Just had a cop trash my house and search my room

This is a discussion on Just had a cop trash my house and search my room within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well like some of you know my brother is on house arrest, well yesterday he went and got his ankle monitor. Today two cops came ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Just had a cop trash my house and search my room

Just had a cop trash my house and search my room

Well like some of you know my brother is on house arrest, well yesterday he went and got his ankle monitor. Today two cops came into my house without knocking or asking if they could come in (just a common courtesy to the average human being) they started tearing through all the food in the cupboards and fridge, the flipped over my couch, then they calmed Down for 2 seconds and I told one officer that I had a concealed handgun and as soon as the word handgun came out of my mouth he snapped and grabbed his gun and told me not to move, then he snatched the gun off of my waist and tried to unload it, which he couldn't because I have it switched to left handed (glock 19). So I asked if he needed help and told him that I had 2 more guns. He said no and kept tearing through my room. After 10 Mounties of him going throughy drawers and closets he ask where I had my guns "hid" so I went and got my other handgun And my mossberg 500 from underneath my bed. After all of this he arrested my brother because of my guns and told me I was lucky I wasn't being arrested for concealing a handgun without informing him I had a gun earlier. I told him it was my house and that in WV I did not have to tell him I had a gun on my person unless he asked.he didn't believe me and just slammed my door instead

So I guess there is no point to this story except that I had to deal with a very unpleasant LEO today. The officer that searched my brothers room told me that I should take my guns somewhere else even though technically my brother was not in possession of them that if officer no.1 came back he could charge my brother with a felony and violate his house arrest. I feel so wronged by the way this cop acted towards me for owning firearms. Some of the things he said made me think that he was not very pro 2a (like why do you need more than 1 handgun and more than 100 rounds of ammo what are you planning on doing)

So what do you guys think? Am I just being sensitive? How would you feel about someone coming into your home and going through your things?
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Contact a lawyer.
    aus71383, ccman, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Contact a lawyer.
    A good one.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If it was my house, my brother wouldn't be on "house arrest" anymore.

He'd be looking for somewhere else to be on house arrest, or staying at the grey bar hotel.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    A good one.
    I think even a bad one can handle this one.
    TX expat and oneshot like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Wow. First mistake, letting your brother in without understanding the rules of his house arrest and
    what he and you agreed to with regard to him being monitored.

Second mistake, if he has ever had a felony conviction he and you should know better to have the guns in the
    house. If you want to keep them, make sure they are locked up.

Third, this probably isn't the place to be posting what occurred, and though you'll get lots of free advice
    it will be worth what you paid for it. And that includes my own comments.

Fourth, it is within the realm of the possible that your rights were indeed violated, but only an attorney who
    practices where you live can properly advise you about how you might prevent the same thing from happening
    again, while still allowing your brother to remain in your care.
    NMB, atctimmy, oneshot and 8 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

That's what I told my brother I was going to do. I understand the cop has to inspect the house, but I wasn't trying to hide anything, I told him right from the start that I had 3 guns in the house and exactly where they were but he trashed my whole house anyways. I think they could have handled like a professional instead of a bully
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

File a complaint and get a lawyer.

There is one thing i would want to know.How can they just come in a home that's yours,without asking?I would be talking to someone about this.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    There is one thing i would want to know.How can they just come in a home that's yours,without asking?I would be talking to someone about this.
    I'm sure that's part of the "agreement" for being on house arrest. It was probably all spelled out in the court documents if anyone cared to read them all the way through.

Similar to posting bond with a bail bondsman. You give them the authority to pursue you across state lines and into any structure you may be hiding, without a search warrant if you fail to appear in court when you agree to.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Technically speaking he is correct in saying you both are in violation. If your brother knew the guns were in the house, even though he did not have physical posession of a gun, he is guilty of constructive posession. Be careful of telling the police what the law is, they don't mind being scolded by the judge a little as long as it cost you alot of time and money to defend yourself. They'll arrest you anyway, cause you to get an attorney,bail out and go through alot of legal hassel and take the scolding, and as soon as they leave the courtroom, they wiil get a big laugh out of it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Yup. His brother didn't just magically appear in the house with an ankle bracelet. Somewhere along the
    way our OP signed or otherwise agreed to terms in order for his brother to be set "free" to the extent he has
    been set "free."

There's an easy way out for our OP if he finds the rules too burdensome. Of course as OP probably
    loves his brother its better to put up with the crap and let him stay where he is safest; in the OP's home.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I am going to get a copy of his house arrest agreement. If I was in the wrong by keeping guns in my room I can accept that. I was just mad about the whole thing and their attitude about it but besides that its my problem and I'm the one that needs to deal with it. Thank you guys though! I'll check his agreement and see what it says about firearms.

File a complaint, get a lawyer.

VIP Member
    I would guess that the brother signed a statement saying that there would be no weapons in the house as part of his house arrest. I don't think the OP can get in any legal trouble there since it's not he who signed or agreed to anything (I'm assuming). What would concern me is multiple officers talking about arresting him for something. I'd want to seek legal representation before they decide to come back and charge him with something.
    Hopyard and Poseidon like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links