Just how far will things go before we wake up ...

This is a discussion on Just how far will things go before we wake up ... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I do wish we had a place to discuss some things like this on this board, as there are many posters here that I find ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By GraySkies
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Just how far will things go before we wake up ...

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

Just how far will things go before we wake up ...

I do wish we had a place to discuss some things like this on this board, as there are many posters here that I find are reasonable, respectful, insightful and intelligent and capable of discussing things like this as adults. However I do respect the forum rules, expect this thread to be closed shortly, and am attempting to only offer this information as something that people should be aware of and as food for thought.

Consider, if you really don't think the administration is attempting to become completely and totally pervasive and controlling, the ramifications of the pronouncement you can find at this link.

Imagine just how much the government could control with this sort of "collaboration" going on.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Threats to our infrastructure from cyber attack is real. Our infrastructure grid is wide open and vulnerable. The problem is, it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Giving the government control over the internet is not the solution. As we all know the government is incapable of performing such cyber security tasks without their natural desire to infringe on the privacy rights of it's citizens.

I see nothing but problems with Janet "Big Sis" Napolitano at the helm.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When the US dropped the first Atomic bomb on Japan, they couldn't believe we had mustered up that kind of firepower. They just knew we couldn't do it a second time and assumed we were bluffing ...until we dropped number 2. No one had seen anything like it. The atomic bomb was destruction on an unimaginable instantaneous scale.

People are naive. They think the biggest threats to our species is global warming from cow farts and automobiles. Given the time and technology, there will be real threats out there. Eventually, something will spring up like the Atomic bomb. Something that people will think couldn't happen - because it will be kept secret, and no one will know about it. It will just happen to the tune of an agenda from someone or somewhere.

With modern life relying so heavily on the internet, computers, and electronics in general... I think it is a real possibility of a cyber attack. Imagine the whole nation being shut down by a computer supervirus.

Now, should the people of the US allow the federal government the ability to control that infrastructure in its entirety for the "safety" of the people? Personally, I don't think they are capable, and I'd rather take my chances with the private sector. If something does happen and our country is attacked on a massive scale, electronically, I think the people of the US are intuitive enough to resolve the outcome on their own. The feds should supplement any way they can. Secure the military. Secure their government infrastructure. ...But have a hand on the on/off switch of the entire utility grid (cable, internet, power, water, gas, etc.) for the entire nation? Plus have access to every citizens private information? No thanks. Look at how the government botched Katrina, Libya, Sandy, fast and furious, the deficit, etc... Honestly, this appears to be another power grab by the feds under the vice of a scare tactic. Just like what is happening with the current nation-wide gun control fiasco. If they really wanted to be helpful, they would be warning the public and utility companies of truly potential threats so that we could safe-guard ourselves instead of relying on big brother to run the show.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I don't disregard the potential of the threat at all, I believe an EMP could do this tomorrow.

I just have issues with the government deciding they need to force companies to cooperate with spying on the use of cyber world.
    I believe in the power of free enterprise and the ability of the private sector to prevent most of what Nappy Napolitano is talking about.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have said before and will continue to say to any and all who will listen:

DO NOT GIVE MORE CONTROL OF ANYTHING TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

As a federal employee I am daily witness to the fact that big government bureaucratic agencies SCREW UP EVERYTHING THEY TOUCH.

We manage to eke our way along and keep our military readiness going from day to day because of individual dedicated folks who are fighting their way through the system all the time to get done what needs to get done. If they quit fighting the good fight from their personal integrity and started simply working to the "rules" and the "system", it would quickly paralyse the whole works.

I say almost every day that if our agency was a "for profit" business, we'd have been out of business 75 years ago. The higher up you go from the local level in government the smaller the percentage of your dollar actually serves the end purpose and the more gets used up in waste, fraud, abuse, and simple monstrous inertia.

I don't entirely trust the private sector to put the good of people over the almighty dollar, but I don't trust the federal government AT ALL.
    Lotus222 likes this.

IMO............better be soon.

I'm a big fan (with genuine confidence) in free-market capitalism to level things out ONLY when it's allowed to RUN. Restriction, control, centralization & oversight (especially the governmental kinds) are usually, at best, a bloated, bureaucratic, parasitic drag on capitalism's naturally smooth efficiency. At worst, those red-tape roadblocks are simple TYRANNY. Let's stop fooling ourselves, these folks are making all these moves for their OWN good...not for ours!
    Lotus222 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links