What critter ate this?

What critter ate this?

This is a discussion on What critter ate this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This very morning I watched this "critter" eat his breakfast. After he left, I walked out there curious to see what, if any, remains were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What critter ate this?

VIP Member

What critter ate this?

This very morning I watched this "critter" eat his breakfast. After he left, I walked out there curious to see what, if any, remains were left. At the top of the photo is the fresh remains of a picked over catfish head, I happened to see this older turtle shell was nearby and made me suspicious that the turtle had been a breakfast a few days ago.

What critter do you think ate this catfish?
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My first guess would be a Raccoon. With maybe a shrew, crow or insects picking at the remains.
    goldshellback likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Gollum.

He loves his fish raw and wriggling.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Raccoon? Maybe otter? Both will eat about anything.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Racoon?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I was thinking a hawk or eagle.

Senior Moderator
    I would guess otter
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    This very morning I watched this "critter" eat his breakfast.
    Well, can you describe the 'critter'? Wings, fur, fins, fire breathing?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well, can you describe the 'critter'? Wings, fur, fins, fire breathing?
    I hope he doesn't say "all of the above"...
    ppkheat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I would say a bird of prey caught the fish unless some fisherman threw it up on the bank. A raccoon wouldnt capture the catfish but he would scavange it. I'll stick with bird of prey. Final answer.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Sasquatch,I hear they love dingle berries too
    mano3 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I was thinking a hawk or eagle.
    That's it right there........an eagle. I ran a thread about their frequent visits here back in October and put a photo of one on it. I didn't get a picture today (it would have been too tiny), but there is a fair picture in the thread below. I don't know if it's the same eagle? I need to get a digital camera with a impressive zoom on it, any recommendations?

This trespassing fisherman welcome here any time.

BTW, this morning the eagle flew away from his breakfast area to a high spot in another tree. We were watching him in the other tree as coincidentally a herd of cows began walking toward and under his tree. I'm sure he saw them and wasn't bothered at all, in fact there are houses, dogs, trucks, etc nearby. My neighbor and I decided to walk to the breakfast tree and wondered if he'd spook as we made our presence known. We made it all the way to the breakfast tree and that put us about 100 yds from the other tree he was in. He stayed there for a good while and finally flew off, he didn't seem panicked, he just flew around awhile, and we had other things to do and left ourselves.

I like looking at them. They do love a fish, like I love a 2A.
    Lotus222 and atctimmy like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Another kind of fisherman

My brother lives on a large lake in Indiana. There is an eagle nest in a tree near their boat dock. Sometimes when my brother catches a fish, if the eagle is in his nest, my brother will throw it into the air as high as he can, and the eagle will swoop down and catch the fish in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    That's it right there........an eagle. I ran a thread about their frequent visits here back in October and put a photo of one on it. I didn't get a picture today (it would have been too tiny), but there is a fair picture in the thread below. I don't know if it's the same eagle? I need to get a digital camera with a impressive zoom on it, any recommendations?

This trespassing fisherman welcome here any time.

BTW, this morning the eagle flew away from his breakfast area to a high spot in another tree. We were watching him in the other tree as coincidentally a herd of cows began walking toward and under his tree. I'm sure he saw them and wasn't bothered at all, in fact there are houses, dogs, trucks, etc nearby. My neighbor and I decided to walk to the breakfast tree and wondered if he'd spook as we made our presence known. We made it all the way to the breakfast tree and that put us about 100 yds from the other tree he was in. He stayed there for a good while and finally flew off, he didn't seem panicked, he just flew around awhile, and we had other things to do and left ourselves.

I like looking at them. They do love a fish, like I love a 2A.
    Sweet, what do I win!?

I was going to guess it was a congressman, after all, they are wasteful and will scavenge items from anyone they do not have to pay for themselves... Besides, you did say "critter" and that could be construed as "vermin."
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links