Official Zealous D.A. Thread

This is a discussion on Official Zealous D.A. Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Often when we're discussing scenarios or weighing out contingencies of what a person should, could or might have done if he/she were the protagonist in ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Official Zealous D.A. Thread

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Often when we're discussing scenarios or weighing out contingencies of what a person should, could or might have done if he/she were the protagonist in a defensive anecdote, sometimes we'll mention the consequence of our actions in light of the over zealous district attorney (D.A.) We'll say things like, "well if you do that, a D.A. might do this or that and hang you by your toenails". I don't doubt that there are over zealous D.A.s out there trying to make a name for themselves. I don't doubt that an over zealous D.A. could care less if he has to sacrifice a law abiding citizen as a way to make a name for him or herself. I would like, however, to examine this and put the rubber to the road in a sense. I'd like to hear of real life stories where an over zealous D.A. pulled out all the stops to convict someone that was justifiably defending themselves. If at all possible, post a link to the story if there is one published on the internet. If not, just share what you know about a situation but do all that you can to keep the story honest and refrain from embellishing. If you're sharing something about persons that you know, you might want to refrain from using real names just to be safe - as a way to avoid libel.

I think it'll be interesting to see what D.A.s have gotten by with but this is by no means an effort to trash-talk lawyers or the profession, thereof. Let's please also avoid trash talking judges as well as LEOs or this will be a real short thread - as it will be a prime lock-down candidate per an administrator shutting it down.

Here's one to get you started: Harold Fish Defense

You may have to read through a lot of the associated links to find the notes of the prosecutors' office meetings, but this case clearly fits the "over zealous prosecutor" description, IMO.
    aus71383, atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks, gasmitty, I'll be sure to look it over. ;-)

Locally, I've seen quite the opposite. Folks that I thought would face charges did not. Not that I necessarily minded in the cases it happened in. And in at least one the details the news reported were quite different than the final statement from the DA. I don't have any news reports, but there was a local incident where the responding officers had to convince the DA not to press charges. From what I heard he was gung ho to prosecute on a clear cut SD shooting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Withheld relevant DNA evidence to win. It makes you wonder how often this happens. How often does it occur and no one cries foul? I wonder how many go through before one is ever prosecuted for such?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son works with a lot of AGs and he says they are sticklers at making sure they cover all the bases before arrest/prosecution.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I worked on this case with Nick Marsh. It's not nice to speak evil of the dead, so I will bite my tongue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/op...vens.html?_r=0

Nicholas Marsh, Ted Stevens Prosecutor, Dead In Apparent Suicide

I was not involved in any way in the withholding of evidence and did not know it was happening at the time.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Links