accept that the sandwich made for me last week might not be identical to the one I ordered today, in length or weight, even though I ordered the same thing off the menu.

I get mad when McDonalds gives me a medium fry, half-filled. I paid for a medium, not a small. I'll ask them to top it off if I care that much about it, but I don't think it's worthy of a lawsuit.
    Agreed, not worth the law suit. However, don't kid yourself, Subway measures every ounce, every slice of meat and cheese that goes into that sandwich and it will NEVER be over in favor of the customer. If there is so much "variance" from sandwich to sandwich then let me know the next time you see one 13". The "variance" you speak of is always in their favor.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Agreed, not worth the law suit. However, don't kid yourself, Subway measures every ounce, every slice of meat and cheese that goes into that sandwich and it will NEVER be over in favor of the customer. If there is so much "variance" from sandwich to sandwich then let me know the next time you see one 13". The "variance" you speak of is always in their favor.
    I probably won't see a 13" sub (though I might: I don't measure them so I won't be able to know), just like I doubt I'll ever get a quarter pounder that's bigger than a quarter of a pound of meat. But that's not exactly what I'm talking about, though it's part of it. I'm talking more about the amount of cheese the "artist" puts on it, or the amount of sauce in the meatball marinara. Even the bread of the sandwich appears to be "adjusted" the night before, but can vary from day to day.

Humans are involved in the making of these things, and humans make mistakes and fluctuate in their processes, being the inconsistent creatures that we are. That's why I sometimes get onions in my Taco Bell burritos even though I specifically asked them not to put onions in them and I paid for the product according to that condition. I'll say that I've sometimes gotten more fries in my bag or an extra nugget in my box. Sometimes I'm given a large drink instead of the medium I ordered.

Sometimes these things work in my favor, but more often than not, they don't. Back in Georgia, there was a particular Taco Bell I used to go to on my way home from my college commute, and they would always short me something. I rarely ever got more than I ordered, but I frequently got less. I always had to check my bag before I left the window because of this. It could have been a management decision to purposefully screw over customers, or it could have just been that the "talent" was lacking in their training, organization, or moral compass. Who knows?

If this is really the practice of Subway to reduce the amount of stuffings in their sandwiches or if they purposefully give less bread, then that's a practice that may or may not come back to bite them in the rear. If you don't like how a business does its business, then you can stop going there, tell others not to go there, report them to the BBB, or give a scathing review on one of the many websites that exist for such a thing.

They are a business, and they make business decisions that are in the best interest (or so they think) of themselves, not the general public, unless those two are tied together to affect profitability. To expect differently is to deny the natural human condition, which seeks itself first before others.

As Yoda would have said.. "Eat. Or eat not. There is no cry"
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sig35seven

If a Subway isn't measuring every ounce, every slice of meat and cheese... even counting napkins!!!! They are not making money. Subway, like a lot of things use to be an easy way to make money but now its a game of pennies. I can also tell you the kid behind the counter could not care less what my food cost is and if my expirence is the norm and other owners tell me it is, you are far more likely to get more than you paid for than less.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Please fill me in on your back ground so that I will understand how you know "Subway does exactly that". Are you part of Subway's product development team? Do work for a Subway advertising firm? Or maybe you are just a customer that only shows up at $5 footlong time to complain that its still not enough. There are plenty of other Sub venders out there, Quizno's, Jersey Mike, Jimmy Johns, Firehouse...ect... take your pick, oh yeah they are all more expensive than Subway. We are VERY in touch with costs and value and do our best to control both and still make money.

Times are tough. PM me your address and I'll mail you some coupons to help you out a little.
    Yup subway is the cheap one. As I mentioned all they do is think of ways to cheapen the product. Ways to give the customer LESS without the customer knowing about it. There is a big difference between being cheap and being deceitful. All the vendors that you mentioned do cost more because they give you more and make a better sub than subway.

A basic rule of business that Subway has over looked is that when you advertise a sub to be 12" it had better be 12". It's really not that hard to do. Do you know that when you order a 'foot long' hot dog it comes in at 12" ? Pretty amazing huh? But yet Subway, for some reason, just can't do what the hot dog guys have done for years. Let's not kid each other, you know and I know the reason it's not 12" is they got caught scrimping. They got TOO cheap and they got caught.

I am NOT a customer nor will I ever be one. Not even if you give me coupons for free subs I wouldn't use them. There is NOTHING about Subway I like. But thanks so much for the generous offer.

Senior Moderator
    This thread was a critique about sue happy Americans

not about how crappy fast food is
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links